Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Selecting text in Windows

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    travis

One thing that has bothered me tremendously since Windows 95 (I think that was the first time I've noticed it) is how Windows automatically selects an entire word for you when you're selecting text with the mouse.  It seems to be worse for certain apps than others, but I'm pretty sure it's a universal Windows behavior.

Will this behavior remain in Longhorn?  Will there at least be a way to disable this "feature" (Control Panel, regedit, etc.)?

• User profile image
    Aardvark

I wouldn't call it universal, standard UI gadgets such as edit boxes *don't* do this by default, nor do I see anyway, without custom code, to make them do this.

In other words its not Windows doing this, but each application.

Maybe the "rich text control" in Windows has built in word selection? I know "Wordpad" is based off that Windows control, and it can turn that word-selection behavior on and off? Anyone?

• User profile image
    curwiler

It's not univeral, it's set by the application. I turn this "feature" off myself as I hate it. For example, in Word 2003, go to Tools->Options, select the Edit tab, and then uncheck the "When selecting..." checkbox. Voila, no more selecting entire words.

-Chuck

• User profile image
    travis

curwiler wrote:
    It's not univeral, it's set by the application. I turn this "feature" off myself as I hate it. For example, in Word 2003, go to Tools->Options, select the Edit tab, and then uncheck the "When selecting..." checkbox. Voila, no more selecting entire words.

-Chuck

Sweet, thanks.  Any idea how to disable it in IE? (And all the apps that use an embedded version of it)

• User profile image
    rheaney

I think the behaviour is quite useful sometimes.

But to select part of the word in any app that uses it, let the whole word get selected, then pull the cursor in the opposite direction over said word. This will allow partial selection quite easily.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.