Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Logitech customer support

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

FTW

Why can't more companies be like Logitech?

Back in late 2003 someone spilled juice on my mouse and some of the buttons became unresponsive. I gave Logitech a call to ask what they recommend I do (like sending it in for repairs), instead they asked for my address and sent me out a brand new one, no questions asked, just that I mail in the battery door cover and USB connector as proof of purchase.

The replacement mouse has served me well since Feburary 2004 when it arrived, but the front thumb-button is failing a bit, and there's an actual safety concern with it. The charging contacts get very hot during charging and the plastic has begun to melt and crack around the contacts (!!) this is a very real fire risk (since I usually charge it overnight), so I called up Logitech again, looking for repair/advice options.

Instead they said they're going to ship out an Mx1000 mouse (blimey!)

They said there will be a 14-day delay and that I should send in the battery door cover and USB connector once the Mx1000 arrives.

Compare this with my problem with Toshiba. I had to present a legal threat to get any results....and it still hasn't arrived.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Funny, I was thinking about MS hardware support at the weekend. It's been two months since I sent off the warrenty upgrade for my 360. And have heard *nothing* at all.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Logitech are both good and bad.

I have a Logitech Z5400 Digital speaker system. Fantastic sound for the price. But like most Logitech speakers it has issues with EM emissions from other devices. Whenever I switch on my desk light, and at other random times, I hear a loud 'bang' through the speakers. With my Z5400 it's not really problematic, it happens only occasionally and never really bad. Owners of the Z5500 have however reported far worse trouble: far louder and more frequent "explosions", a persistent buzz or even radio reception on their speakers. Because of my own speakers, I have followed accounts of these problems with great interest.

Like in your case, Logitech was very forthcoming, sending replacement speaker sets, no questions asked, and all the owner had to send back were the speaker wire plugs, and in some cases the "pod" (the box with the volume controls and the decoder hardware).

But some people had after a while received five or more new speaker sets, all with the same problem. And still Logitech refused to acknowledge that there was something inherently wrong with their speakers.

After more than a year, Logitech finally provided a modified Z5500, and replaced the unit for free for anyone who owned one (no provisions exist yet for owners of other sets such as my own Z5400). It appears the modified Z5500 reduces, but does not eliminate, the problem. Most people still feel the level of problems is unacceptable. Logitech first claimed they couldn't further modify the speakers, which wasn't true. They also still maintain it's only a small problem. They have now agreed to further modify the set. And so the story goes on...

So yeah, they're quite easy about replacements. But if that doesn't solve your problem, you're stuck.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:

Instead they said they're going to ship out an Mx1000 mouse (blimey!)

They said there will be a 14-day delay and that I should send in the battery door cover and USB connector once the Mx1000 arrives.

I've not used the Mx1000, but I have a G5, and I can't say enough good things about laser mice for gaming. 

It looks like the Mx1000 has a slightly different button layout and I can't tell if it has the 'weights', but other than that, you are going completely dig this mouse when it shows.

• User profile image
    Chadk

I have had 3 cases with logitech.

Its a very good service(Beside that if you wait more then 3-4 minuts, you get switched over to the customer support in the netherlands).
    The first 2 times, they sent me 2 brand new MX 5000 keyboards, i just had to send back in the small Bluetooth dongle, no problem!

I also know a guy, that had one of the smaller versions of the Mx5000 sets(MxX000 it was). It didnt work very well, he called logitech, which asked him for his adress, and he got a new Mx5000 set. Thats quite a difference in price!

But the last issue i had, was with my Logitech v400 wireless notebook mouse. It began, when you plugged it in, to lock random things on explorer. On my 1. machine, it locked everything but the desktop. On my 2. Computer it locked everything but the start menu, on my 3. computer it did something else, etc.
    And just a few days before that, it worked just fine, in the same second as you plugged it in.
    It helped to install the drivers, despite it had been running for at least 2 months without. Since i use it on alot of computers, this is NOT a solution, to install the drivers. But Logitech didn't want to help me anymore, they said that the mouse worked at intended.
    But it was obivious that the small usb pen thing was broked somehow, and send signals that made the driver lock up, and take explorer with it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:
    I've not used the Mx1000, but I have a G5, and I can't say enough good things about laser mice for gaming. 

It looks like the Mx1000 has a slightly different button layout and I can't tell if it has the 'weights', but other than that, you are going completely dig this mouse when it shows.

I'm more concerned about my sweaty palms corroding the surface of the mouse.

....as well as the "pressability" of the three thumb-buttons. On the Mx700 they're discrete buttons you can easily press, but on the Mx1000 they look like a cheap "clicker" that won't hold up to much pressing.

• User profile image
    Angus

Thanks for the information W3bbo. I will probably consider Logitech next time I want to buy a keyboard or mouse. Customer service is a vital aspect of a business as things invariably go wrong and I don't want to pay double the price to sort them out.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:

ScanIAm wrote: I've not used the Mx1000, but I have a G5, and I can't say enough good things about laser mice for gaming. 

I'm more concerned about my sweaty palms corroding the surface of the mouse.

....as well as the "pressability" of the three thumb-buttons. On the Mx700 they're discrete buttons you can easily press, but on the Mx1000 they look like a cheap "clicker" that won't hold up to much pressing.

Again, my point of view is from the G5 (so, YMMV), but I compared them both when I got the G5 and they were similar.  (I don't trust wireless latency).  The buttons don't feel cheap, and they have some heft to them.  The only way I can relate how they feel is if you ever saw/touched an old apple II case...it's a kind of hard plastic.

As for the sweaty palms, I have the same problem, and the shape and surface of the mouse makes up for it.  In fact, I was gaming at night (in the dark) and had spilled some water on the mouse when I took a drink.  I didn't notice it until the cursor started to act up.  Apparently, lasers don't go through water so well Smiley

While you wait for them to ship it, you could test it out at a computer store...most of ours have all of the better mice out with a safety/theft cord attached so you can get a feel for them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.