Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

<sarcasm>Firefox did <mock emphasis>WHAT</mock emphasis>?</sarcasm>

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ambition

Firefox rips off IE's Favourites menu 

Enough said. If you want to try Firefox 3.0a for yourself go to http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-3.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe.

I apologise if this has already been raised - I couldn't see it.

Edit: Sorry for the lack of clarity. I'm basically trying to say: look Open Source Zealots who claim Microsoft is the only company that ever copied anything - Firefox did it too - OMGZ

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Firefox is a blatant ripoff of Opera, Safari and IE 6. Just like most OpenSource projects, they don't innovate, they steal.

Are you really shocked that those pirates are stealing the latest thing? I'm not.

I figure that they will ship this newest version of Firefox before IE 7 and then claim that IE 7 is ripping them off, or though the Firefox zealots the same end.

• User profile image
    Rossj

What am I missing? I'm looking at your screen shot and can't see what the complaint is about.

• User profile image
    matt0210

It's a bookmarks window with a search box. wow...
    Do you want me to post Safari's rendition of this staggering and ground breaking innovation?
    What is your gripe? I don't understand...

• User profile image
    die-Sel

Rossj wrote:
    What am I missing? I'm looking at your screen shot and can't see what the complaint is about.

same here, you really should explain better, a screenshot just doesnt prove much, to me it looks like they have just added another function to the sidebar

• User profile image
    Ambition

UnoriginalGuy wrote:
    Firefox is a blatant ripoff of Opera, Safari and IE 6. Just like most OpenSource projects, they don't innovate, they steal.

Are you really shocked that those pirates are stealing the latest thing? I'm not.

I figure that they will ship this newest version of Firefox before IE 7 and then claim that IE 7 is ripping them off, or though the Firefox zealots the same end.

That's exactly my point. I didn't even like the "innovative" favorites menu style in the first place.

If it pleases you I will alter my post to portray the feelings that you people seem to have misinterpreted so easily.

• User profile image
    Rossj

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

It is entirely possible that the FF guys will get 2 version of the product out before IE7 ships Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Why is it I remember Netscape having this "feature", you know a sidebar, back in the early/mid 90's? I fail to see the origional poster's issue, maybe coz it was written from a tabbed browser window??? Big Smile

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Damn, this sux,  it's like when all those other car manufacturers copied Ford and put 4 wheels on their cars Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

UlsterFry wrote:
    Damn, this sux,  it's like when all those other car manufacturers copied Ford and put 4 wheels on their cars

Joke or not, that's a very poor and disingenuous analogy.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

So which of those web browsers came after Netscape (shhh don't tell anybody but Firefox was born out of Mozilla which was born out of Netscape). I'll give you a hint and say all. Maybe even go back further to Mosaic which unless I am mistaken is even to this day credited in the about box of IE?

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

UlsterFry wrote:Damn, this sux,  it's like when all those other car manufacturers copied Ford and put 4 wheels on their cars

Sorry..  I find this type of conversation a joke, the 'we did it first' fanboy bollox. Throughout history ideas have been copied and extended, what's the big deal? ..do you mean to say that everything you program is orginal???

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Let's not forget that most of Microsoft's "innovation" comes from when the checkbook opens and smaller companies are swallowed up. DOS, SQL Server, ASP, Hotmail, Expression and the list goes on,I won't even talk about their "innovation" with Windows or is that Mac OS?? Although it is said that Apple borrowed that one from Xerox... Wink

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Custa1200 wrote:
    So which of those web browsers came after Netscape (shhh don't tell anybody but Firefox was born out of Mozilla which was born out of Netscape). I'll give you a hint and say all. Maybe even go back further to Mosaic which unless I am mistaken is even to this day credited in the about box of IE?

Yawn... Your clearly reaching if the best shots you can take expired in 1997. Let's try and keep our clever observations about the browsing industry after 2005, ay?

• User profile image
    Ambition

UlsterFry wrote:

UnoriginalGuy wrote: 
    UlsterFry wrote: Damn, this sux,  it's like when all those other car manufacturers copied Ford and put 4 wheels on their cars

Sorry..  I find this type of conversation a joke, the 'we did it first' fanboy bollox. Throughout history ideas have been copied and extended, what's the big deal? ..do you mean to say that everything you program is orginal???

Pretty much - I was the first to use code... wasn't I? :O

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Custa1200 wrote:
    Let's not forget that most of Microsoft's "innovation" comes from when the checkbook opens and smaller companies are swallowed up.

hmmm   ever heard of Google?

oh and if memory serves me right, isnt Apples OS based on Linux?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Ambition wrote:

That's exactly my point. I didn't even like the "innovative" favorites menu style in the first place.

If it pleases you I will alter my post to portray the feelings that you people seem to have misinterpreted so easily.

1) We didn't misinterpret anything, you posted a screenshot of something and finished off your post.

2) Saying we misinterpreted something so easily is calling us either daft or just saying we're morons, I don't believe you've been around long enough really to state either of those with accuracy.

3) If you want to convey your thoughts, state them.

4) Also make a point...this goes back as far as 1.5.0.4

Screenshot

Also keep in mind most of us look at utilities that have search boxes all over them...so one more search box to us is just that...another search box.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

UlsterFry wrote:

Custa1200 wrote:Let's not forget that most of Microsoft's "innovation" comes from when the checkbook opens and smaller companies are swallowed up.

hmmm   ever heard of Google?

oh and if memory serves me right, isnt Apples OS based on Linux?

I could be wrong however I know someone will say it probably...I believe Darwin is a form of BSD...for people who really aren't too concerned you're right, for people who care it's different.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.