Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Usability Problem - Door Bell

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Slight usability problem. I wonder if anyone can come up with a creative solution.

The Problem
    We have a front door bell on the right hand side of the door instead of the optimal left side. The reason being that the alarm is too wide to attach on the little space on the left hand side. Like this:

This results in a lot of right handed people approaching the door not seeing and or using it. Right handed people naturally reach to the left with their right hands and look in the same direction, thus why they miss the alarm (even if they are not reaching for the door handle, the action / eyes do not change). It is also positioned too high for this action, at eye level instead of just below it.

The Solution?
    Whatever the solution is, it needs to be an "all weather" solution, this is the UK...

I did consider paining the alarm red, but firstly the paint would likely not stick to the molded plastic and also might make it look less like an alarm and thus defeating the original point.

A secondary solution was to put a big arrow in the bottom left of the window, but then we have a big arrow in the bottom left of the window.

Does anyone have any alternate solutions to this problem?

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Move office/house?

..na  what I'd do is get one of those nice wireless doorbells and attach it to the left side of the door.

£20 in maplin, but I have seen them cheaper.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=wireless%20doorbell&ModuleNo=24462&doy=17m7

• User profile image
    W3bbo

UlsterFry wrote:
    Move office/house?

..na  what I'd do is get one of those nice wireless doorbells and attach it to the left side of the door.

I was thinking of a pressure sensor attached to the window. Stick a notice up "Press window to activate doorbell".

Of course, any birds that fly into the window may set it off....

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

W3bbo wrote:

UlsterFry wrote:Move office/house?

I was thinking of a pressure sensor attached to the window. Stick a notice up "Press window to activate doorbell".

Not to mention when the window cleaner arrives, drring drinngg drinngg..  and 2 minutes later, waala..  broken bell unit!

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

UlsterFry wrote:

£20 in maplin, but I have seen them cheaper.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=wireless%20doorbell&ModuleNo=24462&doy=17m7

This doorbell is one of those nice wireless ones Smiley

Unfortunately it isn't the wires that stop it going to the left, there just psychically isn't enough room without it sticking out into the hole.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

err  you're losing me..

...why can't you just place it like this?

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

UlsterFry wrote:
    err  you're losing me..

Because its a plastic door. I can't go drilling into it without some kind of diamond drill bit, and would likely write off the door in the process.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Can the door be reversed so that the handle is on the other side? Often times you can unscrew the handles and reverse them, and then put the hinges on the other side.

Or, you could put the doorbell down by the threshold, and put a sign there that says "kick me".

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:

What kinda birds do you have in the UK?

UlsterFry wrote:
    Not to mention when the window cleaner arrives, drring drinngg drinngg..  and 2 minutes later, waala..  broken bell unit!

You guys have window cleaners? Unless by window cleaners you mean wife then that's understandable.

why not make a sign and laminate it saying doorbell and nail/screw it to the wall (righthand side) on the otherside of the door?

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

UlsterFry wrote:err  you're losing me..

Because its a plastic door. I can't go drilling into it without some kind of diamond drill bit, and would likely write off the door in the process.

Glue?

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Your Door is an old version, Upgrade!

Get a new auto-door with a duel core processor and preloaded Vista Beta with a biometric or RFID tag support service. The door must recognise persons automatically and open itself, no need to find the door bell !

Good aint it ? Wink

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    andokai

Why not have a free standing post in front of the door with the bell mounted on it? Although I don't understand why gluing it to the door won't work either.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

One more low-tech solution. Stick a printout on the door which has following text in bold:

1. See to your right hand side, towards the door frame, at eye level, you will find a white colored door bell.

2. If you dont find it GoTo 1

3. Press it

Smiley

Wink

Tongue Out

[6]

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:

Why not have a pressure mat under a doormat to activate the bell. I have something similar at the entrance to my room, although when younger sisters find out about such devices it can be quite annoying. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Put a sticker where they expect the bell to be, which has an arrow pointing to where the bell really is?

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I think you should just paint the door, seriously. It would at least be functional and interesting to view. Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Not bad Kinney.. i think mine would work as well [A]Wink

Edit: Upon further review, although my design would work in attracting attention to the bell, it may also attract some unwanted attention and give some people the wrong idea. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    An_Angel

I'm yet to see the real problem definition.  For you to know that people don't use the bell and that they knock on the door and you answer it tends to suggest the common issue of over engineered solutions?  If you can't hear people knocking on the door with their hands then how about providing a knocker rather than a bell... obviously the bell isn't really the ideal solution for the design of the property. 

Rather than trying to make the wrong tool fit the problem look to alternatives.  The sign where the button is expected to be is also a fairly simple and inexpensive way round the issue but if someone has a choice between reading the sign and just knocking on the door I know which one I would do... knock on the door.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.