Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Universities of HongKong will make Peking and Tsinghua University be Chinese second-class University

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

I am so glad read an article(Chinese) that blame Chinese education system which wrote by a famous American Chinese student who is graduated from Yale University.
    The author said Peking is Chinese first class university(一流大学),but Chinese students prefer HongKong university,even they were admitted into Peking university(the points that admitted into Peking University is 661(science) and 626(liberal arts),and HongKong University is only 657(science) and 625(liberal arts)).He also said the most important reason is HongKong universities provide huge scholarships (about 13 million HK yuan) that attract more top students from mainland China.And point out the disadvantage of HongKong universities now is students don't have a quality, even their professors are excellent.
    Here I want to know is only rich people be able to study in frist class universities in US, just like our teachers said?? or you guys need pay huge money for studying in college?

• User profile image
    cheong

I'll agree there's more scholarship given to students, and it'll be more convienent if the student want to migrate to other countries later... but does a Hong Kong University (I'm not refer to HKU specificly) students necessary have better learning environment than Tsinghua or Beijing University... I don't really think so.

I have bitter feeling to the education policy of Hong Kong. The government is shrinking the budget to education, yet those universities still want to attract students therefore continually increase the amount of scholarship given. And to attract famous scholars to teach the classes, they're giving big money to hire them.

In order to cope with the budget, they sacrifice the benefits of non-teaching staffs. I've heard that one of the universities have cut the salaries of IT guys say from HKD$4x,xxx to HKD$27,xxx... an above 30% cut... Sad

Who in the right mind would make such cut? I suppose the people left there would only be those who are incompetent, as a HKD$2x,xxx job isn't that difficult to find for experienced people in companies anyway.

P.S.: it's Hong Kong Dollar, not Hong Kong Yuan.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    leighsword

Tsinghua or Beijing University always can get top students from around China, study with top students together, you always can learn new skills from them, but the top students is only advantage of them, and  things will be changed, just the author said.
    Maybe your government want to make universities as a cash ATM just like Chinese government, whatever, shrink the budget of education is shortsighted, but I am so sad it may requires hundreds years(may next next generations) to prove their mistake:(.

• User profile image
    Mikyt

leighsword wrote:
    Tsinghua or Beijing University always can get top students from around China, study with top students together, you always can learn new skills from them, but the top students is only advantage of them, and  things will be changed, just the author said.
    Maybe your government want to make universities as a cash ATM just like Chinese government, whatever, shrink the budget of education is shortsighted, but I am so sad it may requires hundreds years(may next next generations) to prove their mistake.

Hi!  You should say Peking University, not Beijing University.

• User profile image
    eagle

Anyone who wants to learn will be given an opportunity.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.