Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

c9Guy Desktop Buddy

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I just got a genius idea. Anybody remember Bonzai Buddy? The annoying little chimp who used to pollute so many desktops.

What if there was a c9Guy (Buddy) application which placed a little c9 guy down in the bottom right hand of your screen (and walked left to right), which acted as an RSS feeder. (Yeah, so I'm on an RSS trip lately!).

Whenever a new thread in your favorite forum is created, c9Guy tells you. Whenever a new video goes up on c9, c9buddy tells you. Basically, you could subscribe to any XML feed you like, and c9buddy keeps you updated.

And of course Scoble's cherished laugh could be played at random intervals Wink

Introducing, c9guy!

• Popup window listing "watched" RSS feeds
      Add/Remove feeds here, too.
    • Optional Sound alert when c9 gets news

• User profile image
    dahat

It’s a shame that Zeo’s coding contest has died and not been replaced by anything... because that is a pretty nifty idea.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I'm not as good with vb.net as I would like to be. I couldn't do this yet - but soon I could, I'm sure. And if nobody does it now, your can bet your blackhat I will do it as soon as I'm capable Smiley Just not the caliber of .NET develop as I want to be.

• User profile image
    dahat

Who says you have to be good to create such at thing? Just look at Clippy!

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

If anyone wants to start then I would be happy to help them out Smiley Maybe get it on codeplex Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

See this would only be useful if you actually read other websites beside C9

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Quick, somebody dig up the source of NinerAlert! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    David Washington

I'd love to see a sidebar gadget!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    Quick, somebody dig up the source of NinerAlert!

I'll ask Steve411 for it next time I see him online.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

David Washington wrote:

I just noticed your avatar, is that one of the Outerspace Robots from the "Terrible Secret of Space"?

• User profile image
    Angus

It seems like a nice idea. I was going to do this a while ago, but I decided against it. I think a more minimal UI would be nice so as not to disturb a user during their work.

I would be interested to see if someone does something like this as it could be useful to both me and others.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Angus wrote:
    It seems like a nice idea. I was going to do this a while ago, but I decided against it. I think a more minimal UI would be nice so as not to disturb a user during their work.

I would be interested to see if someone does something like this as it could be useful to both me and others.

Angus Higgins

I dunno, the UI isn't too bad if you ask me. C9 just slides up at preset intervals (if new media exists), or whenever he finds something new that you subscribed to. Stays up for 5 seconds, then slides back down and out of site.

I personally love the idea Smiley But I'm a bit biased seeing that this is my thread Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

Somebody build this!
    C

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Charles wrote:
    Somebody build this!
    C

My vb.NET skills aren't up to par for a project like this, but my graphics skills are. And I'd be happy to supply any graphical support to anybody who's wanting to take this on as a project. Just remember to put a "thank you" in there for meh Wink

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Rory, Rory, where's Rory? Have you seen him?

Rory!? Make us a new screencast, and in the screencast, make my program! Smiley I would love a good VB.NET screencast on making an application like this Smiley

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

This wouldn't be a difficult problem at all. Personally I'd hook into IE7's RSS engine. The user could have a list of RSS feeds associated with IE7's engine, and could check the ones they want the C9 guy to announce.

Perhaps Charles could put up an RSS feed for the recently banned people, so we could have the sound effect "Ownt" when a new one happens.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to work on a project like this. I'd prefer C# over VB.net (although I can work equally as well in both). Perhaps someone at Microsoft could persuade the Codeplex people to put our project on high priority for creation?

• User profile image
    dahat

jsampsonPC wrote:
    My vb.NET skills aren't up to par for a project like this, but my graphics skills are. And I'd be happy to supply any graphical support to anybody who's wanting to take this on as a project.

If you want to make me some images and animations that could be used in a custom Microsoft Agent... then I could whip up a backend to control it and handle the RSSing.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

David Washington wrote:

I second that motion!Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.