Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Life On Other Planets

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    billh

• Would the laws of physics be the same?
    • Would the laws of math be the same?
    • Would the Bible be the same, but tailored to a different culture (with essentially the same message)?
    • Would the laws of chemistry still apply?
    • Would the life on another planet have something like DNA also?

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

billh wrote:

If the law aint same, the law are faulty and would need an upgrade from Einstein v2.0 Wink
    billh wrote:

Not necessary.
    billh wrote:

• Would the Bible be the same, but tailored to a different culture (with essentially the same message)?

Depends on the printer on the planet X !

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Red5

shreyasonline wrote:
    Depends on the printer on the planet X !

Funny you quote Planet X (my first hit with google)
    Maybe planets are controlled by angels. 

• User profile image
    Charles

I've written about this on my "blog"...

http://carmine.blogs.com/kernel/astronomy/index.html

http://carmine.blogs.com/kernel/astrobiology/index.html

Not a plug (I'm not a blogger, so I don't care about cross linking and search engine query return set placement...), just don't have the time to write it all again in response to your queries.

C

• User profile image
    Chadk

Charles wrote:
    I've written about this on my "blog"...

http://carmine.blogs.com/kernel/astronomy/index.html

http://carmine.blogs.com/kernel/astrobiology/index.html

Not a plug (I'm not a blogger, so I don't care about cross linking and search engine query return set placement...), just don't have the time to write it all again in response to your queries.

C

Wow, that is an interresting blog you got there.
    Why didnt i know of it before know? Perplexed

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

billh wrote:

Not necessarily, though most likely.
    Yes.
    Not necessarily.
    Yes, but environmentally different.
    Yes, and I'd wager in 4 components, like ours.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JohnAskew wrote:

billh wrote:

If it was another planet within the same universe, of course the laws of physics are going to be the same.

It's only when you deal with the concept of other universes, does physics get turned on its head, and then you have to deal with "It's life Jim, but not as we know it", for instance, "Crystal-based" life and other "life" processes

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I was imagining the physics of an unlikely planet too close to a black hole or 'dark matter' where things go askew with regularity. Pun intended.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Reminds me of this site, which promotes the book Imagining the tenth dimension.

On the site, on the left navigation panel, click Imagining the Ten Dimensions. It clearly explains (with animation and narration) the ten dimensions. One of the higher dimensions deals with alternative universes.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:

Reminds me of this site, which promotes the book Imagining the tenth dimension.

On the site, on the left navigation panel, click Imagining the Ten Dimensions. It clearly explains (with animation and narration) the ten dimensions. One of the higher dimensions deals with alternative universes.

But how do alternate universes fit in with determinism? Unless if quantum particles are immune from the Newtonian laws of physics?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Have you played the animations? I can't explain it as good as the author can.

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:
    Unless if quantum particles are immune from the Newtonian laws of physics?
    Aahh... but quantum particles aren't governed by Newtonian laws any way. Only matter that were around when powder wigs were popular are govern by Newtonian.

• User profile image
    Minh

Discovery had this show on recently: Alien Planet. They hypothecized about Earth sending a couple of probes to an another planet w/ life.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

billh wrote:

1. Depends on the planet, if it doesn't mimic earth, then no.
    2. I would imagine yes, as somehow some way people have to metric out quantities.
    3. Depends if the contents of the bible happened on that planet of their type
    4. Depends on #1 and if the chemicals were the same as ours, if not then no.
    5. Yes, everything that consist of "life" has to have DNA

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

billh wrote:

Highly unlikely (you have a better chance at euro millions)
    No, as the first response is no.
    Trick question, and not related

For any of them to be the same as earth (with exception to the bible, and maybe math) the laws of physics would have to be exactly the same.

A planet, with a moon, orbiting around a sun, from the same distance, covered with the same surface water, oxygen, sulfur etc... This is already very highly unlikely, and we are just stating.

Edit : miss read the last one (DNA is our representation) the chances for that same representation no, but something like it maybe.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

W3bbo wrote:

JohnAskew wrote: 
    billh wrote: 

If it was another planet within the same universe, of course the laws of physics are going to be the same.

How so?

Just because the planet is in the same universe means squat to physics. Even when in the same solar system.

• User profile image
    andokai

Sourcecode wrote:

How so?

Just because the planet is in the same universe means squat to physics. Even when in the same solar system.

Actually I think it does. The constants may be different on different planets but I'm pretty sure all the laws of physics will be the same.

• User profile image
    Tensor

andokai wrote:

Sourcecode wrote: 
    How so?

Actually I think it does. The constants may be different on different planets but I'm pretty sure all the laws of physics will be the same.

What Androkai said. g would be different, but c is c, just in different units. Physics aint just made up - its based on observing the universe. Maybe they would be further down the line of understanding it, maybe less. Who knows?

Maths is the same, but there is true beauty in there that hints t truth. Check out Eulers Identity. Some people actually view it of proof of gods existance, but when it gets that elegant, I see it as a good indication we are on the right track.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.