Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Build 5472 on Connect

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

Dling right now.  It's said that this build will run more smoothly with 512MB of RAM.

Let's see if that's right.

• User profile image
    eddwo

And I'm still only halfway through downloading the x64 version of 5456.

• User profile image
    tribalcactus

Woohoo - that would be a welcome change.  5464 actually has run pretty well on my desktop PC, but it's still pretty boggy on my P4 laptop.
    Currently DL'in at ~900KB/sec.  I'll have it installed on my desktop tomorrow.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

mVPstar wrote:

Dling right now.  It's said that this build will run more smoothly with 512MB of RAM.

Eeeek, I might have to break away from Linux if this has the improved Vista Basics theme....that was my key reason for moving over to Linux...was the UI of Vista...

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Not sure if I want to download this yet. Too bad that there isn't a server CTP.

• User profile image
    Refrax

mVPstar wrote:

other then the RAM, does it say anything about any other changes?

• User profile image
    mattcampbell

I'm going to stop downloading these beta's becasue by the time I download and Install a new one comes.Sad

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Refrax wrote:
    other then the RAM, does it say anything about any other changes?

Well "it"...I got this info from browsing a variety of forums.  There's supposedly the new Aero Basic UI (like Cybermagellan pointed out), and a couple of UI changes here and there.  Plus, some better icons.

mattcampbell wrote:
    I'm going to stop downloading these beta's becasue by the time I download and Install a new one comes.

I'm downloading every other build because I assume there'll be more for me to look at this way, making it more worthwhile spending time downloading and installing the new build.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Downloading x64 now. Going at 3MBps, about 20 mins left.

EDIT: Just shot up to 6MBps after shutting down Azureus Big Smile

EDIT2: I will be happy with this build if:
    1. X-Fi works
    2. SPDIF passthrough works (so I can watch DVDs using my external DD/DTS decoder)
    3. PocketPC (Axim) synchronisation works.

We'll see.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Curse you and your UNI broadband...of course if I were to download and burn here at work I'd have it in mere minutes.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Curse you and your UNI broadband...of course if I were to download and burn here at work I'd have it in mere minutes.

Yes it can be nice. Although thanks to their horrible, horrible service it usually isn't.

3 minutes left.

It's going to take longer to burn than it took to download. Smiley

EDIT: Announcement on the newsgroups say it's got a new nVidia driver. Fewer graphics glitches would be nice.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Bah, I'm working off of 150kb/sec.

Should have posted this thread after I was done DLing so I could have the personal satisfaction of beating you to download Sven. [6]

• User profile image
    PeterF

Sven Groot wrote:
    Downloading x64 now. Going at 3MBps, about 20 mins left.

EDIT: Just shot up to 6MBps after shutting down Azureus

EDIT2: I will be happy with this build if:
    1. X-Fi works
    2. SPDIF passthrough works (so I can watch DVDs using my external DD/DTS decoder)
    3. PocketPC (Axim) synchronisation works.

We'll see.

1 and 2 might work as Creative has beta Vista drivers for X-Fi available already for a few days

• User profile image
    keeron

Xbox 360 (as MCE Extender) works in this build [posted on the newsgroup]...

anyone having xbox360 and using the MCE extender feature? (or planning to, now that's "working")

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

PeterF wrote:
    1 and 2 might work as Creative has beta Vista drivers for X-Fi available already for a few days

Their older Vista drivers for the older Vista builds didn't exactly work fine either...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Well it installed in slightly less than 25 minutes (clean install), so far so good. But that was my first impression of 5456 as well and that turned out to be less than stellar for me.

So far performance is up, graphics glitches so far appear gone (or at least less). I'm installing the Creative X-Fi beta drivers now, so fingers crossed.

The cursors are different! :O

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Sven Groot wrote:
    So far performance is up, graphics glitches so far appear gone (or at least less). I'm installing the Creative X-Fi beta drivers now, so fingers crossed.

And they don't work. How surprising. Oh wait, no it isn't.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Sven Groot wrote:
    Well it installed in slightly less than 25 minutes (clean install), so far so good. But that was my first impression of 5456 as well and that turned out to be less than stellar for me.

The cursors are different!

Is the new basics theme in there?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.