Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Just the Kernel

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fdisk

    Has Microsoft ever thought about releasing just the operating system kernel by itself (sort of like the Linux kernel is released)? Or are things too intertwined so that they could not let other people build desktops on top of it? Maybe they already do this in some way, I'm not sure.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Isn't signularity similar to this idea?

  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    Vista Server will have a thing similar to this kind of idea, it comes sans GUI and other shiny bits.  Also, XP embedded has lots of ways to pare the system down.

  • User profile image
    fdisk

    DoomBringer wrote:
    Vista Server will have a thing similar to this kind of idea, it comes sans GUI and other shiny bits.  Also, XP embedded has lots of ways to pare the system down.
    How about a desktop version, though? They can keep it closed source if they want, as long as they provide the APIs.

    re: Singularity...I'm not sure what that was supposed to involve.

  • User profile image
    blowdart



    XP embedded can be stripped down quite far.

  • User profile image
    BryanF

    Interesting, but who do you think would be the market for such a thing? As other have mentioned, Microsoft is delivering something like this for specific markets with Windows Embedded and Longhorn Server Core, but I can't see a significant enough group of people having an interest in a general-purpose, kernel-only edition. Also, very few developers today call the kernel directly, but rather they call higher level API such as Win32; I can't imagine Microsoft wanting to encourage people to code against the NT syscalls directly, since that hinders their ability to evolve the system.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    DoomBringer wrote:
    Vista Server will have a thing similar to this kind of idea, it comes sans GUI and other shiny bits.  Also, XP embedded has lots of ways to pare the system down.


    Windows Server 2007 will be just like Windows Server 2003 (i.e. with the GUI) but I hear there will be an option for a "headless" version, administratable via Terminal Services or something.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    BryanF wrote:
    Interesting, but who do you think would be the market for such a thing? As other have mentioned, Microsoft is delivering something like this for specific markets with Windows Embedded and Longhorn Server Core, but I can't see a significant enough group of people having an interest in a general-purpose, kernel-only edition. Also, very few developers today call the kernel directly, but rather they call higher level API such as Win32; I can't imagine Microsoft wanting to encourage people to code against the NT syscalls directly, since that hinders their ability to evolve the system.


    More and more of the video-based slot-machines are using XP Embedded. Doubt we would get a C9 video on that though Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    TimP

    W3bbo wrote:
    Windows Server 2007 will be just like Windows Server 2003 (i.e. with the GUI) but I hear there will be an option for a "headless" version, administratable via Terminal Services or something.


    Why wait? I run my Windows Server 2003 box with just a power cord and an ethernet cable.

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    TimP wrote:
    Why wait? I run my Windows Server 2003 box with just a power cord and an ethernet cable.


    That's not the same thing.  What W3bbo's talking about is Windows Server loading only the OS and server stuff, no GUI.

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    Well if I remember correctly you can still run Task Manager, notepad, and a few other GUI utilities in Server core, just not the full fledged explorer and desktop services.


    Regards,
    Vincent

  • User profile image
    TimP

    mVPstar wrote:
    
    TimP wrote: Why wait? I run my Windows Server 2003 box with just a power cord and an ethernet cable.


    That's not the same thing.  What W3bbo's talking about is Windows Server loading only the OS and server stuff, no GUI.


    If you're running Terminal Services then you're "running" a GUI*.

    * = before we start nitpicking over whether or not a pure Terminal Services environment constitutes a GUI, let's just say you're using CPU cycles to provide a bitmapped graphical environment...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.