Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SLED 10 released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan

Maybe no one is interested, but SLED/SLES 10 has released today.
    -> Download

Personally I think it's over hyped, but still pretty nice distro...
    -> Screenshots

• User profile image
    dahat

SLED = SUSE Desktop

No... no snow or steep hills in this release from the sounds of it.

• User profile image
    andokai

SuSE (ah the old way of writing it) is a great distro IMO. I've been using it since about 5.0 and have tried every version since. Back then I used to get a laugh reading it's manuals with it very quirky English which was probably translated literally from German. I doubt I'd see that with this version though.

It's great to see a new version of YaST and a complete GNOME desktop. Right up to 9.x clicking on certain shortcuts would cause you to to be thrown into Konqueror.

If I was to switch to another OS this would definately be it but I don't fancy triple booting my PC at the minute.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Erisan,
          I got the SLED menu on Ubuntu, but it only installs the control panel...any ideas? I don't get the menu which I so desperately covet, is that a XGL/Compwiz thing only?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

A standard installation of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop including the desktop environment of your choice (GNOME or KDE) and a wealth of applications requires at least:

• Intel Pentium IV, 2.4 GHz or higher or any AMD64 or Intel EM64T processor
    • 1-2 physical CPUs
    • 512 MB physical RAM (or higher)
    • 2.5 GB available disk space
    • 1024 x 768 display resolution (or higher)

That is insane requirements that are far greater than Vista and higher than almost every game on the market today.

No thanks Novell! Expressionless

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    TimP

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

A standard installation of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop including the desktop environment of your choice (GNOME or KDE) and a wealth of applications requires at least:

• Intel Pentium IV, 2.4 GHz or higher or any AMD64 or Intel EM64T processor
    • 1-2 physical CPUs
    • 512 MB physical RAM (or higher)
    • 2.5 GB available disk space
    • 1024 x 768 display resolution (or higher)

Short of the hard drive space requirement, those "requirements" are bogus. You could easily run SLED 10 on any 1 GHz+ machine with 256 or 384MB RAM. With that 2.5GB you get an office suite, photo editors, games, development tools, and so on.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Erisan,
          I got the SLED menu on Ubuntu, but it only installs the control panel...any ideas? I don't get the menu which I so desperately covet, is that a XGL/Compwiz thing only?

No, it has nothing to do with Xgl.
    I'm not sure how you installed that 'slab'-menu, but I found these from Ubuntu forums:
    SLED 10 Main Menu on Ubuntu
    Schemas: Suse Gnome-menu for Edge

That new menu is only just a new applet (I didn't checked though) so you can use old and new menus at the same time if you wish.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Oh well, still not as good as could be but a definate improvement over the Beta version I had aquired a couple of months ago.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.