Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Grr Microsoft

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    I know it's MY fault...I've been using Ubuntu for the past month/two....well I today with the news of the new Vista basic theme got excited and decided I wanted to install Vista...YAY!!! WRONG!!!

    It's kinda hard to download Vista when you can't install and ActiveX control or whatever you're using for for a transport method...*sigh*

  • User profile image
    keeron

    Or perhaps the other "secret" download site that 1000s of beta testers are downloading from ... [psstt... want a link???]

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Thats why you should always have a Windows system available.  Either that or install wine tand IE 6.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Thanks for the options but it still doesn't solve the one problem that Microsoft created...how would anyone that can't run ActiveX "switch" to Windows Vista...if they can't get it?

    Well I grabbed my OEM XP disk and installed that THEN I'm downloading Vista (30 Mins left) but that doesn't solve the problem...

    As a side thought I wonder how many Linux people downloaded Beta 2?

  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    As a side thought I wonder how many Linux people downloaded Beta 2?


    A whole lot! On a second note, I dont understand why Microsoft has to be so difficult about downloads. Why couldnt they just offer easy to get ISO directly rather than use Active X, Ajax, etc. We want the downloads not the hassles.


    Regards,
    Vincent

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Because Microsoft does not deliver their OS over the internet.  Retail, Mail order or OEM.  The downloadable ISO's are only, supposedly, available to beta testers.

    Besides I very seriously doubt the real die hard linux heads have downloaded Beta 2, Im suspecting those that work in both environments have tested it.  Besides, Im seriously tired of Microsoft ripped off KDE, GNOME, MAC OS X etc.

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    Thanks for the options but it still doesn't solve the one problem that Microsoft created...how would anyone that can't run ActiveX "switch" to Windows Vista...if they can't get it?

    Well I grabbed my OEM XP disk and installed that THEN I'm downloading Vista (30 Mins left) but that doesn't solve the problem...

    As a side thought I wonder how many Linux people downloaded Beta 2?

  • User profile image
    alwaysmc2

    Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    
    Cybermagellan wrote: As a side thought I wonder how many Linux people downloaded Beta 2?


    A whole lot! On a second note, I dont understand why Microsoft has to be so difficult about downloads. Why couldnt they just offer easy to get ISO directly rather than use Active X, Ajax, etc. We want the downloads not the hassles.


    Regards,
    Vincent

    I'm guessing it is mostly because they want to monitor downloading.  Also, they probably want to make sure that someone don't just download 10 copies at once time for fun.

  • User profile image
    keeron

    Since these builds (not the Beta 2, but the ones Cyber usually downloads Smiley ) are only for Beta testers, its probably assumed these beta testers have "some" expereince in working with Windows (no point in having a mac guy have a go at the new Windows OS and report tons of bugs that most windows users are used to as "features" Smiley ) ... if that's the case, you should already have a Windows PC around... just use that to get the latest build.

    If ActiveX is causing a lot of problem, wait for the next public beta or RC (if you got the Beta 2 off MS site, you'll get the RC upgrade free) and use that dvd media. Leave the painful testing to other less fortunate people with IE/Windows PCs Smiley

  • User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

    rjdohnert wrote:
    Because Microsoft does not deliver their OS over the internet.  Retail, Mail order or OEM.  The downloadable ISO's are only, supposedly, available to beta testers.

    Besides I very seriously doubt the real die hard linux heads have downloaded Beta 2, Im suspecting those that work in both environments have tested it.  Besides, Im seriously tired of Microsoft ripped off KDE, GNOME, MAC OS X etc.


    If a beta tester got his Windows crashed and dont have time to fix it, and if he is having a Linux box, he can download from it, isnt it?  Wont this save time?

    Shreyas Zare

  • User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

    alwaysmc2 wrote:
    
    I'm guessing it is mostly because they want to monitor downloading.  Also, they probably want to make sure that someone don't just download 10 copies at once time for fun.


    What are IIS logs for? Will you download 10 copies even for fun?

    Shreyas Zare

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.