Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Who's at Comic Con in San Diego this week?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    An_Angel

I thought I would see which C9ers are real geeks and are off to Comic Con in San Diego this week?

And whether any of you are catching up over a few drinks a C9 geekout Wink

What do you all think... time for another C9 Geek Dinner?

(I was going to do it as a girly geek dinner but I've not found that many girly geeks out here so far... )

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Well, I wish I was...

Have fun, upload pictures Smiley

• User profile image
    An_Angel

Will do... it will be my first one so it should be a bit of an experience! Wink

• User profile image
    LaBomba

She can't find any girlies to hang out with, so she comes crawling back looking for the men...

heh typical... Tongue OutWink

• User profile image
    An_Angel

lol... I spend most of my day around guys, it's nice to get a fresh perspective on things from time to time with the girls.  The guys are good fun though so I have nothing against them, hence the extended invitation to them.

Smiley

• User profile image
    LaBomba

i can dig that.

good luck with your comic nerd finding quest... SmileyWink

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

One of the support people at work here is going, she's taking all week off.  I told her to buy the Halo graphic novel for me, I'm hoping she can get a copy.  That thing looks incredible.

• User profile image
    irascian

An_Angel wrote:
    Will do... it will be my first one so it should be a bit of an experience!

I hope you enjoy it. I went three years on the trot 2001-2003. Loved the first one - never seen anything like it. Didn't like the second one. Hated the third one. 2001 was the first really big "Hollywood" year where it switched its emphasis from comics to getting celebrities in, and also pre-announced those celebrities. Big mistake. Even with a pre-bought ticket for the whole week it was taking over two hours just to get in the front door on the Saturday (the "big name" day). The main room held about 5,000 people but over 40,000 attended. You can imagine what it was like!

Friends tell me that last year it got even worse so that even the Preview night, usually an oasis of calm and tranquility, was as packed as the Saturday normally is. None of them have bothered to consider it this year.

Tips for survival: TAKE DRINKS WITH YOU (and food if possible). The on-site facilities are crap, very expensive and typically have long queues, plus you never have time to stop and eat because so much is happening. It gets VERY VERY hot at Comic-Con so take liquid with you if at all possible. If with friends have a mobile phone with you so that friends can tip you off about changes via text (impossible to make normal calls inside the centre - too many people trying and it all goes into melt down). Be firm with the cheaters who are everywhere and will happily brazenly push past long queues, whether it's for Q&A panels or autographs and usually get away with it. You queue for 3 hours to get into the main room and then find you're person no 5001 for a room that is only allowed to hold 5000 so don't get in because of all the cheats who push past the queues claiming they just left for a loo break or whatever. And be prepared for Q&A sessions where all you hear is "Can I meet you afterwards?" "Will you record a message on my phone?" and "I've got cancer. Can I have my photo taken with you ?"

I wrote some pretty long blog entries with tons of photo's from my trips to Comic-Con. You can read the start of the first one ("Preview night that first year") here or if you're more interested in celebrities there's an idea of the sorts of folks who attended (IF you can be one of the lucky few who manage to get into the main room on the Saturday) here (NB: I was using a large telephoto lens so it is not as intimate as the photo's might suggest)>

• User profile image
    W3bbo

An_Angel wrote:
    The guys are good fun though so I have nothing against them, hence the extended invitation to them.

Otaku are "fun"?

Riiiight Smiley

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Very jealous, if only I could have worked this into a video idea some how Smiley

• User profile image
    An_Angel

Yeah now that would be fun... a Channel 9 Comic Con special.... You missed something there I think.  Whatever happended to the "Adventures of the C9 Guy..." in comic book format Wink

In response to Otaku yeah it's always fun to tease the manga fans Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.