Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Windows 2000 media file preview

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • travis

One thing Win2K has that XP doesn't (or at least I haven't found a way to enable it) is the ability to select an MP3, and then hit play in the media preview pane of the explorer Window.  I use this feature all of the time on my Win2k box, and I always find myself trying to use it on my XP machine.  Is there some specific reason why this functionality has been removed, or is it just disabled with a registry key?

• prog_dotnet

if you hit the folders icon in windows explorer, a task pane will appear at the left side of your screen.
    Under the music tasks section use play all.
    This option will eighter play all media files in the folder, or only the selected ones.

• Shawn

I've always wondered about this myself.

Funny how that button's probably been there all along but I've never noticed it..

• travis

prog_dotnet wrote:
    if you hit the folders icon in windows explorer, a task pane will appear at the left side of your screen.
    Under the music tasks section use play all.
    This option will eighter play all media files in the folder, or only the selected ones.

Right, I understand that, but I find the way that Windows 2000 had it was much more useful/efficient (at least for me).

• redvamp128

I think though not 100% sure but it was supposed to be part of the power toys. Shellplayer.exe is the file I think you may need. It was part of the power toys but then it was removed. I am not even sure now where you can obtain it anymore.

• travis

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.