Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

ActiveSync Replacement ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

Does anyone know of a third-party replacement for ActiveSync ?

Microsoft has chosen to remove the ability of Windows Mobile 5 devices and ActiveSync 4.x to sychronize files via any network: dial-up, wi-fi, ethernet, etc., only allowing sync via USB, Bluetooth or IR. I have a customer with a large number of handheld devices that are currently syncing files via dial-up. Unfortunately, he can no longer procure PocketPC or Windows Mobile 2.3 devices, only Windows Mobile 5 devices - which can no longer sync.

• User profile image
    sbc

IntelliSync may be an option. Not free though.

• User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

Thanks for your reply. I did contact Intellisync, but I couldn't reach anyone at the company who could answer questions about their FileSync product. I've left a couple of messages and am awaiting a response.

Not too concerned about it being free - just trying to work around the show stoppers that are WM5 and AS4.2...

• User profile image
    DaveJLowe

This is old old, but was there any resolution?

Finally have gotten a chance to port my applications from WinCE 3.0 to Windows Mobile 5.0, and have discovered that File Sync no longer works (at least the HH manufacturer, TDS, is recommending to all of its customers that they MANUALLY move files instead of relying on File Sync).

The situation is really quite bad at the moment, and I, too, am looking for an ActiveSync replacement.

• User profile image
    Steven J Ackerman

DaveJLowe said:

This is old old, but was there any resolution?

Finally have gotten a chance to port my applications from WinCE 3.0 to Windows Mobile 5.0, and have discovered that File Sync no longer works (at least the HH manufacturer, TDS, is recommending to all of its customers that they MANUALLY move files instead of relying on File Sync).

The situation is really quite bad at the moment, and I, too, am looking for an ActiveSync replacement.

Very late reply...  ended up writing my own ActiveSync replacement that was heavily biased toward the specific problem that I was trying to solve, and invoking that from my custom Windows Mobile application. Blogged about it after I did it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.