Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Oh noes! Winternals/Sysinternals assimilated by the borg!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Maybe this means we'll get a better task manager? Smiley

• User profile image
    j0217995

Why does everyone view this as the sky is falling.  I used the SysInternals programs and they worked very well.  I think this will help MS out, get someone who has a fresh look at the kernel and what is going on.  Someone who is outside of MS and has spent time looking in.

Now go get him on video Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

j0217995 wrote:
    Why does everyone view this as the sky is falling.  I used the SysInternals programs and they worked very well.  I think this will help MS out, get someone who has a fresh look at the kernel and what is going on.  Someone who is outside of MS and has spent time looking in.

Now go get him on video

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't the SysInternals/WinInternals ex-Softies anyways?

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

I heard that they didn't want to join MS because they feared of being assimilated. Guess that the situation is different Smiley

Rotem

• User profile image
    cokert

am i missing something or is all of their freeware (process explorer, tcpview, filemon, regmon) gone from their servers?

if this is the case (the freeware has officially been killed), this is a really, really crappy move on microsoft's part.  there's no mention of it in their faq...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

cokert wrote:
    am i missing something or is all of their freeware (process explorer, tcpview, filemon, regmon) gone from their servers?

if this is the case (the freeware has officially been killed), this is a really, really crappy move on microsoft's part.  there's no mention of it in their faq...

Fear not, it's still available on BitTorrent with 25 seeders.

• User profile image
    blowdart

cokert wrote:

You're missing something. A decent net connection. Just pulling down process explorer as a test and it's fine.

• User profile image
    cokert

acutally, i was poking around the winternals site and freaking out like webbo's picture depitcs.  didn't realize until a minute ago that the sysinternals site is completely separate and still completely active/intact.  though quite slow as of this writing.  (probably everyone spazzing and downloading all their utilities?  ...  this news made digg as well.)

• User profile image
    blowdart

cokert wrote:
    acutally, i was poking around the winternals site and freaking out like webbo's picture depitcs.  didn't realize until a minute ago that the sysinternals site is completely separate and still completely active/intact.  though quite slow as of this writing.  (probably everyone spazzing and downloading all their utilities?  ...  this news made digg as well.)

well read the slashdot write up, then picture all the little dotty idiots believing every word and running wget

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

As long as they ship me my t-shirt for trying out Recovery Manager I could care less who buys what.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

"We Are the borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"

- Borg Queen.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Of course the big question is ...

what will happen to the blue screen screen saver?

• User profile image
    Simo

blowdart wrote:

Shipped as the default for Vista Server Wink

That'll give the ops guys a wake up call on Monday morning.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Whats going to happn to Process Explorer and the rest?  Will they still be available form Sysinternals?  How long before they are polluted with WGA?

• User profile image
    cheong

cokert wrote:

I think these will be added to their collection of WGA downloads if they're not making their way to build-in into Vista or later version of Windows. Smiley

blowdart wrote:

I doubt they'll take it... but make sure you get it burned in your CD collections. Wink

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Good thing I kept most of the Sysinternals Freeware on a disk.

cheong wrote:

cokert wrote: am i missing something or is all of their freeware (process explorer, tcpview, filemon, regmon) gone from their servers?

I think these will be added to their collection of WGA downloads if they're not making their way to build-in into Vista or later version of Windows.

blowdart wrote: Of course the big question is ...

I doubt they'll take it... but make sure you get it burned in your CD collections.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:
    Maybe this means we'll get a better task manager?

Finally. It is time!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.