Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Advocates: Or Why I'm Done With Them

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    fdisk

    Someone please help me to understand this...why do certain Linux advocates have so much anger towards Microsoft? I used Linux quite regularly, yet I'm not angry towards anybody about it. I don't feel I have some personal mission to harass employees or end users for their product choices. I think education is important, however.

    Is it a social thing? Do the zealots feel if they bring down some part of Microsoft (on a large or big scale) they will change anything? Or do they think that they will score points with their peers?

    If it is anger towards the company's past business practices, I can understand that to a point...but if that is their issue, why not build great software and let it stand on its own? Or are they envious of Microsoft's success?

    I can't think of any other company around that polarizes people so much, and although I've read some blogs, books, posts, etc., I still don't get it. Yet I think the zealotry of some Linux advocates is actually doing more damage in the long run, at least in the eyes of the business world.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Uh, If I'm not mistaken, you're on record (several times) here on c9 telling everybody that if they express a dislike for Microsoft, they will be banned from c9.

    I would call that zealotry Smiley

  • User profile image
    darthsabbath

    Hi, all,First post here, so... hello. Smiley

    Anyway, to the topic at hand. I've been using Linux and/or some form of UNIX based system for about 9 years now, and use Ubuntu as my primary OS, so I've made the rounds amongst that crowd.

    I've found that the majority of the "anti-Microsoft" contingent consists of immature hacker wanna-bes who feel "l33t" for using Linux and just want to argue over who has the biggest e-you know what. Some do have some major issues with Microsoft's past practices as well... and just can't let go. I think these types could learn a big lesson from IBM... at one time they were the Evil Empire and today are one of the largest supporters of Free Software.

    The majority of Linux users could care less what Microsoft does; they either avoid non-Free (as in Freedom) software as a moral principle, or just want to help make Free Software better.

    Unfortunately, much like religion, those who speak the loudest bring on a bad reputation for the rest of us. I know I've been embarassed at zealotry by my fellow Linux users, and I've always tried to follow the principle of the best tool for the job, although my preference is always Free Software.That being said... zealotry doesn't end with Linux. I've dealt with my fair share of Windows Trolls chanting "Linsux," and who doesn't know an Apple fanboy or six? Smiley

    It's all silliness if you ask me.

  • User profile image
    Nightengale

    One idea is that Microsoft is primarily interested in increasing wealth by making better software-to my knowledge they are the best at that.

    Linux developers/users are primarily interested in making better software.

    Apple is primarily interested in increasing wealth by making better hardware and software and getting very good at what they do.


    Just so you know I am impartial at least inside my own brain, I think. I have about 7 Macs from a mac portable running os 6.8 to an ibook running 10.3.9, a NeXT turbo station running Nextstep 3.3, a HP Pavillion running Openstep 4.2, my desktop running Vista B2, and XP Home, and a box running Myah OS-a slackware based creation.


  • User profile image
    DarthVista

    darthsabbath wrote:
    Unfortunately, much like religion, those who speak the loudest bring on a bad reputation for the rest of us. I know I've been embarassed at zealotry by my fellow Linux users, and I've always tried to follow the principle of the best tool for the job, although my preference is always Free Software.That being said... zealotry doesn't end with Linux. I've dealt with my fair share of Windows Trolls chanting "Linsux," and who doesn't know an Apple fanboy or six? Smiley
    What, pretell, is a "Windows troll"? What you describe as "trolling" some of us see as loyalty to a typically superior product.

  • User profile image
    darthsabbath

    DarthVista wrote:
    What, pretell, is a "Windows troll"? What you describe as "trolling" some of us see as loyalty to a typically superior product.


    I'm not sure what you're getting at.  There's nothing wrong with supporting Microsoft or having opinions of your own.  But using childish names like Linsux or Open Sores is no different than Linux zealots chanting Winblows or Microsuck. 

    A troll also refuses to accept that there are alternatives to whatever their preference is, and mocks those that use said alternatives.  There's plenty of Linux, Microsoft, and OSX trolls out there.  On the other hand, there's plenty of people who happily use what they want to and don't get bent out of shape because someone has the gall to use a different OS.

    Loyalty is one thing.  Blind loyalty is another.

  • User profile image
    DarthVista

    darthsabbath wrote:
    I'm not sure what you're getting at.  There's nothing wrong with supporting Microsoft or having opinions of your own.  But using childish names like Linsux or Open Sores is no different than Linux zealots chanting Winblows or Microsuck. 

    A troll also refuses to accept that there are alternatives to whatever their preference is, and mocks those that use said alternatives.  There's plenty of Linux, Microsoft, and OSX trolls out there.  On the other hand, there's plenty of people who happily use what they want to and don't get bent out of shape because someone has the gall to use a different OS.
    I agree that sinking to such low levels as name calling is childish. But I have found in my experience that most open source advocates typically would rather steal their software than pay for it. Quite regrettable, as there are better ways of conducting business.

  • User profile image
    darthsabbath

    DarthVista wrote:
    I agree that sinking to such low levels as name calling is childish. But I have found in my experience that most open source advocates typically would rather steal their software than pay for it. Quite regrettable, as there are better ways of conducting business.


    I'm starting to think I'm feeding a troll here.  You may not have noticed, but most pirates use proprietary software, not Free software, whereas most Free software advocates use... well... Free software, which, in most cases is available freely and legally.  Now, I suppose if you violate the terms of the GPL, that may be considered stealing, but otherwise, how is your point valid?  I'm sure that there are some folks who do use open source and pirated software, but most use open source as a way to get away from Windows.

    Anyway, this is getting way off topic.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    DarthSabbath, and DarthVista...two StarWarsy names, registered on the same day...interesting...and in a thread on trolls Smiley

  • User profile image
    darthsabbath

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    DarthSabbath, and DarthVista...two StarWarsy names, registered on the same day...interesting...and in a thread on trolls

    Yeah, that struck me as a little weird too... I figured coincidence.  Maybe I've just got an evil twin out there. Or maybe I can be the evil twin. Smiley

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    A master and an apprentice perhaps.

    |o| <o> |o|

    >8O8<



Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.