Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Vista "Basic" UI update... whyyy??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ktr

    The new "Basic" UI is much much much better than
    before... however why is it still so different? I’m sure most of you have seen the Vista imitation themes for XP



    If it can (and has already been) done, why can’t MS do it?

  • User profile image
    alwaysmc2

    Why is the basic UI still so different from what?
    You think Microsoft should make Vista imitation skins for XP?

  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

    I dont think he likes that people have hacked transparency into XP and that the Vista Basic skin doesnt have it.

    Me, I like having all these new themes!

  • User profile image
    ktr


    alwaysmc2 wrote:
    
    Why is the basic UI still so different from what?
    You think Microsoft should make Vista imitation skins for XP?


    No, I’m just saying that the new basic UI is faaarrr from what it could be.. If the user decides to run without the new aero experience, shouldn't it be as nice as possible? Or at least look almost the same? I’m sure mobile users would appreciate that

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    Well, the whole point of the Basic visual style is to be as lightweight as possible, for machines that do not have the graphics horsepower to run the full blown Aero experience.

    So, no DWM, no transparencies, no DX9 requirements, etc... a laptop user (among the ones that usually are left with crappy graphics cards) should love and kiss and hug the Basic UI Smiley

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    PaoloM wrote:
    

    Well, the whole point of the Basic visual style is to be as lightweight as possible, for machines that do not have the graphics horsepower to run the full blown Aero experience.

    So, no DWM, no transparencies, no DX9 requirements, etc... a laptop user (among the ones that usually are left with crappy graphics cards) should love and kiss and hug the Basic UI Smiley



    There's a difference between not having the eye-candy and looking the same.

  • User profile image
    NeZz_DK

    it looks like the basic skin isn't all done, they kind of just pulled the menu all the way over the display picture and didn't even fix the items list so that it goes to the top too.

    There is a big diffrence between transparancy in XP and Vista, in XP is just an alpha setting, nothing is splached out in the background like in vista.
    if you are able to read text through a window it can be quit anoying, so I think thats the reason the dont have transparent windows in the basic skin, and because the full effect uses DirectX and if you dont have the graphics card for that stuff it will use alot of resources in software mode.

    but the menu problem they should be able to fix Smiley

  • User profile image
    Jung

    re; this whole transparency thing.

    it looks nice, but what exactly is the point in it?

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Jung wrote:
    

    re; this whole transparency thing.

    it looks nice, but what exactly is the point in it?



    It makes the UI feel less "heavy", this allows you, for example, to have thicker window borders without them seeming intrusive. This helps make it easier to click in the right place on high dpi screens or on less accurate input devices like tablets and UMPCs.

  • User profile image
    Pace

    Dude its called "Glass"

    And this is Windows...

    What use are Windows if they have no glass? Cool

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.