Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Coming Zune?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Rossj

Can anyone tell me what is the point of a viral marketing site (http://www.comingzune.com/) when everyone and their dog knows that Zune is Microsoft's 'iPod Killa'.

• keeron

Maybe someone or their dog registered this domain? I don't see a reference to Microsoft there

• rcardona

Look at the ToS and Privacy Policy, it's from Microsoft.

• W3bbo

Rossj wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what is the point of a viral marketing site (http://www.comingzune.com/) when everyone and their dog knows that Zune is Microsoft's 'iPod Killa'.

Looks very B3TA-ish.

But viral marketing is dead, long dead.

• Refrax

not to offend the person that drew the animation on www.comingzune.com but if it wasn't for the fact i wanted to see what was at the end i would have closed that page.

• figuerres

OMG what an UGLY strange offkilter junky mess....

vista web site has an actor, real gfx etc...

this was.... ?

at first I thought it was some kids junk then I saw posts saying it was a real MSFT site....

time to hire a new team for that add -- and do it fast!

• brian.​shapiro

figuerres,

yes and the vista site is corny and fake it reminds me of corporate brochures with a lot of photos of people smiling, that have nothing to do with the product.

i dont really like the comingzune website that much, but no , the vista website is NOT better, at least this isn't some fake corporate smiling people website.

they're obviously trying to appeal to the indie music crowd. indie rock has a lot of quirky lyrics (sometimes adorably quirky), and to people who watch crudely drawn quirky things on adultswim.

not people who listen to mariah carey

so the big guy and the little guy are sharing the bunny Smiley
    awww

(as it says "We're all friends here." and asks you if you want to share the flash video with friends)

do you think microsoft is trying to make ipod look like the slick mainstream corporate consumer device that has a closed model and doesn't seem freely interopable with different stores and music and devices?

and so is adopting an indie-music bent to appeal to those who think ipods are too consumeristic?

look up regina spektor, who sings the song on the comingzune website, on amazon.com

• DoomBringer

Wow, just, uh, wow.  I mean, I like the ideas behind zune, really, but man.  That site is just pretty silly.  I did laugh, but mostly because of how silly/bad it was.

Of course, being a True Nerd TM the first thing I thought was "Well that's no ordinary rabbit!"

• BigDataDev

The music is by Regina Spektor

• ktr

..sorry but that site is retarted. what does it even communicate? .. nothing

• Charles

I just hope they didn't spend too much money on it... I think we should fine marketing teams that produce crap like this and use the proceeds from the fines to fund rewards for employees that do truly meaningful things for the company and our customers.

C

• BryanF

Er... damn.

I find the concept of commercial teasers in general to be irriating. (If you're not going to say anything, then don't say anything! Don't play coy, because it isn't cute.) But this is over the top. It doesn't even remotely hint at what Zune is supposed to be. And I'm certainly not going to hand over my email address to the people made that. Feeds are a better option anyways, since I can opt out by simply deleting it.

*sigh* Perplexed

Here are some employee blogs I found; hopefully they'll talk to us like adults:

Cesar Menendex: http://zuneinsider.com/
    Richard Winn: http://www.madisonandpine.com/

• DoomBringer

Charles wrote:
    I just hope they didn't spend too much money on it... I think we should fine marketing teams that produce crap like this and use the proceeds from the fines to fund rewards for employees that do truly meaningful things for the company and our customers.

C

Well, it is getting people to talk about it.  Sometimes there is no bad press.  Nintendo got so much discussion from a stupid name for their console...

• BryanF

BTW, can anyone point to the origin of the word "zune"? Microsoft player already dominates search results and the only other reference I've found is to an Amiga GUI toolkit.

• LaBomba

heh.

Judging by the quality...they didn't spend too much money on it. Wink

• Rowan

LaBomba wrote:

heh.

Judging by the quality...they didn't spend too much money on it.

It takes a pro to make something look bad.

• LaBomba

Rowan wrote:

LaBomba wrote: 

heh.

Judging by the quality...they didn't spend too much money on it.

It takes a pro to make something look bad.

no it doesn't, i can do it without any effort.Tongue Out

• Ang3lFir3

MaddisonAndPine wrote:
    one of my mates ... is mad for the music, but has a better understanding of the device and the service.

Let me guess? a player that only plays songs downloaded from the Zune service? and maybe only work as long as i pay my monthly bill.....

lets hope not... at this point I don't own an mp3 player (my computers and car stereo do all the mp3 playing) .... so think of this... I'm your hardest sell..... and that animation isn't selling me.....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.