Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Names for computers/devices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

What kind of original names do you guys give to computers and devices? I mean the name you assign to a computer in a network. When I was in college, the servers were given names of scientists, like Einstein and Newton.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

My computers at work right now have unimaginative serial-number names, unfortunately. At home I have Infidel and Apostate, while at my old job we had a somewhat celestial theme - W2K-Supernova, W2k-Stardust (that was mine) and W2k-Kpax (on the claims that he was an alien, and thus related to the stars, or whatever. I never approved. Smiley).

• User profile image
    tomtech999

I generally assign a location and type in the network name

location_type

example

office_pc

or

bedroom_mediacenter

our school uses a purely number based system , e.g. PC159, and have a big map of where all the PC's are.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

My computer name is HH8R9EOZE0A1C3H ... now, the next Noble award winning scientist will be called HH8R9EOZE0A1C3H ! Tongue Out Wink

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    blowdart

in the house i have

puck, oberon, titania and theseus.

and (lexmark, gateway and xbox, heh)

• User profile image
    Angus

Well, at home I usually use the name of the room the computer is in + "COMPUTER" or a slight variation on that.

When I worked in the local university they had a naming system which was like this:

DEPARTMENT + "PC" + NUMBER

e.g.

GEOPC123

Would be:

Computer 123 in the Geography department.

At my school they have a slightly more elaborate system which is like this:

ROOM + "-" + MAKE + "-PC" + NUMBER

e.g.

M4-DELL-PC12

Would be:

Computer 12 sold as a Dell, in the room M4.

I prefer the way the university does it.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    armbrat

Whales. 

Our architect is a marine biologist by trade, so he names them after whales.

I prefer connecting by IP address since I can never remember the correct spelling of Delphinidae.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I really only have a unique name for my home network, which is "BigBekly"...I'm using Belkin technology with a rather quick internet connection - hence the name, BigBelky:)

• User profile image
    wikka

Matrix, Exorcist, Omen, Poltergiest, Stand, Hostel, Saw.

My router/firewall is of course "Seraph" Smiley

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    WabbitVann

I use names of animals like: rabbit, armadillo, squirrel, aardvark...

• User profile image
    LaBomba

I use the names of space missions.Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

mine its called "eclipse", that my nick/id or something, anyway my university use this system: faculty + lab nr. + pc number.

yman wrote:
    I use Microsoft codenames for mine Smiley
    odd. Names from Star Trek Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TimP

I use the processor name, machine model, or primary application as the name for the machine.

My desktop's name is xeon for the processor, server is hercules since I primarily use it to run the Hercules mainframe emulator, laptop is called x60 since it's a ThinkPad X60, AlphaStation is called alpha, RS/6000 is called aix (slightly breaking the rules).

• User profile image
    jamie

\\server
    \\c9
    \\tory
    \\laptop

shorter the better

edit - Norm my friend where the paintings got printed used to call his network shares curly,larry, moe, harpo etc... it was the 3 stooges trying to no what machine was what.

so he swithed it to p3   p4  p42  and it was just as confusing

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Cartoon or comic book characters for the office.

For home I just make up whatever, things that resonate well with me are video game characters, Norse mythology, or whatever.

So I have Rexorg (made up evil sounding name), Mjolnir (the hammer of Thor I believe), Deimos and Phobos (the moons of Mars, a reference to Doom video games), Denton, etc etc.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

At work.. we name them after sports cars... (yeah original i know)...

At home... I name it usually with the owners nic and its purpose...

Ang3lFir3_Server
    Ang3lFir3_HTPC
    Ang3lFir3_Main
    Ang3lFir3_Vista (that one's special or summin)

Same goes for the gf's machines.....

• User profile image
    Refrax

my webserver is named SPIDERMAN and one other server is is HAL-9000

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.