Coffeehouse Thread

44 posts

Names for computers/devices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • nlinus

As I am completely without a creative bone in my body I've named all of my machines after characters from Dilbert. 

My office work machine - Dilbert
    Laptop - Wally
    Pocket PC- Dogbert
    CellPhone - Ted
    Wife's computer - Alice
    Portable Media Center - Asok
    iPod - ratbert

• FluffyDevil​Bunny

We name dev servers after Battlestar Galactica characters (SIX, Starbuck, Sharon) etc and test servers after things that go down (Titanic, Hindenburg, Monica)

FDB

• sskokku

At my home network :

Router : CIVILIZATION
    Computer names:
    BABYLON
    ATLANTIS
    HARAPPA
    QUINN

Sashidhar Kokku
    (http://dynacx.com)

• die-Sel

1) Vista RTM is named Dublin
    2) Windows Xp Development Box is named Longford
    3) Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server 2005 Developer is named Sligo
    4) Linux (NAS) is named Cork

after that last 4 places i have been to in the south of Ireland

• rjdohnert

My main PC's name is Lucifer.  I also have Lilith, Mordecai, Jezebel, Carrie, Vlad, Thorne and a few others.  My moms Mac is called Jesus, my Dads laptop I call f%$cking and his iMac is called Christ

• ScanIAm

FluffyDevilBunny wrote:
    We name dev servers after Battlestar Galactica characters (SIX, Starbuck, Sharon) etc and test servers after things that go down (Titanic, Hindenburg, Monica)

FDB

This would be another case where I wish we had tag lines in our posts Smiley

• SteveC-A9

I think it doesn't matter if the set of computers is really small short names are better. I think it matters if the total number of hosts is "medium". I think things shift back towards meaningless if the number is large (large places usually mix geography and/or purpose and/or a primary user name and/or a number).

My setups are "medium". Once I used constellations, stars, and star clusters for servers (Gemini, Orion, Virgo, Sol, Cygnus, etc). I currently use molecules for internal host names. With molecules, like celestial bodies, there are many to choose from and they can be grouped accordingly (noble gasses for one kind of server, etc). But my company is Atomic9.NET, so naming things after atoms and molecules kind of makes sense. Wink

It used to make sense, for me, to *not* give a server a name after it's function, because if you know what you are doing generally a server can serve more than one purpose (eg underutilized file server can also do antivirus scans on other computers). 

With the current easy availabilty of VMs, it is makes sense once again to single-purpose a "computer" per role.

• KosherCoder

My domain is UFP, and each workstation is named for a planet in or near the Federation: Andor, Bajor, Risa, Tellar, MemoryAlpha (my server), Denobula, Vulcan, and Betazed.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.