Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

A Welcome From Myself To The C9 Community

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Scott Sutton

Greetings C9,

I thought it would be apprpriate of me and only right to introduce myself as I've simply "appeared" somewhat. If you hadn't already gussed, my name's Scott and I'm a Security Evangelist for Microsoft Windows. I'm currently self-teaching myself Visual C++ .NET Programming using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 using the .NET Framework 1.1 and soon to be 2.0 although I have a good way to go before 2.0 sees the light of the compiler.

I realise that I may have entered the community at a turbulent time seeing as there are issues with Trolls and suchlike and if anything, I steer clear of such incidents myself and don't intend to offend anyone with anything I post. I'm not one for being a Microsoft "Fanboy" as such; I though I would make this clear before anything else. Either way, there are interesting projects being undertaken in the Community just now and I'm especially impressed with the C9 Guy Desktop Alert application; I like to extend an offer of help wherever I can. Smiley

Finally, if this thread breaks anything within the FAQ, please feel free to remove the thread at will but all in all I thought it only right to introduce myself and make myself known in the Community, I'll help whenever and wherever I can. And as I final point, I'm looking to Microsoft as a future employer - Aren't we all.

Regards,

Scott Sutton

• User profile image
    Jaz

so err you work for Microsoft or do you just tell people what applications to get to protect against viruses and such?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Cool. Welcome to the Madhouse Coffeehouse. Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

Welcome!! You'll crack up from C9Park.

• User profile image
    Scott Sutton

Jaz wrote:
    so err you work for Microsoft or do you just tell people what applications to get to protect against viruses and such?

Greeting Jaz,

I don't work for Microsoft, in fact that's the first time I've been asked that question but I do intent to apply to work for Microsoft in the near future. I wouldn't say that I'm the type to advise User A to download Program A B, and C, that isn't Security, that's a section of Security. I'm more the type that takes it maturely and takes it far more seriously than many people I talk to understand - Perhaps I should rephrase that to would like to care".
    Security is a process, not a product as Symantec for example market their Norton products as but all in all I take the subject very seriously. Unforutnately there's only so much I can do to educate people on protecting themselves from the mirad of visible and non-visible threats on the Internet and suchlike. And no; it's not "Get A Mac".

If anyone has questions about Security or any related topic, feel free to send me an E-Mail and I'll be happy to reply to your question. Either way, no, I don't work for Microsoft, but yes, I would like to - It's a personal goal. Although my Uncle's fiance worked for Apple. Expressionless

AndyC: I have an unhealthy addiction to coffee, Starbucks and suchlike, every time I read the title of this forum I have a caffeine craving.

Regards,

Scott Sutton

• User profile image
    Charles

Welcome!
    C

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Keep on posting...

LB

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Welcome to C9, the only community that feels like family.

• User profile image
    out180

Scott Sutton wrote:

Jaz wrote: ...

AndyC: I have an unhealthy addiction to coffee, Starbucks and suchlike, every time I read the title of this forum I have a caffeine craving.

Regards,

Scott Sutton

I'm with you on this one.  Honestly, they need a size bigger than Venti.  Perhaps IV Bag?

Regardless, welcome.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Scott Sutton

Greeting YMan,

Yes indeed I'm another Britisher. Whatever that means. I'm actually from Scotland, does that make a difference? Personally I thought not but I'd call myself Scottish before British. Either way, it's good to see many a  UK Coding enthusiast on the forum, it seems we're lost in the great seas of the USA. Well, there is an ocean between us. Apparently. Unfortunately us bedroom developers don't like the sun in our eyes nor water on our feet so I can't verify that.
    Perhaps Shafiq can walk to Microsoft's HQ in Reading and bargain with a number of developers who'd willingly part with a copy of Windows Vista upon release in return for eternal youth and a biscuit. Although I can't guarantee that. But I daresay it's worth a try.

Regards,

Scott Sutton

• User profile image
    Angus

Welcome to Channel 9. What part of Scotland are you from?

Have a nice stay.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Scott Sutton

Angus wrote:
    Welcome to Channel 9. What part of Scotland are you from?

Greeting Angus,

I'm based in Inverness at the moment but may be moving to Edinbugh in the coming months, there's very little IT based employment in and around Inverness as it stands apart from Capgemini, who I actually worked for providing 2nd Line IT Support for Clients and suchlike although seeing as I'm programming once again, I mayaswell concentrate on it, there's a shortage of programmers in this World and they're not going to fill their own positions.
    Excuse me while I place my Visual Studio .NET Posters on my wall. Currently using the MSVC++ .NET 2003 IDE and as has been rightly mentioned on the forum, Service Pack 1 is noticably absent, I gather I'll await next month for its release.

Off Topic: Has anyone encountered errors attempting to install Windows Live Toolbar Final? I execute the application for installation and it fails to initialize. I thought the installation package may have been corrupt and downloaded it once again, but unfortunately the errors occurs still.

Regards,

Scott Sutton

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

This is my official "Welcome" message Smiley

• User profile image
    Sabot

Hi Scott,

Welcome to C9!

As for being Scottish, well it doesn't really make much of a difference around here. The home nations rivalry begins and ends with sport on C9, which pretty much reflects modern Britain, no one really gives a monkeys which part you're from as long as your friendly and get the beers in.

Cheers m8,

Dave

• User profile image
    Scott Sutton

Greetings All,

I've sat thinking today about simply why the Windows market is saturated with useless, dangerous and rather pathetic Windows "Optimization" tools and suchlike. For instance Registry "Cleaners". To put it bluntly, there is no need to "Clean" the Registry. If the programmer has concentrated on the Uninstallation procedure thoroughly enough then there shouldn't be a need to search the Registry for null entries and suchlike, infact you shouldn't have a need to edit the Registry unless you know exactly what the effects could be and the mishaps that may occur. And create a System Restore point before you edit the value/key.

My advice is to leave the Registry alone and don't use a Registry Cleaner. Despite what many people think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of, having unused Registry entries doesn't cause issues.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a the Registry "Cleaner" erroneously removing an entry you need is far geater than any potential benefit it may have.

There may occasionally be a specific situation where you may need to remove specific Registry entries, but overall Registry "Cleaning" should be avoided. It's scandelous that many products claim to increase the stablility of Windows and ask you to pay monies for simple Registry Edits.
    For example, moving the Kernel into RAM, or perhaps ensuring Dynamic Link Libraries are appropriately unloaded from RAM when they are not being used. I won't mention the mythic "SuperPrefetch" key in Windows XP. It's controversial. Apparently. These are simple "Edits" you can script and apply yourself freely. The "Industry" of "Optimization" programs is scandelous and I think truths should be told about the harm such software can cause.

Does anyone have thoughts on this subject or agree with me that the above is a fad?

Sabot: I don't drink. Smiley

Regards,

Scott Sutton

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.