Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Attn:MS hotmail-friend of friend died-need emails of deceased

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

..sorry for another thread with death in thread topic - but it's true.

our friends brought machine and asked me to retrieve all his old emails - but its a hotmail account... so - do we just phone ms?
    need password...

any advice what to do?

thanks in advance

jamie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Look through his browser settings/profiles for stored passwords, see if you can get in that way.

The key is getting the account password, once you're in you can save all the messages to disk with the desktop Windows Live Mail client.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

There's tools out there that can retrieve passwords stored in the browser, google around and I'm sure you'll find some.

• User profile image
    jamie

i havent actually got the machine yet to troubleshoot - but thats the issue

just wondering if there was a number to call or something - before bringing it in - setting it up..
    (figured if i dont no pass - it wouldnt work)

*its his mom that wants to read it

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Sorry to hear your friend died Jamie.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

This doesnt answere your question. But I wonder if he would have wanted people to read his email. 

edit: i dont meen to take a moral stance one way or the other. the situation is to far removed from me. i thought the question was more 'retorical' and didnt reolize you were so close to the situation. I am sorry Rob's friend passed away.

• User profile image
    jamie

well im sorry for my friend (rob) whos sitting right here with me now.

i only met (jason) once..

edit: they have apparently tried logging in but dont know password

• User profile image
    out180

Try the "Forgot Password" thingy at www.passport.net

I haven't actually run it but it might be something to try.  It's under Account Services on the above page.

EDIT: Of course once you run it the current password will be lost in favor of the newly generated one.  If you can't get your hands on the new one then you might be worse off.  I really don't know how that lost password system works however.

• User profile image
    jamie

ya i looked around - but was afraid i might lose stuff if i tried "hacking" it..  like - i wouldnt no the password hint etc..

anyway - for now - im telling them they should just call ms canada and tell them the situation - unless someone reading this at ms - knows another/or better way

thanks all  (as usual ) Smiley

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Well, we all know jamie, but I'm sure MSFT can't just always follow through on these things, I mean, how many social engineering attempts a day do they get?  I'll bet once they have a way to confirm the ID of everyone in question, they might go ahead.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

DoomBringer wrote:
    I mean, how many social engineering attempts a day do they get?

As if it really matters, if you've got private data you're not going to store it on a free/public email system. Remember the time they lost all emails for a few hundred thousand users?

• User profile image
    jamie

re: doom

ya your right - if they answer me - everyone will post on c9 for answers

just thought id try on off chance

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

W3bbo wrote:

DoomBringer wrote: I mean, how many social engineering attempts a day do they get?

As if it really matters, if you've got private data you're not going to store it on a free/public email system. Remember the time they lost all emails for a few hundred thousand users?

Sure, but I'd rather that they not be willing to hand out credentials due to a compelling story.  Heck, IIRC, half of Mitnick's attacks were social engineering, just asking someone for creds or access.
    You can get just about anywhere or into anything if you act like you know what you're doing and look/sound official.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

DoomBringer wrote:

Well, we all know jamie, but I'm sure MSFT can't just always follow through on these things, I mean, how many social engineering attempts a day do they get?  I'll bet once they have a way to confirm the ID of everyone in question, they might go ahead.

Sorry about your friends friend Jamie....

If they are anything like AOL there is a form required by the Federal Trade Commission (Forget if Microsoft Canada or whatever has diffferent rules) but it's a Power of Attorney/Certificate of Death form...

Basically if you have a fax machine they fax you this form (to stop anyone from making "fake death certificates from a mail in address"), you have to fill it out with a copy of the Death Certificate (or Power of Attorney) and you fax it back, and they change the billing contact...

Now that is how you do it with AOL....maybe you can call MSN Canada or MSN Tech support and ask if they do the same thing for Hotmail?

It's an option...sorry if I make it longer than it should be for Hotmail.

• User profile image
    jamie

see thats what i thought..  proof/ lawyers, faxes... verify ...and all that

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Cybermagellan wrote:

DoomBringer wrote: 

Sorry about your friends friend Jamie....

If they are anything like AOL there is a form required by the Federal Trade Commission (Forget if Microsoft Canada or whatever has diffferent rules) but it's a Power of Attorney/Certificate of Death form...

Basically if you have a fax machine they fax you this form (to stop anyone from making "fake death certificates from a mail in address"), you have to fill it out with a copy of the Death Certificate (or Power of Attorney) and you fax it back, and they change the billing contact...

Now that is how you do it with AOL....maybe you can call MSN Canada or MSN Tech support and ask if they do the same thing for Hotmail?

It's an option...sorry if I make it longer than it should be for Hotmail.
    I'd have to assume what Cybermagellan said is correct, I used to work for an ISP and we were just about the same way. I also remember about a year back Yahoo! (I think it was Yahoo! at least) had a very public case of a family wanting to get access to their deceased child's email but ti violated Yahoo!'s TOS, in the end Yahoo! caved because of the bad PR, but seriously check the TOS for Hotmail and see what it says, when you get a rep on the phone you'll do alot better if you can nail 'em with quotes out of the TOS/AUP/EULA that backup your case for getting access. At least that works the licensing activation people in India.

• User profile image
    eagle
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.