Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Research: Accelerator

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I don't know if this has already been discussed here, but I just read about Accelerator, and I think it's pretty cool. I found it by browsing the C9 Wiki.
    Basically, it's high-level data-parallel programming model, published as a .NET Library, that <quote>translates data-parallel operations on-the-fly to optimized GPU pixel shader code and API calls</quote>.
    Read the technical report here.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

Sweet. I messed around w/ GPU accelerated graphics processing for video processing a bit about 1.5 years ago and thought that a project like this was needed to try and consolidate the GPGPU efforts.

• User profile image
    AndyC

It's all well and good, but I can't help but feel they're a bit sneaky in not counting the time taken to read data back from the graphics card in their benchmarks. The video bus isn't optimised for reading and so that's got to be something of a bottleneck with any technique like this.

• User profile image
    siddpuri

Maybe it was a bit sneaky, but really only a bit.  Smiley

Two things to consider:

1) PCIe is much better than AGP and transferring data back.  In effect, the asymmetry has been erased.

2) On the smaller benchmarks, the communication time is kind of irrelevant.  If convolving with a 5x5 filter is your entire computation, then it’s probably not worth parallelizing anyway.  For the larger benchmarks, take StereoMatch as an example.  The communication time adds < 25%.  That’s pretty small compared to a 4x speedup over  C++.

Sidd

• User profile image
    Charles

Interestingly enough, we will air an interview with Sidd and David soon where they dig into Accelerator and even demo it. Smiley

Stay tuned,
    C

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles wrote:
    Interestingly enough, we will air an interview with Sidd and David soon where they dig into Accelerator and even demo it.

Stay tuned,
    C
    Great news. I'm already curious.

• User profile image
    Charles

This video has just been posted!
    C

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Like I said, cool technology. The video clearly demonstrates how it all works. Great video, Charles. PS: which text editor was used during the demo? It's obviously not Visual Studio.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

I converted the samples to .NET 2.0 and i get the following error:

LoaderLock was detected wrote:
    DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D\1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll' is attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code inside a DllMain or image initialization function since doing so can cause the application to hang.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.