Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Should you pay for Office 2007 Beta's?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

"Microsoft is to start charging $1.50 for beta versions of Office 2007. From 2 August anyone wanting to download the software will have to pay the small fee."

Source here

To my mind this is a bit cheeky even if the fee is nominal.

A Beta is all about helping Microsoft find and fix bugs for their next release and trial the software and provide feedback.

So as I'm an unpaid software tester, should I actually be invoicing Microsoft for my time?

If this is going to be a continuing principle you aren't going to see me downloading any more Beta's, I'll wait till the full version. I believe this is a mistake because beelieve me in previous versions Microsoft needed all the help it could get, I remember 97!

Yours, a bit annoyed, Dave

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Seems like a way to bring in money pre-release.

Seriously MS, are you guys really this greedy?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I honestly don't like it, however don't think it's horrible either...

Reasoning: Look you're getting FULLY functioning software. You know how many people who didn't have office now do because of this? You know how many college kids, and employees of companies are getting results because of the beta? If you were to probably measure the amount of money that was transacted because of the beta providing someone the resources to do something I'm willing to bet it far outweighs the $1.50 per download.

Hey could be worse, Apple charges people to beta the OS. As if having to buy a new version every year wasn't bad enough.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Cybermagellan wrote:

Reasoning: Look you're getting FULLY functioning software. You know how many people who didn't have office now do because of this? You know how many college kids, and employees of companies are getting results because of the beta? If you were to probably measure the amount of money that was transacted because of the beta providing someone the resources to do something I'm willing to bet it far outweighs the $1.50 per download.

True, but it's not going to work forever only a few more months if that. So in effect you've just rented the copy paying with your time and $1.50.

Microsoft will make a truck load of cash from the new release, this is actually a golden opportunity to say a bit of a thank you to the community, it's not much to ask after all, this fee seems abit like a kick in the nuts. Only genuine testers please.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Sabot wrote:
    True, but it's not going to work forever only a few more months if that. So in effect you've just rented the copy paying with your time and $1.50.

Microsoft will make a truck load of cash from the new release, this is actually a golden opportunity to say a bit of a thank you to the community, it's not much to ask after all, this fee seems abit like a kick in the nuts. Only genuine testers please.

Are there Time Bombs associated with the O2007 releases? What if it is like Vista Beta 2 (I think) was? A whole year. Would you rent a movie for two months for $1.50? Would you buy a movie for 6 months for $1.50? PLUS maybe this is Microsofts way of testing Profit Per License vs. Profit Per Volume?

If Microsoft can get as many people to pay the $1.50 during the download "test" that downloaded it for free, you think they'll make some money?

Don't kid yourself Sabot, Microsoft while nice to us Niners is still a company. 

• User profile image
    tribalcactus

The article you posted a link to seems to have left out several major items.  It would only apply to "new" users that sign up to download the Tech Refresh.  Existing beta users would not have to pay anything.
    Check http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+charge+for+Office+beta/2100-1012_3-6099987.html?tag=nefd.top for a better article about this.

• User profile image
    SimonJ

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Are there Time Bombs associated with the O2007 releases?

Office 2007 Beta 2 times out at the end of January 2007. I believe it then goes into "No Edit/No Save" mode.

SimonJ

• User profile image
    littleguru

Mmmm. I don't understand this move. Strange... I mean it is a beta, with time bomb, bugs, slow opening, etc. And why 1.50 $? How did they set it at this price? What was the reason?

• User profile image
    borosen

littleguru wrote:

Mmmm. I don't understand this move. Strange... I mean it is a beta, with time bomb, bugs, slow opening, etc. And why 1.50 $? How did they set it at this price? What was the reason?

It will act as a kind of filter, lowering the load of the servers, yet affordable to everyone.

Felt compelled to add this:

This is not really anything new.
    Microsoft usually charge for their software. The only difference is that this time is is officially called a beta. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Manni

Personally, I don't see any problems with the cost, after all it is $1.50.

At this stage, most of the new 'beta' testers are probably 1st adpoters for their relative enterprises trying to test the upcoming release for compatibility, migration, and training issues.

If ther is any benefit, or it they see an upgrade in a 12-month timeframe, then the amount is truly negligible.

• User profile image
    Shark_M
  • User profile image
    AndyC

I suspect they're discovered that the large number of betas downloaded hasn't been reflected in either the volume or quality of beta reports. A small charge won't dissuade those genuinely interested but will stop the "must have" crowd from just downloading it for the sake of it.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

borosen wrote:
    This is not really anything new.
    Microsoft usually charge for their software. The only difference is that this time is is officially called a beta.

thanks that made me laugh....

and I say yeah send em an invoice...... just don't plan on getting paid....

• User profile image
    KevinB

I woudl imagine it is a way of deterring those people who only download it, costing Microsoft money, to play with it or maybe even just download it and then not install it.

Microsoft only want people to download it if they are actually going to provide some useful feedback or at least use it enough day to day that the Watson crash reports will be relevant.

I'd also imagine that their big partner companies are getting it for free and will get tech support etc, it is only the general public who have to pay this pretty nominal fee.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents....

Kevin

• User profile image
    sbc

I think you should get a discount (more than $1.50) for the final product if you have to pay for a beta.

• User profile image
    Chadk

I think this is fine

The $1-2 its gonna cost, is nothing. But it covers the price of bandwidth.

• User profile image
    AIM48

They are alos paying anywhere from 25 to 50 cents a transaction for credit card processing so all they are getting out of it is a dollar?

So say they get another 40,000 downloads = that $40K - a quarter to half of that goes to bandwidth and the left over 25K was probably spent on "program managment" getting this change made.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

If bandwidth is the problem for Microsoft then why don't they use Bittorrent next time?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.