Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Will you watch WWDC?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

By all accounts, although I don't know if anyone *actually* knows anything, this is gonna be a big one... us Mac nuts are already poring over this trying to find icons we don't recognise - sad I know.

Scoble. Who? wrote:

Speaking of Apple, they are readying a dizzying amount of new products. I wish I could camp out at an Apple store during the World Wide Developer Conference on August 7th. I wish I could say more, but that’d get me sued by Steve Jobs  ....

What could Apple release that might make you consider getting one? With me it is pretty much anything - I am already getting the money together to purchase a couple of new Macs.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

I used to be a major Apple fan (back in the IIc, IIGS and early Mac days). I occasionally check out their products online and once visited one of their stores. All that said, it would be interesting to see.

Just out of curiousity, do you do much software development for (or on) a Mac? How does it compare with programming for the PC world?

• User profile image
    Rossj

jsrfc58 wrote:

I used to be a major Apple fan (back in the IIc, IIGS and early Mac days). I occasionally check out their products online and once visited one of their stores. All that said, it would be interesting to see.

Would be cool to win you back after watching Steve's RDF for a little while.

jsrfc58 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, do you do much software development for (or on) a Mac? How does it compare with programming for the PC world?

Only really for myself atm, I've not released anything, but I intend to go full bore on OSX dev sometime next year - if I can get my finances in order.

How does it compare? Cocoa, as evinced by its NextStep heritage is probably (IMO) the best designed GUI framework out there.  Yes there are issues, some that annoy the hell out of people, but overall it is a thing of pure beauty Smiley

Having said that XCode takes a little getting used to.

• User profile image
    Balatron

I'm going to watch it with a friend (driving from Philly to northern VA to do that).  That being said, they're going to have to earn my love this time.  I've been using Mac notebooks for about 5 years.  That being said I do Windows for a living...I've sold off my MacBook Pro and now I play the waiting game.

It's going to be a cage match of Vista+Zune versus Leopard+iPod.  Winner gets my $$$ next year.  Smiley

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

Do you happen to know if Apple will be streaming the keynote through Quicktime as it occurs?

• User profile image
    Rossj

CyberGeek wrote:
    Do you happen to know if Apple will be streaming the keynote through Quicktime as it occurs?

I expect it will be streamed a couple of hours after the event ..

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

The hot rumor is that they're releasing the iPhone/iChat/whatever.  A mobile phone that looks like an iPod.  I know I wouldn't buy one, they'd be pretty stupid.  Or better yet the iTablet, and everyone will say that Microsoft's TabletPC is such a ripoff.
    people are stupid

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Rossj wrote:

jsrfc58 wrote: 

Would be cool to win you back after watching Steve's RDF for a little while.
    I don't know if I'll ever go back. The problem that I eventually realized was that Apple was a hardware company more or less. I sunk many years into writing software (for myself, for people at my school, and elsewhere)...only to have Apple completely abandon the II platform. I was about a third of the way done building a suite of applications that I was hoping to release as a rival product to Appleworks. I built a decent word processor in BASIC and assembly (and was going to eventually have it all written in assembly or something compiled), and was working on a sound program and a complimentary graphics program. This was in the late eighties...just a little bit before Microsoft's time. I didn't have a C/C++ compiler, didn't know how to find one, and well...sort of abandoned developing anything for Apple-related around 1994. It's too bad, because I was working on 3-D modelling program for houses, a replacement OS for DOS 3.3, and my own programming language/IDE. At some point I went, "this is nice, but who is going to buy any of this?"

I thought about buying a Mac a while back, and working with Cocoa, Carbon, or whatever they use now, but the market seems so small. Plus, it didn't seem like much of anything was built with backwards compatability in mind.

If I sink a ton of time into building software like that again, I'd want it to be used in a year or two...not left behind. Of course, there are a lot of teams building most software products nowadays...back in the eighties, you had more "lone programmers" than you see now. So, I'd have to be on a "team".

RossJ wrote:

jsrfc58 wrote:

Only really for myself atm, I've not released anything, but I intend to go full bore on OSX dev sometime next year - if I can get my finances in order.

How does it compare? Cocoa, as evinced by its NextStep heritage is probably (IMO) the best designed GUI framework out there.  Yes there are issues, some that annoy the hell out of people, but overall it is a thing of pure beauty

Having said that XCode takes a little getting used to.
    I never did anything on the Mac per se, but I saw enough other things to know they were pretty far ahead of other "platforms" in several areas. It was fun, that was for sure.

Edit: If I had an open schedule, and LOTS of $$$ to burn, I guess I would go out of curiousity...

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/registration.html

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Yep I am going to be watching. Hoping a MacBook Pro with Core Duo 2 preinstalled with 10.5. Will buy one straight away...think about the cost another day Should be a good show

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I wont be watching it but if any of the tech news sites carry any good stories regarding it I'll read them. I'm not an Apple fan but it never hurts to know what the world's best software company's competitor is up to, I wonder what Longhorn/Vista feature will be shown off in OSX.x.x
    Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Rossj

Jason Cox wrote:
    I wonder what Longhorn/Vista feature will be shown off in OSX.x.x

All of them, unless any more get dropped from Vista Wink

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Speaking of watching this, how can we all check it out? Links, please!

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

Well, the keynote will likely be posted here sooner or later. I don't know whether or not they'll post a live feed there as it's occuring, however.

I would really like to see a live stream as it's happening, seeing Steve announce something is an entirely different experience from reading about it later. If there is no live stream, I may very well isolate myself from most of the internet until a recording of the event is up. The challenge will be trying to find a recording without running into news headlines of what was announced along the way.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I will have no choice.  Im going to WWDC.  Im going to be wearing my newly purchased BSD T-Shirt and I wish I had a C9 shirt, Id have worn that.  If any Microsoft guys are going for a present, have them give Steve Jobs a C9 guy.  I wonder if Steve will announce Channel10

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Rossj wrote:

Jason Cox wrote:I wonder what Longhorn/Vista feature will be shown off in OSX.x.x

All of them, unless any more get dropped from Vista

I wonder what new ideas Apple have for OS X that will make into Vista or Vista SP1?

• User profile image
    Tensor

rjdohnert wrote:
    I wonder if Steve will announce iChannel10

fixed.

• User profile image
    messerschmi​tt

SJ will at least announce a completely new Intel-based PowerMac modell, the last one in Apple's arsenal to be transfered from PPC, my guess is it will run on the newly announced Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme 64 bit, and thus start the 64-bit transfer for the whole Mac hardware line-up.

• User profile image
    nojetlag

Well remember the last big hype and then what came ? Not much...

Some funny boombox, hahaha.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.