Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How hard your passwords?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Beetlejuice

    Hi everyone...
    Not long ago i was in vacation... 7 days without a computers - it was hard. :O So anywhere.

    How hard your passwords (and where)?

    a - character
    N - number
    _ - symbol
    U - upper case character


    i working with many programms and systems, in some system (like Lotus Domino in LAN) my passwords is not hard like NNNNaaaa or aaaaNNNN.
    ...MS SQL Server i use 6-10 symbols. If the system is too critical then: aaaN_aaUa_NN_aaa.

    Often administrators create passwords in english simbols but words in other language. I know some unix administrator - he use passwords like that: PoordevilAssqualityJojoba.

    I think for more or less protection password must contain: 4 - lower case character and 2 - upper case character and 2 - numbers and 1 - special symbol

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    Mine are usually gibberish passwords I randomly create.

    For e.g.: ghgiu80s

    I find that randomly creating passwords is best as it is very hard to figure out such a password based on what you know about a person.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Safest bet is to stick to the words that were on that list in the drawer in the movie Wargames. Can't go wrong with 'pencil'.

    But I usually use ones like aaaaaNNU.

  • User profile image
    Angus

    When I was working at a university they had very complex encrypted passwords to enter, such as (the following password is probably not real, but an example of what one might look like):

    a"fjsu!¬¬3465soifjh4s4^%--&%£*&

    These made the jobs of the people a bit harder as there were about five like this that they had to remember, but they were pretty secure.

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    Gaijin

    My passwords are both secure and easy to remember. How do I do it? Easy...

    I open the oxford advanced learner's dictionary to 3 random pages and with my eyes closed I select a random word, and I use the first page number digit from the third page, the second from the second and the third from the first. Then I order the words in a way that will make sense to me and add the numbers in the end. I always have the first letter of each word being capital.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Uppercase Letter, Special Char, Wifes First SSN 3, My Last SSN4.....

    Not neccessarily in that order

  • User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

    I use this for medium-security passwords:
    Atory Password Generator

    For high-security passwords that I will never use (things like SQL Server sa passwords) I like to throw a few non-printable characters into the mix (like BEL or 0x09)

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    

    For high-security passwords that I will never use (things like SQL Server sa passwords) I like to throw a few non-printable characters into the mix (like BEL or 0x09)


    Pah, trusted connections, who needs SA, set it to something random and never care again.

    (This is not really a sensible suggestion)

  • User profile image
    pftqg

    I usually use the Mac OS X password maker - it's memorable option creates passwords like (for something I type often, 14 characters) Huber453.crook or (for something I type requiring more security, 20) Cherie66067#skulking

    However rather than use them straight I'll adapt them - perhaps use the name of a woman I was talking to that day instead of the name generated, plus I'll never capitalise at the same character position twice in a row... though now I'm giving away secrets. I'll also make small changes to (say) the numbers used to make sure I can type it quickly and accurately.

    Of course, things like my web servers don't allow authentication by password (requiring an SSH key).

    Please note that the two passwords shown above were created for this post. I'm not crazy enough to post my own passwords online. Or am I? Smiley

  • User profile image
    xrT

    I usually pick a fairly long word then write it down in a piece of paper, and invert the paper. Then I'll use characters that will resemble the inverted word, like 'e' for an 'a' and 'p' for a 'd', etc...

    Then add a non printable character somewhere....

    Takes sometime to be familirized though...

    (now i can actually write words in an pa+Ja^u! manner Wink)



  • User profile image
    Red5

    As an interesting side topic to this, I once saw an application where the user did not enter a textual based password.  Instead, the user was given a photograph on screen. 

    Then using their mouse or stylus would tap/select a point on the picture.  They would do this x amount of times and the sequence and position in which they did it was considered their "password" 

    There was some forgiveness on the closeness to which the user tapped/selected their pixel.

    If each x-y coordinate would be considered a "character", and you had a 3 megapixel picture to use, wouldn't it be challenging to iterate through all the permutations that could be a possible password, in order to crack it?

    I searched for the link on the application I saw this in but have not found it yet.

  • User profile image
    Angus

    Red5 wrote:
    As an interesting side topic to this, I once saw an application where the user did not enter a textual based password.  Instead, the user was given a photograph on screen. 

    Then using their mouse or stylus would tap/select a point on the picture.  They would do this x amount of times and the sequence and position in which they did it was considered their "password" 

    There was some forgiveness on the closeness to which the user tapped/selected their pixel.

    If each x-y coordinate would be considered a "character", and you had a 3 megapixel picture to use, wouldn't it be challenging to iterate through all the permutations that could be a possible password, in order to crack it?

    I searched for the link on the application I saw this in but have not found it yet.


    I have seen this also, it looked interesting, but not something I would use instead of a password, I wouldn't "feel comfortable" with it.

    Angus Higgins

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    I take 2 words, find a way to split it(For instance, if it were the word Salmon, i would split into Sal Mon), and find another word, for instance IBM, and split it into I B M.

    I then put them together

    And then my password would be:

    ISalBMonM

  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    Hard like granite, they are

  • User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

    made up words that mean something only to me (and that i never use)... then i secure them.... securing them is a secret (not even the gf knows)... lets just say its goofy and makes almost no sense.....

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Mine (most of the time, but not always) are real words, converted to numbers, letters, and symbols.

    Gr@n173_mAr83L

    Which I would remember as Granite_Marble

    No, that isn't currently one of my passwords Smiley Don't get your hopes up.

  • User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

    I have three types of passwords: Rubbish, Medium Security, and high security.

    Rubbish I use for things I don't care about (Internet Forums, Registrations etc). Medium I use for things I care about a little (e.g. E-Mail, web server logins etc) and high I use for things that would hurt me IRL (e.g. Bank accounts).

    Rubbish: password1234, helloWorld, secretword10
    Medium: 39833939, 393939word393, word2929292word
    High Security (these I rarely hand type): _smd28*3~sda21(|

    My high security passwords are stored in a very secure electronic place and are made up of two elements, 50% that is only known in that file and the other 50% that I memorise.

    So a file might list "_sad28*3~sda21" as a password in a generic list but I add something onto the end "_sad28*3~sda21helloWorld1234" and thus nobody with access to my files (excluding a key logger) could gain entry.

    The electronic database of passwords is stored something like this:

    [RandomName10000.txt]
    1: _sad28*3~sda21
    2: $daasd+|_3993kl
    3: *dsaasd+_"1,sda

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Gaijin wrote:
    I open the oxford advanced learner's dictionary to 3 random pages and with my eyes closed I select a random word, and I use the first page number digit from the third page, the second from the second and the third from the first. Then I order the words in a way that will make sense to me and add the numbers in the end. I always have the first letter of each word being capital.


    Wow that's dumb.....all I have to do is just what you explained and I'll have your password....geesh

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.