Coffeehouse Thread

107 posts

Vista 2.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Apple: We copied Vista and added a few things to it?

Seriously why would you call your OS the 2.0 of something that isn't out yet??

• User profile image
    Rossj

Apple have a history of snarky posters detailing how
    a- Microsoft is copying
    b- Microsoft is late

Personally I think they are funny for about 3 seconds, and then just annoying as they flood all the techie sites during WWDC.

Besides I am too excited about the keynote to worry about them being snarky ..

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

jaylittle wrote:
    Well you have got to give Apple this much:  They commit to something and usually produce it within a reasonable time period tht is relative to the original target date.  Microsoft on the other hand....
    Microsoft will announce things LONG before they ship, Apple on the other hand will announce things as they prepare to ship and will sue anyone who leaks the information out before Jobs makes it public. If you didnt know that Apple was going to include a feature in the next version of OSX, you wouldnt know then if they dropped it either or if it was pushed back to the next version.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Jason Cox wrote:
    If you didnt know that Apple was going to include a feature in the next version of OSX, you wouldnt know then if they dropped it either or if it was pushed back to the next version.

How sensible. If Microsoft followed this approach then I guess there would have been a lot less flack about things being dropped from Vista.  I kind of like knowing what is coming though, so in this respect it is a no-win situation for Microsoft.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Rossj wrote:

How sensible. If Microsoft followed this approach then I guess there would have been a lot less flack about things being dropped from Vista.  I kind of like knowing what is coming though, so in this respect it is a no-win situation for Microsoft.

If Microsoft did it (and they used to) there would be no end of complaints about how it gave the Office team an unfair advantage in the market as they could work with all the APIs long before anyone else could.

If Apple ever get a big enough market share for people to care, it'd be interesting to see how they'd cope with that.

• User profile image
    BenZillaThe​Second

Oh I thought the 2.0 was the % of the market share Apple holds Wink

• User profile image
    jb43081

Rossj wrote:

Jason Cox wrote: If you didnt know that Apple was going to include a feature in the next version of OSX, you wouldnt know then if they dropped it either or if it was pushed back to the next version.

I think it's more valuable to Microsoft and the development community to do it the way they are doing it now. Sure, there is a little embarassement when things get dropped and dates slip, but the feedback Microsoft gets from the development community, and the ideas they are able to incorporate into the product make it worth the sting.

Besides, I always take the jabs of the "Apple people" with a grain of salt. It's easy to be smug when you're percieved as somehow "more pure," honest or cool than your competitor. The "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads are a prfect example; since Apple is "the underdog" facing "the evil empire" few people are willing to call Apple on the carpet for the FUD and just plain incorrect information (OK, OK... LIES) they are spreading. The VH1 thing was funny, but it still didn't address the issues that a lot of the "information" in those commercials is just plain untrue.

• User profile image
    ewschone

Everything is 2.0 right now so why not Vista Tongue Out.

• User profile image
    Erisan
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Erisan wrote:

Damn beat me to it....

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jaylittle wrote:
    Here is something that jobs Apple said during the keynote just now in reference to demonstrations of Leopard:

"Stuff we can't show you. We're not showing you everything. Some things aren't there so Microsoft can't copy them"

Ouch.

Apple is talking crazy stuff against Microsoft...honestly I think it's a tad unprofessional.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jaylittle wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:Apple is talking crazy stuff against Microsoft...honestly I think it's a tad unprofessional.

I agree.  But given their about face on so many issues as of late, it doesn't surprise me that they are resorting to this type of behavior to keep their user base energized.   I mean for years they talked about how bad Intel processors were and now suddenly they are 3x-4x faster than the godlike G5?

Heh.  Somebody at Apple had to eat their BS pie for lunch and it didn't taste so good me thinks

True, plus Vista has alot of features that Apple doesn't so they have to draw as many correllating factors...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

"10:40AM - "It is that easy to go back in time and bring back things. Now Time Machine works with more than just the Finder. I'm going to look for... Sonya. I must have accidentally deleted Sonia. Now (opens Time Machine) I can look for Sonia and... there she is. Again, I just click Restore and I can bring her back to the address book. But as I said earlier, the most important thing to me is my photos. Now there's an entire roll missing from a trip I took...."

Looks like we may have a crash. Relaunches."

Apple Conference "ohhh".
    Microsoft Demo "OMFGWTFBBQLOL!!!!111!!!"

Wow, this looks a lot like System Restore doesn't it?

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

The thing to keep in mind, too, is that Apple is only targeting a small, controlled set of hardware specifications, which is much different than what Microsoft has to target. Therefore, they can respond much quicker to tech needs/changes.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Wow, doesn't this look like a feature from KDE/Gnome?

I guess it's time for Apple to knock off Linux too huh?

• User profile image
    Erisan

Cybermagellan wrote:

Wow, doesn't this look like a feature from KDE/Gnome?
    I guess it's time for Apple to knock off Linux too huh?

No, even Amiga's Workbench had multiple screens althought the implementation wasn't 100% the same.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

As much it is fun to make fun of the Vista trainwreck, Apple is performing grade-A faggotry right now. It was funny back last year with their Longhorn joke, but now it's just dumb.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Keynote wrote:

"Two years ago, we thought we'd have a little fun with the folks in Redmond. Let's look at Spotlight. Now it's easier to find information on your local disk and on the Web. They did a major innovation. Instead of having the menu on the top right, they have it on the bottom left. Another major technology is RSS. We have a browser that's simple and elegant and added Safari RSS. Guess what? IE7 RSS."

Keynote wrote:

This is iCal, our calendaring program, and this is Windows Calendar . They even tried to copy our color scheme but they didn't get it quite right.

Keynote wrote:

"You know, our friends up north spent over $5 billion on R&D, but these days all they seem to be copying is Google and Apple

Not sure I agree with most of this, but then I've not used Vista yet, but it does come across as a little unprofessional.  I haven't read to the end of the keynote but I hope they have some new technology to back up this claim - there is nothing new under the sun, it's all been done before.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.