Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

How many African Americans working for Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

Just out of curiosity, I see many black actors in the hollywood movies, so I just want to know how many MSFT employees are black?

Sheva

• User profile image
    Chadk

footballism wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, I see many black actors in the hollywood movies, so I just want to know how many MSFT employees are black?

Sheva

From my experience when i was at microsoft in copenhagen. There actually were quite alot(I saw a new bunch of guys, that just was hired there. At least 1-3 of them were black). But this is compared to the amount of people you usually see in danish companys.

Also, if im not wrong, i also remember seing quite alot of black guys on the videos. I never notice their color on channel9.

I think that is great. Yet i dont know if its very nice to calm the black. But just in case. I do not mean black the bad way.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

footballism wrote:

Sheva

Depends on how many are in the ClipArt Gallery Warehouse where Zeo works....

• User profile image
    Zeo

Clipart Gallery Warehouse you say!?

Nah, I'm working in B-Town, Boston that is.

Back on the topic of how many employees are black here at MSFT, I don't have an accurate count off the top of my head, but Microsoft does have offices in several countries throughout Africa(so I'd imagine that the number is significant). 

Now in my experience at Microsoft I have the luxury of working with people of all different backgrounds, in my group at the Boston office there are atleast 5 black employees that I know. 

Honestly tho, when looking over code or responding to e-mails I never really think about ethnicity.

Off the top of my head, one guy comes to mind.

John, who is black, is a talented developer and avid Halo player who schools me every time we have a coding competition or play Halo for that matter. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Gambit

footballism wrote:

Sheva

I'd like to know that myself. We need to see a "Minorities in Tech" feature on C9 in addition to the "Women in Tech" videos.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Zeo wrote:
    Clipart Gallery Warehouse you say!?

Nah, I'm working in B-Town, Boston that is.

Back on the topic of how many employees are black here at MSFT, I don't have an accurate count off the top of my head, but Microsoft does have offices in several countries throughout Africa(so I'd imagine that the number is significant). 

Now in my experience at Microsoft I have the luxury of working with people of all different backgrounds, in my group at the Boston office there are atleast 5 black employees that I know. 

Honestly tho, when looking over code or responding to e-mails I never really think about ethnicity.

Off the top of my head, one guy comes to mind.

John, who is black, is a talented developer and avid Halo player who schools me every time we have a coding competition or play Halo for that matter. 

You work for MCS?

EDIT:

Lots of MS'ers are great Haloers.

Halo 4 vs. 4 Team Competition:

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

PocketXP wrote:
    Regarding diversity, I always check the Board of Directors.

The Microsoft BOD is not bad:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/bod/default.mspx

Apple's BOD has no diveristy (all white males):
    http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html

typical

• User profile image
    phreaks

DoomBringer wrote:

PocketXP wrote: Regarding diversity, I always check the Board of Directors.

Apple's BOD has no diveristy (all white males):

typical

Typical of what? Affirmative Action is racism defined.

What is the context of this question?
    Should any given company be forced into absolute percentages of any given race?

Well what about gender, nationality, eye color, weight, age, religion, sexual orientation or even perhaps political affiliation?

• User profile image
    rcardona

Why compare to Apple? Microsoft is more comparble to IBM than Apple. And IBM's board is MORE diverse, (cough, PC): http://www.ibm.com/investor/corpgovernance/cgbod.phtml

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Everyone in the Channel9 videos is white, middle eastern, indian or asian.  When we gonna see some hispanics and some black people?

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Chadk wrote:

footballism wrote:Just out of curiosity, I see many black actors in the hollywood movies, so I just want to know how many MSFT employees are black?

Sheva

From my experience when i was at microsoft in copenhagen. There actually were quite alot(I saw a new bunch of guys, that just was hired there. At least 1-3 of them were black). But this is compared to the amount of people you usually see in danish companys.

Out of those how many where American though? How many where African (Like from Africa Africans)?

• User profile image
    BigDataDev

Regarding diversity, I always check the Board of Directors.

Apple's BOD has no diversity (all white males):

• User profile image
    LaBomba

I have a more important question,

how many fat people work for microsoft?

• User profile image
    IRenderable

LaBomba wrote:
    I have a more important question,

Just find out how many are developers and that should be about right. And the devs who arn't fat places are taken by other people who are fat.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

IRenderable wrote:

LaBomba wrote: I have a more important question,

Just find out how many are developers and that should be about right. And the devs who arn't fat places are taken by other people who are fat.

survival of the fattest.

btw its perfectly understandable if in tv and film minorities are underrepresented. because of how the culture is constituted, if you make a show about a black family, it will be seen as a show about a black family. not just because of viewer perception, which is the case also,  but how you will probably have to write it differently. if you make a show about a white family, it is just a show about a family. then if you make a show with a group of friends, and add a black friend, he will almost always seem like a 'token' black that was put in the show to give black people representation. this doesn't mean good shows with minority actors can't be on tv, it means they're not obvious to make, or harder to make sucessfully, so one can expect them to disproportionately represent the percentage of minorities in the population. as much as it seems like they are some times, films and tv shows aren't formulas where you can just plug in minority actors and contexts and things will work just the same.

• User profile image
    zhuo

brian.shapiro wrote:
    btw its perfectly understandable if in tv and film minorities are underrepresented. because of how the culture is constituted, if you make a show about a black family, it will be seen as a show about a black family. not just because of viewer perception, which is the case also,  but how you will probably have to write it differently. if you make a show about a white family, it is just a show about a family. then if you make a show with a group of friends, and add a black friend, he will almost always seem like a 'token' black that was put in the show to give black people representation. this doesn't mean good shows with minority actors can't be on tv, it means they're not obvious to make, or harder to make sucessfully, so one can expect them to disproportionately represent the percentage of minorities in the population. as much as it seems like they are some times, films and tv shows aren't formulas where you can just plug in minority actors and contexts and things will work just the same.

I quite enjoy comedy with an all black cast, in fact my mind automatically associate these comedies as good comedies. And if you seriously think about it, the top actors that pops up in your head, who are they? to me it's quite a mixed colour, blacks, whites, asians ...

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

footballism wrote:

As always, this is pretensed with "these thoughts do not represent the thoughts of my employer and are my own personal thoughts", blah, blah, blah, but...

Who cares?  Microsoft, like all companies, tries to hire the smartest people they can.  Smart people are smart people.  Period.  Skin color, sexual orientation, etc do not affect intelligence.

• User profile image
    raymond

HumanCompiler wrote:

footballism wrote: Just out of curiosity, I see many black actors in the hollywood movies, so I just want to know how many MSFT employees are black?

As always, this is pretensed with "these thoughts do not represent the thoughts of my employer and are my own personal thoughts", blah, blah, blah, but...

Who cares?  Microsoft, like all companies, tries to hire the smartest people they can.  Smart people are smart people.  Period.  Skin color, sexual orientation, etc do not affect intelligence.

Who cares was my reaction as well.

However, I would hire the smartest and wisest.

It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. 
      Mohandas K. Gandhi

Being smart is what keeps some people from being intelligent. 
      Thomas Sowell

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.