Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

How to convert WMA lossless in batch

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vzczc

Hi everyone.

This may not be the right forum to ask this question, but since there are so many bright people here perhaps someone can help me.

I've now used the better part of every evening last week to convert my CD collection to WMA in the new lossless format. Thus, I have around 125Gb of music.

I'm looking for two things.

1) How should I go about converting this collection to lossy WMA (or MP3) in a batch operation. SDK? Can the Windows Media Player 10 do this? Any microsoft utilities that do this?

2) I have a small LAN connected box connected to my TV and stereo (in another room than my computer). This is capable of streaming WMA (the old lossy format), MP3 and can connect to WMA streams (ie internet radio and so on). However, the user interface on this device sucks. What I would like to accomplish is to create a streaming service from my computer to this device, ie just locally. Is there a way of doing this with any free microsoft components?

Any help appreciated.

Øystein

• User profile image
    Jaz

1) this should do the trick http://www.poikosoft.com/
    in my opinion it's worth the cash

2) i'm unsure, is it a 486 or is it something like the netgear box?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

vzczc wrote:
    1) How should I go about converting this collection to lossy WMA (or MP3) in a batch operation. SDK? Can the Windows Media Player 10 do this? Any microsoft utilities that do this?

What you need is the Windows Media Encoder. It contains a script to encode files, which can also encode entire directories in one go, for example the following command line:
    cscript.exe wmcmd.vbs –input C:\My-clips –output C:\My-clips-coded

You can specify all kinds of options, like 1 or 2-pass encoding, (variable) bitrate, sample rate, channels, etc.

I think the Encoder can also be used to broadcast (stream) audio, but I've never done that so I'm not really sure.

• User profile image
    vzczc

Thanks Sven. The script worked perfectly, It is somewhat slow though, my machine(3.2Ghz P4) spent almost 24 hours encoding my 125GB. But now I have 450 CD's available from my Neuston. www.neuston.com

I'll look into broadcasting later.

Øystein Smiley

• User profile image
    samov

vzczc said:
    Thanks Sven. The script worked perfectly, It is somewhat slow though, my machine(3.2Ghz P4) spent almost 24 hours encoding my 125GB. But now I have 450 CD's available from my Neuston. www.neuston.com

Øystein Smiley

Hello,

I am trying to do the same thing. Batch convert some files to WMA Lossless.

Here is the command:

Open a command prompt. Then "cd C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder"

then 

cscript.exe wmcmd.vbs -a_codec WMA9LSL -input "c:\your_directory_here" -output "c:\your_directory_here"

• User profile image
    Harlequin

samov said:
    vzczc said:
    *snip*

Hello,

I am trying to do the same thing. Batch convert some files to WMA Lossless.

Here is the command:

Open a command prompt. Then "cd C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder"

then 

cscript.exe wmcmd.vbs -a_codec WMA9LSL -input "c:\your_directory_here" -output "c:\your_directory_here"

5 year old necro....is this a record? Has to be close =)

• User profile image
    Chim

Harlequin said:
    samov said:
    *snip*

5 year old necro....is this a record? Has to be close =)

I use MelodyCan. It is the best, easiest and fastest converter i found. You can try it)

• User profile image
    magicalclick

vzczc said:

Øystein Smiley

125GB? Oh my goodness.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

magicalclick said:
    vzczc said:
    *snip*

125GB? Oh my goodness.

haha, yeah.. and the domain isn't even in use anymore. *lol*

• User profile image
    spivonious

If only there was a way to go the other way. I have my collection of 100+ CDs in lossy WMA and want to go lossless without reripping every single CD. Smiley

• User profile image
    dentaku

@spivonious: Ha! That would be what people call MAAAAGIC Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.