Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Road to Delhi

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Charles

I wanted to express what I experienced on the way from Agra to Delhi last week. What came out was a poem, written while waiting to stand in line to get into the airport terminal to stand in line late Friday night.

C

• TommyCarlier

That's beautiful. Your writing really captures your thoughts and feelings and efficiently transfers them to its readers.

• Charles

Thanks. It just flowed out. The inspirationfor it still lingers in me. What a trip... India is a crazy beautiful chaotic place. So much poverty surrounding the intellectual and professional/educated centers. So many people. It was an experience of a lifetime. That's for sure.

C

• jeffsand

Awesome Charles...  A video of the drive is at http://www.jeffsandquist.com/TheDriveFromAgraToDelhi.aspx

(Laura is in the front seat and Charles is sitting in the back with me)

• Red5

Well done Charles.  I like it.

• Cybermagell​an

jeffsand wrote:
    Awesome Charles...  A video of the drive is at http://www.jeffsandquist.com/TheDriveFromAgraToDelhi.aspx

(Laura is in the front seat and Charles is sitting in the back with me)

If you removed all the trees and filled the area with sand, removed about half of the cars and replaced them with kids riding bikes and holding onto the cars that are left, and filled the streets with potholes it's pretty much the same as driving from Khandahar International Airport to Khandahar City Proper....

Except we all had weapons in our car.

• System

Very nice Charles!

That video was crazy! Just seeing them two people sitting in the back of the van waving, must be off putting to drivers. The mopeds would annoy me. They also drive so close to the other cars.

• SoylentG

That is so beautiful, Charles! You captured it so perfectly, I feel like I was there.
    Thanks!

• LaBomba

Nice poem...

i can tell you i felt much the same way when i visited the far east.

Try hanging on for dear life while riding thru that traffic on a motorcycle!

Eye opening experience indeed!

I don't plan on going back though anytime soon, maybe somewhere less out of this world. Tongue Out

• Larsenal

Well done, indeed.  It reminds me of my reflections during and after my trip to Vietnam.  I was there helping with a philanthropic technical project, so there was some joy in that.

Traveling to such places can truly change some of your perspectives on life.  Frankly, when I consider the suffering and poverty in this world, my ambitions of mastering C# delegates, agile programming methodologies and Vista internals feel very hollow.

Another poem (edited somewhat) that captures my thoughts very well:

Teach me to know my end,
    What is the measure of my days,
    That I may know how frail I am.

Indeed, my days are as handbreadths,
    And my age is as nothing;
    Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.

Surely every man walks about like a shadow;
    Surely they busy themselves in vain;
    He heaps up riches,
    And does not know who will gather them.

• jason818_25​3.33

Charles, why did you go to India?

My wife and I watched an intreaging broad cast on public telivision tonight. 80% of US fortune 500 companys have out sorced to India.
    The yearly pay an out sorced employee can make in Inda is between 2k to 10k. It can cost up to ten times more to employ the same job in the U.S.
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/shows/india2/index.html

But the most interesting part of the show was how this buisness effects the traditions of the Indian culture.

I think we take things for granted here in the U.S. some times.

I think India would be a neat place to visit or live. The poeple and culture seem very nice.  Your lucky you got to visit there. and see the Tajma Hall. Smiley

• NuTcAsE

jason818_253.33 wrote:

the Tajma Hall.

Thats Taj Mahal Smiley.

Seeing that video Jeff made got me all nostalgic.... I miss being back home Sad

• billh

I like it. It is a bit impressionistic, even.

Big Smile

Larsenal wrote:
    Traveling to such places can truly change some of your perspectives on life.  Frankly, when I consider the suffering and poverty in this world, my ambitions of mastering C# delegates, agile programming methodologies and Vista internals feel very hollow.
    Or going through major life-changing events can do this too.

• jason818_25​3.33

Larsenal wrote:

Frankly, when I consider the suffering and poverty in this world, my ambitions of mastering C# delegates, agile programming methodologies and Vista internals feel very hollow.

I have felt this same way at times. Even depresed.  I felt i should be doing something ells with my time and talents, and I thought that what ever i was to do would have to be done on a grandeos scale. This made me even more depressed becouse i felt helpless and small in comparison to all the areas of the world i see that needs help.
    I had to look at things differently to get out of my slump. Your programing skills though they may seem isolated in thier scope of influence play an important part in a bigger picture. Your working helps the economy that can help fund other struggling economys. The program you write might help the person who is offering humanitarian aid on the front lines. You just dont know exactly what influance one plays in the grand sceam of things.

I make computer games, I enjoy making the computer games and its a good fit for me but some where deep down i wish i had had the schooling and skills to be a doctore or some one really important.

I like to think that its just as important if not more so to first be able to make a positive contribution on a small scale than it is to make an impact on a grand scale. I have a doughter and a wonderful wife and i think if i can first suport them in making thier life fullfilling, I can then think about moving to a slightly larger sphear of influence. But if i cant first sufficiantly suply the requirments needed right around my life then it is pointless to try and make a difference some were far away when i have failed at home.

ok so the point is, you have programing skills that others in the world dont. use them for good and they will touch others lives. [A]

• Larsenal

Jason and Billh,  good thoughts.  I do have far greater ambitions than code and computers.  Although technical and vocational goals are commendable, it's great to be reminded of the big picture.

• jeffsand

jason818_253.33 wrote:
    Charles, why did you go to India?

Charles, Laura and I went to India to cover The Imagine Cup for Channel 9 and 10.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.