Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What does XNA stand for?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

Q: What does XNA stand for?
    A:
    XNA’s Not Acronymed

-From XNA FAQ : http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/faq/

Microsoft usually has really bad names, but I found this is really funny. :O

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Typical "made up the acronym first, then came up with it's meaning" situation. Smiley

There are plenty of examples of such "recursive" acronyms in the *nix world: Pine Is Not Elm, PHP Hypertext Processor, etc.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Eeeekk!! we really need to help Microsoft with their naming conventions.

So if it's not an acronym then do we pronounce it as ...

"zzzzznnnaaayyy"

?

• User profile image
    eagle

It was synthesized from Deoxyribonucleic acid.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

It's from Microsoft,  so it's gotta have an 'X' in there

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Sven Groot wrote:
    There are plenty of examples of such "recursive" acronyms in the *nix world: Pine Is Not Elm, PHP Hypertext Processor, etc.

I think GNU's Not Unix is the original recursive acronym, but I could be wrong.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Xml Xaml Xtreme Xbox XNA

Xacerbating.

• User profile image
    Minh

DoomBringer wrote:
    Recursive names stopped being funny awhile ago.

Do you prefer

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Interactive Media Development Platform Edition

?

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Recursive names stopped being funny awhile ago.

But I am going to buy this.  $99 for making my own games for my 360?  Hawt.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I hate those kinds of acronyms... I don't know what people drives to create such acronyms. Do they think they look smarter then?

• User profile image
    dweller

littleguru wrote:
    I hate those kinds of acronyms... I don't know what people drives to create such acronyms. Do they think they look smarter then?

Well, I didn't think I looked smarter.  I was on the tail end of a rather grueling 18 hour workday and was feeling a little punchy.  I felt that the FAQ needed something that would end it with a smile.  I'm sorry you didn't like my humor Sad

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Its like DNA but different.  If Charles and the team ever get an interview with J Allard and any of the X-Box team Im sure they could ask.

• User profile image
    BryanF

If memory serves, here's the approximate breakdown:

X -- a reference to Xbox and DirectX
    N -- Next generation
    A -- Architecture

My understanding is that XNA isn't a "real" acronym in the sense that each letter is a reference to a different individual buzzword, rather than a coherent phrase.

EDIT: FWIW, I thought the FAQ entry was amusing. Big Smile

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

dweller wrote:

littleguru wrote: I hate those kinds of acronyms... I don't know what people drives to create such acronyms. Do they think they look smarter then?

Well, I didn't think I looked smarter.  I was on the tail end of a rather grueling 18 hour workday and was feeling a little punchy.  I felt that the FAQ needed something that would end it with a smile.  I'm sorry you didn't like my humor

That's it, I think you crossed the line.  Let's kill Dave!

Eh, its about as funny as any other recursive acronym.
    Good blog, BTW.  I added it after I saw the mention on Larry Hyrb's blog.

• User profile image
    littleguru

DoomBringer wrote:

dweller wrote: 
    littleguru wrote: I hate those kinds of acronyms... I don't know what people drives to create such acronyms. Do they think they look smarter then?

Well, I didn't think I looked smarter.  I was on the tail end of a rather grueling 18 hour workday and was feeling a little punchy.  I felt that the FAQ needed something that would end it with a smile.  I'm sorry you didn't like my humor

Haha dudes. Don't take it to serious. I'm just not a big fan of those kind of acronyms. They are so computerish or insider jokes. I have a friend who tended to acronym anything in that way.

After a few months it got weird and heavy... I hope you understand me too Smiley peace!

I think that XNA looks great as it is... XNA sounds great and needs no acronyms. I'm looking forward to play with it!

• User profile image
    Andrew Davey

I'm glad the X-Box side of Microsoft can tell the gray marketing suits to get lost when it comes to setting names. Now if only the development platform team could do the same! I'm still lamenting the loss of "Avalon" and "Indigo". Every other business seems able to come up with great names and are not subject to copyright/trademark issues - surely Microsoft could spend a few more dollars on more imaginative, inspiring names?

XNA is a good "acronym" compared to "WPF" because the number of syllables is 3 compared to 5.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

littleguru wrote:

DoomBringer wrote: 
    dweller wrote: 

Haha dudes. Don't take it to serious. I'm just not a big fan of those kind of acronyms. They are so computerish or insider jokes. I have a friend who tended to acronym anything in that way.

After a few months it got weird and heavy... I hope you understand me too peace!

I think that XNA looks great as it is... XNA sounds great and needs no acronyms. I'm looking forward to play with it!

(psst: I say "let's kill dave" because it is his XBL gamertag, and name of his blog)

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

ViM - Vi Improved

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.