Coffeehouse Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Easter eggs still allowed?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Richard Acton

KW802 wrote:
    I thought that the 'official' reason was that in order to get some Federal security classifications that there could not be any undocumented features in the apps.

That's how I understood it too. It makes total sense to me, although I don't see why you couldn't keep the Easter Eggs and just document them anyway. The Word 2 About box with the little men being chased by a monster was pretty funny, but I thought the Excel 95(?) onwards entire 3D room that you can navigate round was a bit overkill.

Re: Being fired for adding an EE to an OS; was anyone fired for the Windows 95 Easter Egg accessed from creating 3 specifically named folders on the desktop?

• User profile image
    Manip

Is the fact that in XP you can't make a folder called 'con' an EE or more likely some reserved folder for something or other?

• User profile image
    miies

Manip wrote:
    Is the fact that in XP you can't make a folder called 'con' an EE or more likely some reserved folder for something or other?

That has been the case since Win95 (maybe even Win3.11). 'con' is a reserved system device name (just like 'com1' and 'lpt1') and as such can not be used as a file name.

Edit: 'com' -> 'com1'

• User profile image
    Charles

machocomacho wrote:
    Just Curious if anyone in microsoft can explain this:
    If you type      about:mozilla     into  the Internet explorer a blue page shows up,
    does this mean that microsoft is going to bring death to mozilla"the blue screen of death. I couldn't find any other page that showed the same results. If you type  about:mozilla  into firefox, it shows a creative little passage, I hope somebody can clear this up for me at microsft, it is fairly odd

You should see an answer to this soon by an IE person.

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

Charles wrote:
    machocomacho wrote: Just Curious if anyone in microsoft can explain this:
    If you type      about:mozilla     into  the Internet explorer a blue page shows up,
    does this mean that microsoft is going to bring death to mozilla"the blue screen of death. I couldn't find any other page that showed the same results. If you type  about:mozilla  into firefox, it shows a creative little passage, I hope somebody can clear this up for me at microsft, it is fairly odd

You should see an answer to this soon by an IE person.

Keep on posting,

Charles

Im anxious Wink

Jake

• User profile image
    Charles

My understanding (after talking to various people in the know...) is that about:mozilla first showed up in IE3 for compatibility reasons and never left. As for the hidden meaning in today's implementation (a blue page), there is none.

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Interesting result when doing the same in Firefox:

Jeremy W. wrote:
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

Now, I'm fairly sure this has some entendre's Wink

• User profile image
    machocomacho

[quote user="Jeremy W."]Interesting result when doing the same in Firefox:

Jeremy W. wrote:And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

Thats the creative little passage I talked about in my first post, if you want to know something, that passage changes with every release,look back at firebird and it talks about a pheonix rising from the fire..just an interesting hint......

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

With so many security flaws in windows and until sp2 the firewall not being on by standard what not have a little fun.

• User profile image
    ernst

Firebird 0.6.1 gives:

And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of Mammon shall tremble.
    from The Book of Mozilla, 3:31
    (Red Letter Edition)

woah!

-Ernst

• User profile image
    sbc

Firefox 0.8:

And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

Surely they should change it - as it is Firefox and not Firebird (unless some clasify foxes as birds?)

• User profile image
    OldManCoyote

Charles wrote:

... We were allowed (encouraged, really) to create Channel 9, after all. Consider how other large corporations would react to the notion of a Channel 9 type of web community...

A good propaganda machine as well.  Wink

• User profile image
    sbc

prog_dotnet wrote:

there is one in office xp and office 2003.
    Try this:
    Open a blank word document and type (or copy it):
    = rand (200,99)
    Press enter
    Wait 3 seconds...

Works on Word 2000 as well.
    It writes The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. on 200 lines and 99 columns. = rand (5,2) writes it on 5 lines on two columns.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Charles wrote:
    When I was in Windows, the rule for Easter Eggs was really quite simple:

You put one into Windows, you're outta here. End of story.

Keep on posting,

Charles
    Which one did you make?

• User profile image
    Charles

LOL 

That's a good one, ZippyV.

Charles

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.