Coffeehouse Thread

92 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why I just warezed Visual Studio 2003

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    I just downloaded a *.torrent for Visual Studio 2003 Professional, despite me already owning Visual Studio 2003 Academic (which is a strict (albeit, minor) superset of Visual Studio 2003 Professional).

    The reason: activation. Today was the 12th time I had to activate it, and it's getting intolerable.

    VS2003 Academic is the only version which requires activation (presumably they think students would trade the CDs, even though most unis have MSDN-AA or the shop sells it for peanuts).

    So I'm switching to an inferior product to avoid activation, I'm glad VS2005 doesn't require activation, but they should know better than thinking students don't change their hardware regularly and/or reformat their boxen.

    Explain that, Microsoft Smiley

    And AndyC: Please don't start your "You didn't pay for the convinence not to activate" diatribe, if "product activation" is a feature (and according to MS's marketing materials, it is) then your argument is non-sequiter.

  • User profile image
    Activator

    Release the hounds!

  • User profile image
    Jaz

    most Uni's don't have MSDN AA nor sell it cheap.  the majority of students don't change their hardware all the time or format. and students do trade cd's all the time.

    Activation isn't that much hassle.  it takes a few mins, it's nothing.  i don't believe you have any justification in downloading an illegal tortrent.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Activator wrote:
    Release the hounds!

    or - Send in the Hounds!

    (yes - she aint nuthin but a hound dog but shes a good friend o' mine) Big Smile

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    W3bbo wrote:
    if "product activation" is a feature (and according to MS's marketing materials, it is) then your argument is non-sequiter.


    Three wheels is a feature of the Reliant Robin, the Aston Martin DB9 lacks this feature and is still a better product. Tongue Out

    Face it, you paid for and accepted an EULA, which clearly requires you to comply with product activation. All the hand waving, vague self justification of software piracy makes not one iota of difference.

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    I concur, owning VSAA doesn't give you the "go ahead" to download a torrent of VS. You just circumvented the structure that Microsoft has in place. Mind you most developers don't constantly reimage their machines....

  • User profile image
    jamie

    he's not alone though...  hopefully it adds up

    customers + threats/checks/validate x 100        = no customers

    just as:

    UI + non-customize/"illogical" (haha) / locked    = no customers

  • User profile image
    BryanF

    If you've installed VS2003 twelve times, that's once roughly every 3 months--assuming it's on one computer. Even for three computers, that averages out to less than a year between installs. If you're having to reinstall that often, you're either doing something wrong (e.g., getting malware), or you're anal retentive. I'm not going to make a moral argument, since I know it's wasted breath, but Jaz is right: it seems silly to come here and justify downloading pirated software to save yourself a whopping five minutes per install. If the issue is around beta software, that could be remedied with a virtual machine and a little foresight. At the very least, I really don't think it's Microsoft's problem if their software isn't optimized for the "w3bbo demographic".

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ...but when you go to war with your customers... what do you think they will do?

  • User profile image
    jamie

    from my experience- activation forgets it's activated.
    it's a joke - set to go off all the time (yes they "toned it down") but its still "active"

    if vs's activation is anything like vista or all of ms.com - how can you blame w3bbo?  maybe 6 of the 12 times were false ..maybe not... who knows?


    *edit

    [please validate again to edit]

    ..you know what.. NO! - cancel - download...

  • User profile image
    AdityaG

    Should have gone to Launch Tour. VS2005. free. Problem Solved.

    Then again, some people still hate VS2005 for mysterious reasons. *shrug*

  • User profile image
    BryanF

    jamie wrote:
    i speak from experience when i say activation forgets it's activated.
    it's a joke - set to go off all the time (yes they "toned it down") but its still "active"

    if vs's activation is anything like vista or all of ms.com - how can you blame w3bbo? maybe 6 of the 12 times were false ..maybe not... who knows?
    I've only got a limited set of data points to work with--my own machine and those of family and few of my friends--but I've never seen the kind of activation resets you're talking about. If I had a better idea about how bad the problem was, I probably would be more open-minded. Still, keep in mind this isn't "genuine validation" we're talking about (which is a genuine PITA); activating VS is a one-time, five-minute ordeal per install.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    W3bbo wrote:
     it's getting intolerable.


    You’ve spammed this forum with more then a hundred threads detailing your exasperation with technology....
     

    I reformat my HD often, and activation is just part of the routine.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    i was refering to how my activated vista - forgot it was activated (bug in re-check?)  and trashed wireless connect and network - demanding activation - so i phoned and did it.

    maybe ill have to call again tomorrow? who knows what evil lurks in the os's of men...

    Wink

  • User profile image
    dahat

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    I concur, owning VSAA doesn't give you the "go ahead" to download a torrent of VS. You just circumvented the structure that Microsoft has in place. Mind you most developers don't constantly reimage their machines....


    I don’t want to sound demeaning... but W3bbo is also the guy that uses a corporate XP key instead of his legitimate one to avoid activating as well (and gripes later when the key he uses causes issues).

    I’m sorry W3bbo but when you buy or legitimately acquire a piece of software you only get the features and benefits that come with it. If you don’t like it, spend the money to get the version that doesn’t require activation or play by the rules.

    I do hope that when Vista comes out you do not end up with a legitimate copy of Home Premium and through more piracy upgrade yourself for free to Ultimate because you think you are entitled to a higher version.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ...w3bbo...running vista... now there's a thought

    *i am buying new hardware (router/laptopcard / new video to replace 2 pci cards using currently) to finally load vista on main machine (edit: to see aero)

    for some reason i picture W not being too keen on whats missing and customization ...could be wrong.  maybe this is the one that gets him to full UI glory ( we know he didnt like luna) 

    Smiley

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Mind you, the VS2003 install drove me nuts too. Not because of activation though.

    First you have to install it, which takes a long time and since I have the CD version I can't leave, I have to stay there to swap CDs. Then I have to install .Net 1.1 SP1, reboot, install the security upgrade for .Net 1.1 SP1, reboot, install the GDI+ update for VS2003 (this was pre-SP1), install the MSDN update for VS2003. Argh! Not to mention I always needed the VS2002 CD to install it too since I had the $30 upgrade version.

    So yeah, I've since abandoned VS2003 for VS2005, which installs a heck of a lot faster, I've got on DVD (so no disc-jockeying) and doesn't require 30 minutes installing various updates afterwards.

    Activation doesn't really bother me. I re-install really really often, because of the beta stuff. Not just Vista, which I install clean every new build, but also if I've had a beta version of anything on XP and the final comes out, I reinstall. So I've had to activate XP quite a lot. And it's still doing it, over the Internet, without complaining. Takes all of 30 seconds. So yeah I don't change my hardware all that often (I think the XP key I'm using has seen two major hardware swaps, the XP x64 key none).

    Jamie: I've never had a machine mysteriously de-activate. Since it happened to you on Vista, I suspect it's a bug. File a bug report on it, for sure.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Sven Groot wrote:
    Mind you, the VS2003 install drove me nuts too. Not because of activation though.

    First you have to install it, which takes a long time and since I have the CD version I can't leave, I have to stay there to swap CDs. Then I have to install .Net 1.1 SP1, reboot, install the security upgrade for .Net 1.1 SP1, reboot, install the GDI+ update for VS2003 (this was pre-SP1), install the MSDN update for VS2003. Argh! Not to mention I always needed the VS2002 CD to install it too since I had the $30 upgrade version.


    Now you've got VS2003 SP1 too Wink

    I mitigated the fragmented CD problem by creating ISOs and keeping them on my fileserver (and mounting them with Daemon Tools)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.