Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XBOX360 vs PS3 Menus

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I'm not going to revisit the menuing system here on C9 however Scoble had recorded with Larry Hyrb about that...but IGN just covered the PS3 menu system...

Either Sony has a card up their sleeve or they have no idea how to make a menu system

[link]

• User profile image
    Bobinho

"Press that little Playstation button on the middle of your controller"

Hmmm. Might that be yet another borrowed feature?

The menus look like a complete disaster zone. Similar to the PSP as he says, but then this is not necessarily a good thing on a 50" screen.

Sony better get it together. I honestly think they have underestimated Microsoft this time around.

And you don't ever wanna do that!

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Graphicly speaking, Yes, the PS3 menu is rather plane and makes me think of an apple computer. But the up side to that is that its not messy and easy to navagate. i am guessing this thing has been focus tested up the yin yang.  (thats that little hangy thing in the back of your throught i think).

What would be cool! seeing that its so graphicaly plane. Down loadable ' menu Skins'. Costomizable menus. The user able to choose from an onslot of thier favoret theams.  This would actualy be more fitting for the XBOX (takeing costumability under the hood and not just on the face plates) I think I would favore seeing this feature on the x box.

I do think that the X Box menue  is by far more graphicaly enhanced. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jason818_253.33 wrote:
    Graphicly speaking, Yes, the PS3 menu is rather plane and makes me think of an apple computer. But the up side to that is that its not messy and easy to navagate. i am guessing this thing has been focus tested up the yin yang.  (thats that little hangy thing in the back of your throught i think).

Yin yang: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The "little hangy thing on the back of your throat is called the uvula.

---now back to our regularly scheduled thread---

Unless Sony makes the display size adjustable, it looks to me like they're completely ignoring that portion of their userbase who use standard definition televisions or don't sit right in front of their TV.  The interface otherwise looks pretty good (for a console) but, if it's illegible, the whole system is completely worthless.  We'll have to wait and see how it turns out (not that I'm going to buy one anyway).

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

The "little hangy thing on the back of your throat is called the uvula.

Big Smile

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Big Smile

• User profile image
    Mr Ribs

It's really IGN's fault for misleading people but that's a cut down devkit interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpKwRHxSzoY

That's an older video but still more representative of the retail console UI. Online gameplay related features and voice/video chat aren't demonstrated so it's difficult to do a full comparison but I think it's a very attractive design. From using the PSP cross media bar (XMB) I know it's a quicker and more intuitive interface to navigate than the 360 dash and I like that I'm not forced to stream certain media types from an OS I don't have yet and won't until Vista ships.

What the IGN video does demonstrate for the first time is to a certain extent how the menus overlay games. As the devkit UI is missing icons I wouldn't be surprised if other things are a little off, the game should probably ghost out or darken so the icons are easier to see. This is where on Xbox 360 you get the opaque Guide sliding in from the side with tearing and slowdown, an extension of the dashboard which runs at a lower resolution so the contents are noticeably blurry.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Mr Ribs wrote:
    It's really IGN's fault for misleading people but that's a cut down devkit interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpKwRHxSzoY.

The UI seems fine initially, but once you select a menu option, the menu doesn't "collapse" in an easy-to-follow manner.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.