Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Need a Final Year Project Idea

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Londoner

I’m a student of a computer science degree as well as a developer at one of the investment banks (101% .NET)

I was hoping if you guys could help me come up with an idea for my final year project, which I hope to do in VS2005 (to get some experience with new stuff before my employer adopts it)  
    I've gone through the list of possible project suggestion on my uni website but all of them are either highly academic or involve a lot of "blah blah blah".
    Neither can I take something from work since it would be hard to isolate stuff I’m working on (trading and analytical systems) into a single project.  

Please save me from doing yet another chat app, ftp server, p2p client etc…    

• User profile image
    Manip

You've just given us a completely open book.. why not tell us some of the ideas they have rejected and why, and some of your peer's projects. Also if you have a project spec and such that would be helpful.

• User profile image
    chuawenching

Hi there,

I don't think it is wise for you to use vs2005 until the official release.

Using a beta software won't help you to score.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Londoner

Manip wrote:
    You've just given us a completely open book

Sorry about that, it's because so far I’ve failed to come up with even a single idea, or may be I’m being extremely picky, but I have to be, since it is something I would have to be working on for the next 8 months.

Manip wrote:
    some of your peer's projects

Friend of mine would be working on mp3 repository and classification system (ASP.NET + SQL2005)

• User profile image
    Londoner

Hopefully by the time I finish we’ll have a release or at least a RC (at the place where i work we've used .NET in  production since Beta2)

Smiley
  • User profile image
    Manip

Suggestions:

BitTorrent Client
    Mail Server
    Rendering Engine
    Image Processing
    Compiler
    Interpreter
    Development Environment
    Text Editor / Document Processing
    Shell
    Spam Generator / Filter

What job would you like to go into after your degree?

• User profile image
    chuawenching

Popup Blocker

Plagriasm engine - copy a text of paragraph, and then search google - use google api

Genetic Algoritm Scheduling System

• User profile image
    Sabot

Londoner, as an ex-developer from the City, I used to work in an investiment bank working on trading floor systems.

I could give you a few ideas if you like based on the systems I wanted to build.

1) .Net CF version of trading floor system, something straight forward like LSE or EuroBonds. Could just be read only, even that would be useful.

2) Dead easy system that sends SMS mesages to traders phones on a triggered event, all this is preconfigured by the trader before he leave his desk.

3) Day trading software for foreign exchanges, equities and cash bonds. It's not a market that has allot of players in right now.

Speaking of Day - Traders, if you actually went and spoke to a few I bet they would give you a better idea of exactly what they wanted, try a Day Trading House like Mac Futures for example,

Mac Trading Services Ltd
    155 Bishopsgate
    London
    EC2M 3XA
    Tel: 020 7377 2456

Hmmm, now let me think if I can think of some more.

-Sabot

• User profile image
    Londoner

Even though i deal with "trading" everyday i would really like to stay out of a this since i simlpy dont have enough of business knownedge to implement something worthwhile.

[To All]
    Let me put the question this way: if you had a year of spear time what you would like to create?

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

What would I create? A Drupal-like piece of software, in .NET. That's what I'd create.

• User profile image
    jamie

come up with a way to easily rename 1000's of digital photos  Wink

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

What I did, was I took what my emphasis was in college (Artificial Intelligence) and that helped me narrow down the topics very fast!

Do something that YOU'RE interested in.. something out of the ordinary..

Jake
    http://www.whoisjake.com/blog

• User profile image
    themaffeo

Londoner wrote:

[To All]
    Let me put the question this way: if you had a year of spear time what you would like to create?

A simple browser.  Probably limit support to HTML, Images and MAYBE some basic CSS1 element.

• User profile image
    jamie

themaffeo wrote:
    Londoner wrote:

[To All]

A simple browser.  Probably limit support to HTML, Images and MAYBE some basic CSS1 element.

make it inline html based - hopefully using iframe ( or frames if you must )  *target=iframe

go to news.com

STOP target=top from functioning on web based browser and wiping out interface
    = make equiv of msn browser with NO install
    live loading

= write a script parser for every - from frame page - url as a pre-load on every loading page to: parse out _top and append whatever variable (_self)in it's place

( good luck Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.