Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Google's future

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Marsella

Reading in various places that Google is hiring various phd's and OS developers, it could be that they may be secretly building some sort of web app OS which will run on there servers. http://blog.topix.net/archives/000016.html.
    Other possiblities, such as a Linux Distro of some sort. Any other speculations?

• User profile image
    DEEETER

Seems to be the question of the year. And nobody has a real answer... I started a thread like this too. I received two reply's.

But it is going to be fun to watch. But your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure somebody like Scoble has heard a thing or two but maybe not...

• User profile image
    Manip

What is interesting is if you look at who they are pulling.. I mean there must be something *very* interesting about this new project to drag some of these long time Microsoftians away and to google. And I doubt it will be a back-end web-app server.

For some reason I have trouble believing it is a Linux distro though.. it is NOT google's normal direction. They have never released a stand alone piece of software ever (I don't include web-app linked software like the toolbar / GNotify).

• User profile image
    DEEETER

Your right, They have pulled in some UI guys and stuff. But I guess one reason to leave MSFT is to go get in on some of those nice stock options. The money can't be bad. But they also have to be working on something big they sure have the money...

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:
    ...They have never released a stand alone piece of software ever

Well, Picasa is a stand-alone app
    http://www.picasa.com/picasa/

But, what's wrong w/ the internet search/advertisement biz? Seems to be working pretty well so far.

-----
    www.1DudeGames.com

EDIT: Cool... C9 has a bad word filter... see if you can guess what it thougt I said.

CLUE: advertisement

• User profile image
    DEEETER

Answer : adverti(I need to watch my language)t

Close ???

• User profile image
    jamie

it looks like google's future is microsoft's past:

Google has wooed Joshua Block, one of the main developers of the Internet programming language Java, from Sun Microsystems. The company also hired four people who worked on Microsoft's Web browser, Internet Explorer, and later founded their own company. One of them, Adam Bosworth, is credited with being a driving force not only behind IE, but Microsoft's database-management program, Access.

Most recently, Google grabbed Joe Beda, the lead developer on Avalon, Microsoft's code name for the user interface that will part of the next version of Windows, called Longhorn.

http://www.nypost.com/business/30438.htm

..so they got IE teamsters + XML/.Net guru bosworth and avalon Beda

• User profile image
    DEEETER

Yeah you have the prospect for a better UI ( or updated ) and hybrid OS of some sort and money to bring more big names in. It is the Big Little guy on the block.

So are they going to bring out a new web TV??? Or is this finaly the network is the computer...

Should be fun...

• User profile image
    DEEETER

Your right the BIG question is are they going to go hardware or stay with software. Which I guess is what everyone is wondering...???

They really don't need much to plug into the net DUH !!

• User profile image
    Cider

I think the obvious direction for Google to go is to try and close the gap between their services and the desktop.  Basically, at the moment, the biggest problem that Google has is that to get at their services, you need to use a web browser and that obvious puts in a key level of abstraction (both interface and security based).  If they could put in some kind of application interface to replace the browser (not generally as competition to IE/Firefox/etc, more specifically targetted to their service), then they can put in more "intimate" services to try and effectively make a network-enabled version of My Documents amongst other things.

They would be utterly mad to take on Microsoft by trying to make their own OS or the sort.  I really like Google's technology but one thing that really bothers me about them is its like no one learnt a single thing from the dot-com bubble.  Google is currently worth probably 10-20 times what they should be and apart from owning people's email, they have no hooked in customers.  I look at these people they have signed up more in the same way that what happened when transmeta first came to prominence - people joining the company more for the interesting technology than some long-term "They've got a killer business idea here and I want in" reason.

• User profile image
    jamie

i bet they do something like this:

* 10 minute hack:

http://www.gnuarts.com/google
    * for full efffect - hit Full screen button with taskbar on autohide

it will be default start page *edit* or perhaps even main interface * on cheap machines

• User profile image
    jamie

DEEETER wrote:
    Your right the BIG question is are they going to go hardware or stay with software. Which I guess is what everyone is wondering...???

They really don't need much to plug into the net DUH !!

The Google Computer
    at walmart 200 dollars
    you never know

i was actually refering to the brain trust they are assembling and that to me = software not really hardware.

i am especially pleased that they got the avalon guy
    wish ms would partner with google oh well

• User profile image
    jamie

New MS one:

-------------------------------------

Solve this cryptic equation: What...is your favorite color?

Write a limmerick making fun of google

What's my line?

What's broken with Windows? How would you fix it?

This space left intentionally blank. Please do not fill it

On an infinite, two-dimensional, rectangular lattic of 1-ohm resistors, what is the wind speed of the average carrier pidgeon?

In your opinion, what is the most beautiful artistic work ever derived?

-------------------------------------

• User profile image
    jamie

slashdot had an arguement about that - with users divided over the fact that they couldnt do their jobs without google - so THAT was giving back - and the other half saying what you said

• User profile image
    Manip

Cider wrote:
    They would be utterly mad to take on Microsoft by trying to make their own OS or the sort.

True, if they want to start from scratch.. but google MIGHT not need to. If they just want to develop Linux then they can get a head-start.

On that note... Google really doesn't pull its weight where Linux is concerned. They use Linux all over the place but yet what have they submitted back to the community?

• User profile image
    Karthik

Manip wrote:

True, if they want to start from scratch.. but google MIGHT not need to. If they just want to develop Linux then they can get a head-start.

What makes you think that Google would want to release an OS based on Linux?  That's not typical of Google -- so far, they've managed to innovate quite well by doing things differently.

Look at the people they've taken -- Joe Beda, for instance, used to work on Avalon, which is quite a strong core-infrastructure related area. If Google does anything at all, it would be something subtle and not something that's obvious.

Look at it this way -- Google's arms reach out to searches, newsgroups, emails, shopping and even into a significant number of desktops (in the form of Google toolbar/Picasa).

Who knows, they may come up with a new OS -- that you can remotely boot into off their network, without having to install it on your system.  You never know. Even if they do, there is no reason it has to be Linux -- that would entail them to release the code into the pool, which they may not want to at this point. I would say even if they DO choose, it maybe something that resembles a FreeBSD-ish thingy.

• User profile image
    Rossj

I've a feeling that the next couple of things you'll see out of Google are an instant messaging client based on Jabber and then possibly a browser (or enhancements to an existing Open Source browser - firefox possibly). After that I reckon it'll be a local machine search tool integrating searching the Internet with searching your computer - maybe even a WinFS replacement? Search has to go somewhere and your desktop is the obvious place.

I think the reason they are/were hiring so many OS researchers is because the problems they face with the size of their cluster and so on are fairly closely related to the problems faced by kernel designers. 

They won't need to release an Operating System they've already got one and it's running 10's of thousands of machines in their data centres. Maybe they'll just give us access to that from a lightweight kernel ?

• User profile image
    eagle

Keep in mind that the only thing Google sells is advertising.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.