Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista start up sound

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

A few years ago I actually posted on one of the Longhorn newsgroups a suggestion that there be some type of volume control on the logon screen, so you could mute the sound before startup, in case you were in a library or around sleeping people, and didn't have a way to physically adjust the speakers (ie a laptop with software controls).

That suggestion was in a list of other suggestions, and one of the Longhorn developers commented that he really liked the idea.

Unfortunately, they are not only not doing this, but are going the other direction.

http://scobleizer.wordpress.com/2006/08/24/the-startup-sound-in-vista/

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I imagine it will go something like this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1bgsvsWms

• User profile image
    jamie

i heard reasoning that many other systems do not allow the start up sound to change - so this is the thinking - i surmize.

leave it to ms - if there is an inch to take - they will take it - of late (no poem dont worry)

i just dont think this is the time to be removing / locking down - or "re-purposing" so many user actions and tools.

..i mean - the only thing the competition has - is freedom...

<alarm clock> the dream is over...thank goodness!  ...or is it?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

jamie,

my cell phone allows me to turn off my start up sound, and thats the first thing I did when I got it.

what is utterly annoying is that all of the tech geeks who are supporting this are making the case that the only people that oppose it are geeks like them who want to control every aspect of their system, and ordinary people have no problem with it. (of course, scoble seems to have a knack about making every issue about geeks vs. ordinary people)

geeks will find a hack and use it. its the ordinary people i am concerned about who this will discomfort. the 1% of geeks will quickly find a way to disable it; its the 99% of non-geeks who will be annoyed.

• User profile image
    jamie

DCMonkey wrote:

I imagine it will go something like this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1bgsvsWms

hahahaha....  that was great

*BUY IT!  Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

brian.shapiro wrote:

jamie,

my cell phone allows me to turn off my start up sound, and thats the first thing I did when I got it.

what is utterly annoying is that all of the tech geeks who are supporting this are making the case that the only people that oppose it are geeks like them who want to control every aspect of their system, and ordinary people have no problem with it. (of course, scoble seems to have a knack about making every issue about geeks vs. ordinary people)

geeks will find a hack and use it. its the ordinary people i am concerned about who this will discomfort. the 1% of geeks will quickly find a way to disable it; its the 99% of non-geeks who will be annoyed.

you say that as though i wasnt agreeing with you to begin with (which i was Smiley)  - so my reply may make no sense..  i agree

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Macs apparently don't allow you to turn the sound off either...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DoomBringer wrote:
    Macs apparently don't allow you to turn the sound off either...

But that's ok, right?

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Stop crying and just disable them like I do.

PS - The video cracked me up Big Smile

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

I think they should replace it with the sound of  HGV reversing would be alot less annoying Perplexed

• User profile image
    Piroko

I think that the sound is probably going to play when you turn on your computer, when it gets to the glowing "pearl" logo, it'll play the sound, much like the Mac, except that in the Mac's case, it plays right after it loads EFI, I believe.

• User profile image
    AdityaG

PaoloM wrote:

DoomBringer wrote:Macs apparently don't allow you to turn the sound off either...

But that's ok, right?

Yes! It's steve jobs damn it... It's apple! How could it not be ok... *sigh*

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

What i wanna know is what purpose does it serve?

I mean thanks for informing me i have turned my system on, it could have been potentially fatal if I would have forgotten that exactly 20 seconds ago I push the power button Expressionless

Is it for the benefit of blind people maybe, I think someone should mention that until brail computer screens are invented it's not much use!

• User profile image
    Jaz

i can't and don't understand how this (I need to watch my language) has blown up, who the (I need to watch my language) is testing vista, an army of w3bbo's?

• User profile image
    JKelley

Sounds like this is just all part of the plan to turn you all into Robert Fripp fans...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jaz wrote:
    i can't and don't understand how this (I need to watch my language) has blown up, who the (I need to watch my language) is testing vista, an army of w3bbo's?

If Vista was being tested by me we wouldn't see it released...at all. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Why can't you just mute all the sounds before it is shut down, and then when it restarts you won't hear anything?

Edit: Guess it helps to read the article first.

Edit: What an odd comment:

Scoble's Blog wrote:
    1. A spiritual side of the branding experience...

• User profile image
    Zeo

This is a good prespective on the rationale behind the Vista startup sound.

http://www.microsoftmonitor.com/archives/016933.html

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.