Coffeehouse Thread

41 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista: Spotted at retail ;)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Clean, confident...   just saw this shopping - went home and went back with camera Wink   * i do remember seeing Windows 95/98 big huge piles of boxes - but that was before the backwards retail thing

wonder if this is the canadian price for ultimate...minus the decimal Wink

edit: for old times sake - retail xpsp2 at staples in canada

edit - sorry for quality - i didnt have flash on to not attract attention... photographing...soap..

• User profile image
    Angus

Cool, remind me to go to that store, I could save lots of money. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Minh

When did they change

"Clear and Confident"

to

"Clean and Fresh"

????

It's crazy enough to actual work.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

And it can be installed on 70 computers!  So, no more worrying about paying too much for installing on multiple machines!  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    And it can be installed on 70 computers!  So, no more worrying about paying too much for installing on multiple machines! 

Ah yes, but how does it compare to:

• User profile image
    jamie

lol!

and:

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    And it can be installed on 70 computers!  So, no more worrying about paying too much for installing on multiple machines! 

..ahh  "70 Loads"  good one Smiley

um - below is rather harsh - but then again - so is the stuff being added to what can still be - the worlds greatest OS...

• User profile image
    LaBomba

LOL

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jamie wrote:

Great stuff, Jamie. Keep it up Smiley

...then I remembered, Ballmer did work for P&G before MS, right? That sure explains a lot Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

thanks Smiley

above does seem a tad ..mean.  but it seems many MSers - just look at WGA as a "ticket" you have to show. no biggie.

They seem to forget Activation being added to XP - also didnt go down too well...with some paying customers

So now there's activation plus WGA - to most likely work in conjuction with bit locker / digital locker DRM stuff for "some" software ..for now - but who knows the way things are going.

Do you like to lose control? do you like being validated over and over? do you like ghosts in the machine?

Some see the future as inevitably being this way

Some dont.  I like Windows - and dont like seeing it compromised in the guise of "easier" - when it's really a "time to bring in the cattle" call.

Death to validation - long live (faster paced) innovation! (oh and SOAP!) Wink

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie wrote:
    ...to most likely work in conjuction with bit locker ...

Er... Jamie... you *do* know what BitLocker is, right?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Erm...  bitlocker doesn't operate in such a fashion that someone else could cause YOU to be locked out of your data.  It isn't DRM, it's encryption--  only someone with the correct key can read the data.  The government or MS isn't going to decide that you can't access your hard drive anymore-- and they can't, as they don't have access to your key.

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM wrote:

jamie wrote: ...to most likely work in conjuction with bit locker ...

Er... Jamie... you *do* know what BitLocker is, right?

yes:

Bitlocker:

Thurott: " It turns out there will be exactly two NGSCB features in Windows Vista, Secure Startup and Bit Locker, the latter of which used to be referred to as Full Volume Encryption.

Bit Locker takes the technology behind the Encrypting File System (EFS) and applies it to the full hard disk all the time. The goal here, too, is physical security. Bit Locker's encryption of the drive contents prevents a thief who steals your laptop or desktop PC and then removes the hard drive from accessing its contents.
    my edit: yes thieves. bad thieves. but who else? MS perhaps? Government?

Digital Locker:

"The Digital Locker service, which was demonstrated at PDC, lets customers easily purchase, download and store information for software from the rich portfolio of products available on the Windows platform. "

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/sep05/09-13ISVSupportVistaPR.mspx

it's quite easy to "imagine" how the above 2 could theoretically work with the other "2"   (A & V  - ahh the terrible two's)

Validation:

"To mark with an indication of official sanction." [6]

http://www.answers.com/validation&r=67

edit *and we all know what version # of windows we are discussing correct? it's raining tin foil hats!  ..still. once it's in - it's in - just like once stuff's
    removed - it's...well you get the pict *zap* beeeeep.......   Expressionless 

• User profile image
    jamie

isnt this the encryption - that works with the secure boot - to a number - that is you?

*before this goes to an encryption debate - forget bitlocker then - Digital Locker - in start menu in vista - is a place to store software keys - *Quicken will be exstatic - I dont like seeing it - i dont want a "bank" in my computer.  Thanks but no thanks.

it creeps me out the way all this stuff is seeping into - what was - a mostly "of your own accord" environment - take a penny leave a penny. Not - time for the penny.

• User profile image
    jamie

re: The Digital Locker isn't compulsory

yes -but niether was wga  (boink!) ... that's just how it is being marketed - for now.

i just dont want a vending machine, homeland security, bank pc.

* ill get off the soap box now

</end>

• User profile image
    n4cer

The Digital Locker isn't compulsory. If you never buy software from an online service that uses it, you never have to see it. Otherwise, it gives you the ability to save product keys to the software you download, and the ability to re-download software you've already purchased (if necessary). It basically standardizes a piece of functionality online vendors currently have to build themselves.

Edit: Bitlocker doesn't use a key that can identify you. It uses metrics taken during the boot process and detects changes in those boot-time metrics so if, for example, someone steals your laptop, if they try to boot the drive on another computer, from another OS, using a different boot loader, etc., that will change the current metrics from the recorded metrics and they won't be able to boot access the drive. You can also keep part of the keying info on a USB drive, so no one can access your computer without the USB drive.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie wrote:
    *before this goes to an encryption debate - forget bitlocker then - Digital Locker - in start menu in vista - is a place to store software keys - *Quicken will be exstatic - I dont like seeing it - i dont want a "bank" in my computer.  Thanks but no thanks.

That's ok, others (like me for example) who can't be bothered to write down product keys or even *gasp* store an installer of something I may download, may find it quite useful.

I'd love to hear what you find "anti-consumer" in this. It's YOUR locker. Not Microsoft's, not the government's, not anyone else's. YOUR.
    jamie wrote:
    ...what was - a mostly "of your own accord" environment - take a penny leave a penny. Not - time for the penny.

Uh? When did we ever had this fabled environment? When a Unix license was thousands of dollars per CPU? When you had to use hardware dongles on parallel ports to run, say, AutoCAD? When a spreadsheet or a word processor was close to a thousand bucks?

Face it, it always has been a pay-per-play environment and I hate to play the "adjusted for inflation" card, but buying a copy of Windows today (the same holds true for OSX or any other commercial OS) gives you a lot more than what you had in the pre-95 era for roughly the same price.

• User profile image
    n4cer

It was pretty clear from the start WGA was being tested for later use. It's not as bad as it's made out to be. It even told Paul Thurrot he had been a victim of piracy when he didn't know it.

• User profile image
    jamie

re: paolo

well..i was going to shut up... Wink

first point:  re- anti-consumer / your locker:

how do i know that is true?  do i just .. trust ms - over - VISA?  - *they have a thingy-majig too

second: all you listed YOUR company helped to end!*except dongles on high end apps - but kudos! Long live the "essence" behind Win98se - (just not the code base)

but even it had a serial - ...then activation - now validation - i mean... where does it end?

how 'bout ...   here. Smiley  ( oops - one step back - serial / activation ... but no validation)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.