Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Product idea: Web-browser for TV

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

No, not WebTV (or MSNTV, as it's now known)...no, not any device that lets you view the web on your TV.

...but a web-browser for TV production companies to use that render web-pages in an acceptable manner for broadcast quality television.

I.E. not showing screencasts of IE over the TV, the picture is terrible and you can't read the page they're showing anyway.

A quick way to develop this would be to use an existing, proven, rendering engine, say Presto (which is adept for "unconventional" platforms), then raise the font-size, maybe use a User stylesheet, and no browser-chrome would be shown on the screen.

Reckon any company might buy it? I can see Discreet/AutoDesk making it part of their real-time systems solutions.

• User profile image
    z33driver

If you come up with a way to make it increase the font size etc. without screwing up the layout heck I'd buy it!  I surf the web on my TV (am doing it now) using FireFox through a living room PC hooked up to the TV.  When I increase the font size on pages like C9 they get all out of whack.  Some pages fail to work at all (stuff goes off the screen but you can't scroll to it, etc.).

• User profile image
    The J

Since you mentioned Presto, it might be worth noting that pressing F11 in Opera will go to a fullscreen mode that's, well, fullscreen. No chrome, no taskbar, just webpage on the entire screen. It's useful when I'm looking at a large image or flash movie.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I believe Opera is already capable of doing this. Opera has something called Extensible Rendering Architecture (ERA) that <quote> reformats web pages on the fly to suit any screen size, from two inch LCDs to giant 16:9 flat panel TVs. Horizontal scrolling is eliminated, and anti-flicker technology and TV-optimized fonts provide steady images on traditional CRT screens. </quote>

They already have a desktop browser, a mobile browser, a mini browser (for Java-enabled phones), a browser for Nintendo DS, a browser for Nintendo Wii, a browser for TV and top-set boxes, ... All capable of using XHTML, CSS, Javascript (except Opera Mini), DOM, AJAX, ...

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

W3bbo wrote:
    No, not WebTV (or MSNTV, as it's now known)...no, not any device that lets you view the web on your TV.

...but a web-browser for TV production companies to use that render web-pages in an acceptable manner for broadcast quality television.

I.E. not showing screencasts of IE over the TV, the picture is terrible and you can't read the page they're showing anyway.

A quick way to develop this would be to use an existing, proven, rendering engine, say Presto (which is adept for "unconventional" platforms), then raise the font-size, maybe use a User stylesheet, and no browser-chrome would be shown on the screen.

Reckon any company might buy it? I can see Discreet/AutoDesk making it part of their real-time systems solutions.

Eventually everything will be vector. Zoom in zoom out. Another problem is the resolution on the LCD/Plasma screens are not the same everywhere. Nor is the colour depth. I don’t even think you can detect the size of the screen from the browser if a TV is used, can you?

You’d be better off reformatting the content to vector, and presenting it that way.

P.S. W3 the offer still stands, we should talk. Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

This sounds like a nice idea. It could save space if you wanted to use a current TV for a monitor on a computer that you only browse the internet on.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    blowdart

z33driver wrote:
    If you come up with a way to make it increase the font size etc. without screwing up the layout heck I'd buy it!  I surf the web on my TV (am doing it now) using FireFox through a living room PC hooked up to the TV.  When I increase the font size on pages like C9 they get all out of whack.  Some pages fail to work at all (stuff goes off the screen but you can't scroll to it, etc.).

Hit people who use px in CSS instead of em then ....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.