Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Domain Driven Design and Development

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    raymond

One Saturday morning a few months ago, I was at a Visual Basic.Net special interest group (SIG) meeting in Dallas hosted by Microsoft.

The SIG leader asked for suggestions on future topics to be presented.

I suggested domain driven development.

Some programmer in the back of the room asked, "What is that?"

My response, if you do not know, you better find out!

Listen to the Jimmy Nilsson interview on .NET Rocks with Carl and Richard:

http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showID=194

or better yet, read the following books and find out for yourself:

Applying Domain-Driven Design and Patterns

by Jimmy Nilsson

Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software

by Eric Evans

Publisher: Addison-Wesley; ISBN: 0-321-12521-5

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

by Martin Fowler

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture 

Jimmy Nilsson mentions in his .NET Rocks interview the case of the disappearing ADO.NET and Entities video on Channel 9.

I remember it well, I viewed it in the afternoon and in the evening it was gone.

Do not let those silent black Microsoft choppers get you Jimmy!

Andy Grove was right, only the paranoid survive.

Programmers who are domain-driven will not only survive but thrive!

Check-out Jimmy's and Eric's blog:

http://www.domaindrivendesign.org

Cool

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

There is a DSL project on MSDN, have you looked at it yet?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I've always liked the domain driven design approach but I find that so many places write 'DataSet-centric' code that it's hard to move them over to domain driven design.

It's part of the overall datasets/custom entities argument for me.

If you use datasets through your layers then it's hard to decouple the persistence mechanism from the domain logic.
    If you use custom entities through your layers then you can easily decouple.

Unfortunately where I work now it's all heavily dataset-centric, so I don't expect to get much domain drived design done. Sad

Herbie

• User profile image
    raymond

Dr Herbie wrote:
    I've always liked the domain driven design approach but I find that so many places write 'DataSet-centric' code that it's hard to move them over to domain driven design.

It's part of the overall datasets/custom entities argument for me.

If you use datasets through your layers then it's hard to decouple the persistence mechanism from the domain logic.
    If you use custom entities through your layers then you can easily decouple.

Unfortunately where I work now it's all heavily dataset-centric, so I don't expect to get much domain drived design done.

Herbie

I feel your pain.

I am a project manager on an ERP application with over 1000 tables and stored procedures.

It is the mother of all data-centric applications and was not done in an object-oriented language such as Java, C#, or Visual Basic.Net, nor does it use business objects.

Yet, it works. Well go figure.

Why? the developer/architect understood the domain very well and did not let the limitations of the information technology get in the way.

Cool

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.