Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Zune Revealed...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba

Clunky-looking Microsoft Zune player revealed in filing

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1993

An obesely proportioned digital media player, confirmed to be Microsoft's upcoming Zune device, has turned up in photos and documentation filed with the FCC.

The iPod has a new enemy in town, with an expected release date of Nov. 14 and a $299 price tag. The Microsoft Zune opens a new market of "social" music connectivity.

Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) connectivity
    30 GB Hard Drive
    3 inch video LCD
    White, Black, and Chocolate Colors
    FM Radio
    TV output connectivity
    Dedicated song download site
    DJ Mode (broadcast what you are listening to)

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Built not to be able to flush down airplane toilets

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Touché.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I'm not one for portable music players, myself, but I think it adds some compelling features.  I wonder if they're going to do a lower priced flash based one.  I've never cared for the pricier hard drive ones, as I generally don't have that much music and I don't even spend much time away from my sources of entertainment.

• User profile image
    jamie

LaBomba wrote:

* i think Ultraman had a zune... - or beta capsule...

first glance - dont understand how it works.  so - here's a draft ...

... gross yes.  - but you could tell how it works... no?

edit- oops - two buttons missing:  Win logo (home) left  Shutdown icon (right)   just below video screen  *crap hang on Wink

ok added.   still gross haha.  but i can see how it works!

<big>

edit: well to fix it  - id have a transistor radio stlye: on /off / vol slider on the left (where thumb is - and pushing it down = home)   yes... thats hard to see the functionality as above too... here:

• User profile image
    RNewman

I showed these pictures to a friend of mine who uses an iPod. He said "I want a music player, not a PDA". I tend to agree with him.

Sure, you can get good video on a 3" screen, but other than that, it's grossly oversized for general music-listening use. Especially when you put it in your pocket. I'm guessing the screen will scratch easily, too.

heh, it does look very similar to a Dell Axim though.

Microsoft will have to get a "Second Edition" out to door pretty quick, to keep consumers interested, I think. Still, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Considering that most newer and some not so new cellphones all have memory card slots, the ability to play MP3s and (newer phones) AAC files, combined with various possibilities to hook up headphones, I'm surprised why the portable player market still works that well. I guess, it might be the video thing, but I consider that niche. Who wants to watch movies on a tiny screen?

The first thing I did after getting my new phone, was selling my MP3 player.

• User profile image
    irascian

Sigh! I wish Jamie were designing Microsoft's hardware. They might end up with something people actually wanted to buy then.

That Zune looks really.... dull. And if Microsoft should have learnt one thing from the iPod it's not that reliability or features are important but how "cool" the thing looks that matters.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Not only that but it looks like an iPod.

irascian wrote:
    Sigh! I wish Jamie were designing Microsoft's hardware. They might end up with something people actually wanted to buy then.

That Zune looks really.... dull. And if Microsoft should have learnt one thing from the iPod it's not that reliability or features are important but how "cool" the thing looks that matters.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I quite like the design, but then I always wanted to get a Nomad II but Creative would never sell them in the UK.

I'm waiting to see what the Zune featureset and UI is like before I make any decisions though.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:

No ad-hominem here, but Jamie's design for a portable media player isn't much of a design, it scores badly for usability too. Try using all the buttons on the bottom of a modern-day PDA whilst viewing the screen, it hurts your thumb because all the buttons are at the bottom.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Face it, the iPod is embedded in popular culture. And that Zune design is nowhere near pretty enough. Which annoys me as I need a new player.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I don't see why you guys are complaining about how it looks.  Looks fine to me.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

irascian wrote:
    That Zune looks really.... dull.

Well if the Zune looks dull where does that leave the iPod?

But there's more to a player than how good it looks, what about the fact that the iPod wastes so much space by orienting the screen the way it does.  If you ask me, I really like how the Zune has the screen on it's "side" so that there's a lot less space that doesn't have pixes or buttons on it.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

DoomBringer wrote:

Exactly. I like it! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Rowan

I wonder what the games will be like.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Games?

• User profile image
    staceyw

DoomBringer wrote:

Looks like a "raw" version.  I assume they will add the real style at RTM.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.