Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

See the difference in Vista marketing videos?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    longzheng

This is the Microsoft Partners marketing video for Windows Vista. I had a look to see what all the fuss is about. Apparently Windows Vista is all about “see(ing) the difference”, and I definitely see it. Tongue Out

Attached Image

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060828/...erence-clearly/

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

Unbelievable !!! Mind-boggling !!!

See the difference without one look at the product ?? Who comes up with this stuff ?

• User profile image
    RNewman

Sourcecode wrote:
    See the difference without one look at the product ?? Who comes up with this stuff ?

I agree...Microsoft seems to be using far too much of what seems like very blatant stock photography (and probably is).
    The problem (and this goes for lots of MS marketing material) is that all the information is contained in the text, and very little in the imagery.

It's now 5 minutes since I saw that video and I cannot remember anything from the text. I remember very little about the video, and even then it tells me nothing about the product.

Now, compare that to the Apple "Hi, I'm a Mac - And I'm a PC" adverts. I can remember most of the points they wanted to get across, their clothing, props, and so on. Much, much more effective.

MS prefers to use their synthesised, empty "Expressively Human" stock photgraphy-style images instead of useful illustrations. I can't understand why...It's time they scrapped their current design guidelines and came up with some new ones. Even I could do a better job..especially with that video Smiley.

</rant>
    apologies

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I skimmed through this thread, I thought it was going to be an innovative optical-illusion video "seeing clearly", but instead it's pretty cheesy.

"A significant new business opportunity"

...did the guys who made this video work for Amway or something?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

This just reenforces the fact that Microsoft has money to waste.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

If its got us talking, i guess its doing its job.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jason818_253.33 wrote:
    If its got us talking, i guess its doing its job.

Not really, it's not aimed at "us", it's a partners video. It's a sales video. It's not for the end user.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

blowdart wrote:

jason818_253.33 wrote: If its got us talking, i guess its doing its job.

Not really, it's not aimed at "us", it's a partners video. It's a sales video. It's not for the end user.

Is it doing its job for the partners then? what do partners think of it? what was the intent of the add/video? do all advertisements have to be "Unbelievable !!! Mind-boggling !!!"
     to be a success?...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where's_the_beef%3F
    Finally how is the success of an add measured for one to assume that it doesnt work?
    these are questions I am not an expert on.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.