Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Coffeehouse the new Techoff?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

What's with all the technical questions in Coffeehouse lately?  Can't the admins move the threads to the right Forums?

Edit:
    Maybe the issue is the order they are displayed in?  Coffeehouse appears on the first screen and says... " This actually is a place for you to talk."  And the Techoff is right down the bottom after scrolling down.  Maybe change the order or state in the Coffeehouse description it's for non-tech talk?

• User profile image
    fdisk

Just the other week people were complaining about how "useless" the threads were here. Or how there were too many trolls. Now they are complaining about how it is too "techy"!

Charles just can't catch a break.

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

The place of many threads that were opened recently is in the Techoff forum. That's a legitimate complaint.

And yes, there were (and are) too many trolls in this forum.

Rotem

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

They're closing the Coffeehouse down!

Wink

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

jaylittle wrote:

It's mostly because jsampsonPC seems to be an dolt incapable of taking this advice without taking it personally.  He is the primary offender as he has posted a continous stream of technical question threads in his quest to learn ASP.NET for a project that he agreed to do that needed to be completed within two weeks.

As if that is our problem.

Blah blah blah - It's not your problem that I accepted a job that is new to me. However, if you don't feel like assisting upcoming asp.net developers, then don't. Leave it to the other niners who are here to build and maintain, and that goes for more than software. People here are helpful and assisting, unlike yourself who is a self-ego-elevating numbskull who thinks he's better than anybody getting started in a new field...

To everybody else who was generous to be helpful, I do apologize for misplacing threads - won't happen in the future - but thank you for continuing to assist me. The job is finished, and my employer is extremely pleased with the end-result...we did it! I couldn't have done it without my fellow niners.

Now I'm off to do some DOM work, which I'm alot more familiar with than some previous stuff I had my hands in. Take care!

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

The coffee house is exactlly what it says "A place to talk"...what do you talk to your friends about? I mean comon now we each found our way here probably because of a certain type of person we are....not

"OMG! LOL Fluffy Bunnies!!! And JAYLITTLE YOU ROCK!!!"

In some emo'ish, AOL, MySpace way....but more of...

"Hey did you see where Microsoft has a new program that can..."

What do you talk to people outside of work about?

Re: Rotem - As far as I know beside you, Jsampson, and Cornelius this thread is full of trolls anyways...

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Cybermagellan wrote:

In some emo'ish, AOL, MySpace way....but more of...

Just when I thought I had found a safe haven on the internet from the kiddie drivel site of crap (aka MySpace) you have to mention it here! Expressionless

• User profile image
    An_Angel

Agreed that technical depth specific questions should be in the Techoff area but people do need to go and look and help the people with their questions out there.  That means if the questions are being ignored then they will look for other places to host their questions be that the coffee house or some other website elsewhere.

In the case in question yes it should have been a techoff one but hey people make mistakes.  We all live and learn.

On the note of the Coffeehouse though... well... From what I remember from when I first started here I assumed the coffeehouse for general tech chat, not just general random chat and as such these days I rarely bother going on the coffeehouse.  The content is generally contrived and dull. 

Whatever happened to all those people who made the place interesting with chat on latest gadgets, tech related stuff etc... I guess the trolls scared them all off or confined them to the techoff area. 

Time for the true techies to take it back over!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Cybermagellan wrote:

"OMG! LOL Fluffy Bunnies!!! And JAYLITTLE YOU ROCK!!!"

Awww you're just peeved no-one here has added you to their friends list on myspace

Big Smile

• User profile image
    AndyC

Cybermagellan wrote:

Beer, music, tv, movies, who did what with whom when ...

Never computers.

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    blowdart

AndyC wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote:

Beer, music, tv, movies, who did what with whom when ...

Never computers.

And this is why you probably won't see the C9 video taken of London users. Buhahahahahahahahahahaha

• User profile image
    AndyC

blowdart wrote:

And this is why you probably won't see the C9 video taken of London users. Buhahahahahahahahahahaha

Just to make it quite clear I'd like to point out that I was not drunk and spouting rubbish in that C9 video. I was busy being drunk and spouting rubbish elsewhere in the country at the time.Tongue Out

• User profile image
    blowdart

AndyC wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Just to make it quite clear I'd like to point out that I was not drunk and spouting rubbish in that C9 video. I was busy being drunk and spouting rubbish elsewhere in the country at the time.

No, I think it was the discussions of bondage, leather, shoes and some female UK bloggers that mean it's never going to see light of day. *phew*

Shame, the slagging off of WGA would have be amusing.

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

jaylittle wrote:

Cybermagellan wrote: Re: Rotem - As far as I know beside you, Jsampson, and Cornelius this thread is full of trolls anyways...

Thats quite amusing coming from somebody who is nothing than a mouthpiece for their parent corporation.  I can't wait until AOL 10.0 SUPER DUPER ENHANCED OPTIMIZED comes out, because I know you'll be posting a thread letting us know about it.  I just can't wait! 

Oh and if I'm considered a troll, so be it.  Thats a standard the community needs to set for itself.  I urge the community to ban me from this forum immediately if that is indeed the role that I am filling here.  I have no urge to be a troll, but if that is indeed how I am viewed, my time here is up.

Still, I think the mouthpiece is just a wee bit annoyed that some people are willing to call him out on his corporate proprogranda rather than either ignore it or brush it off with meaningless nodding in an effort to shut him up.

/me waits for Charles to say "Kids - Play nice"

Rotem

• User profile image
    Charles

An_Angel wrote:

Agreed that technical depth specific questions should be in the Techoff area but people do need to go and look and help the people with their questions out there.  That means if the questions are being ignored then they will look for other places to host their questions be that the coffee house or some other website elsewhere.

In the case in question yes it should have been a techoff one but hey people make mistakes.  We all live and learn.

On the note of the Coffeehouse though... well... From what I remember from when I first started here I assumed the coffeehouse for general tech chat, not just general random chat and as such these days I rarely bother going on the coffeehouse.  The content is generally contrived and dull. 

Whatever happened to all those people who made the place interesting with chat on latest gadgets, tech related stuff etc... I guess the trolls scared them all off or confined them to the techoff area. 

Time for the true techies to take it back over!

Agreed! Let's make the Coffeehouse a fun place to be again. If you want to be hard core technical, please so in Techoff. General conversation that is at least tangentially related to technology belongs in the Coffeehouse.

Just remember to be respectful. Think before you post.

Keep on posting,
    C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.