Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone used the new DevExpress Ribbon Control?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

    I started playing with the DevExpress Ribbon control this morning, and it works pretty well, except for one major issue...

    It doesn't support scrolling GroupItems...

    How can you have a Ribbon that doesn't scroll?


    I MUST be missing something here, but I have been all through the documentation, and their Support Site; can't find a darn thing on scrolling.

    Has anyone used this control that can tell me whether it does support scrolling groups or not? I did leave a message on their customer support site, but generally their turn-around is 24 hours.

    If it doesn't support scrolling items, should it really be called a Ribbon? seeems like it would just be a souped up tab control to me.

    Edit: here's a link.
    http://www.devexpress.com/Help/?document=XtraBars

    Dev Express Website wrote:

    The Ribbon is the state-of-the-art user interface, introduced in Microsoft Office 2007.


    But the Outlook 2007 Scrolls!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    jaylittle wrote:
    We use a lot of DevExpress controls for our .NET winform applications here at work and god do they suck.  The controls are set up in a totally non-standard fashion, have custom GUIs for configuring them and don't bother to conform to any standard of control interaction that MS seems to follow.

    Hopefully Microsoft will be providing it's own ribbon control in Orcas or something.


    Their website is terrible, and they're dogfooding their own Webcontrols.

    Yegads! Stay well away!

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    jaylittle wrote: We use a lot of DevExpress controls for our .NET winform applications here at work and god do they suck.  The controls are set up in a totally non-standard fashion, have custom GUIs for configuring them and don't bother to conform to any standard of control interaction that MS seems to follow.

    Hopefully Microsoft will be providing it's own ribbon control in Orcas or something.


    Their website is terrible, and they're dogfooding their own Webcontrols.

    Yegads! Stay well away!


    Dogfooding?

    Too late, we have an enterprise subscription, as their reports were the best we found.. all the other stuff is just bonus, but I want to implement the Ribbon, but it doesn't scroll...wtf

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Well I wouldn't like to comment on the quality of the DevExpress control, but surely the Ribbon isn't meant to scroll? Isn't the whole point that it dynamically collapses/expands groups to best fit the available space?

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Andy's right. It's not meant to scroll. Have you ever seen the Office ribbon scroll? Have you ever seen any menu or toolbar scroll?

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    AndyC wrote:
    Well I wouldn't like to comment on the quality of the DevExpress control, but surely the Ribbon isn't meant to scroll? Isn't the whole point that it dynamically collapses/expands groups to best fit the available space?


    The office2007 Ribbon scrolls, doesn't it?
    The Channel9 Ribbon scrolls.., maybe I just misunderstand the whole 'Ribbon' thing, and therefore are trying to use it as something it shouldn't be used for.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    Andy's right. It's not meant to scroll. Have you ever seen the Office ribbon scroll? Have you ever seen any menu or toolbar scroll?

    Yes, I thought so, maybe I am crazy, I was fairly confident that I have infact seen the Outlook 2007 Ribbon scroll.

    Someone please clarify, am I going mad?

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Yes, you are.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    phreaks wrote:
    
    Yes, I thought so, maybe I am crazy, I was fairly confident that I have infact seen the Outlook 2007 Ribbon scroll.

    Someone please clarify, am I going mad?


    A little experimentation with Word suggests that it will enable a scroll arrow if all the following conditions are met:

    •  The Window is not small enough to disable the Ribbon entirely.
    •  All groups have been collapsed to the minimum level (a drop down per group)
    • There isn't enough space to fit all the groups on.

    You can see this if you select the Insert tab and make the window thin.

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    Yes, you are.


    hehe, I guess I am.

    I was just thinking it would make a cool and extensible navigation control, if the thing scrolled.

    Is there a trick make a scrollable Tab control? 

  • User profile image
    phreaks

    AndyC wrote:
    

    phreaks wrote: 
    Yes, I thought so, maybe I am crazy, I was fairly confident that I have infact seen the Outlook 2007 Ribbon scroll.

    Someone please clarify, am I going mad?


    A little experimentation with Word suggests that it will enable a scroll arrow if all the following conditions are met:

    •  The Window is not small enough to disable the Ribbon entirely.
    •  All groups have been collapsed to the minimum level (a drop down per group)
    • There isn't enough space to fit all the groups on.

    You can see this if you select the Insert tab and make the window thin.



    So, I am not going mad afterall. That is a relief.

    That is exactly the feature set I was looking for.

  • User profile image
    andur

    TommyCarlier wrote:
    Andy's right. It's not meant to scroll. Have you ever seen the Office ribbon scroll? Have you ever seen any menu or toolbar scroll?


    The niner toolbar thing at the top of this page scrolls... But yeah, I've never seen a menu or toolbar scroll in any program.

  • User profile image
    Alex

    jaylittle wrote:
    We use a lot of DevExpress controls for our .NET winform applications here at work and god do they suck. 

    Really ?
    I use them in my everyday work and I'm very happy with them.
    What's your problems ?

    jaylittle wrote:

    The controls are set up in a totally non-standard fashion, have custom GUIs for configuring them and don't bother to conform to any standard of control interaction that MS seems to follow.

    Of course, additional features come with a cost.

    jaylittle wrote:

    Hopefully Microsoft will be providing it's own ribbon control in Orcas or something.

    It looks like Microsoft takes care of partners. They only ship entry level components to let third parties sell high level components

  • User profile image
    BitFlipper

    We use DevComponent's DotNetBar controls.  They have a ribbon bar that seems to track Office 2007's ribbon bar look and functionality pretty closely (they claim to be the 1st to provide a 3rd party ribbon control, and I believe that since they have had it soon after the 1st Office beta came out). 

    I would say their controls are above average.  Not super, just above average.  Their documentation is not greate either but they do seem to be responsive and frequently update their controls with bug fixes and new features. You can also get the source code, depending on which license you choose.

    http://www.devcomponents.com/dotnetbar/

  • User profile image
    Miha Markic [MVP C#]

    jaylittle wrote:
    We use a lot of DevExpress controls for our .NET winform applications here at work and god do they suck. 

    Is that so?

    jaylittle wrote:
    The controls are set up in a totally non-standard fashion


    Care to elaborate?
    jaylittle wrote:
    , have custom GUIs for configuring them

    Having a cusomt GUI is a plus that lets you quickly adjust and preview the control. Would you rather set each control in Properties window? You still can.
    jaylittle wrote:
    and don't bother to conform to any standard of control interaction that MS seems to follow.
     
    What standards?

    jaylittle wrote:
    
    Hopefully Microsoft will be providing it's own ribbon control in Orcas or something.

    I see that DevExpress provide way better controls than MS does. Afterall MS isn't providing any control usually (ok, they provide few controls which are usually very useless for professional work). They provide excellent development environment instead.

    I use DX controls for my business because I find them an excellent choice (not all of them but most).
    Also I see here and there that people often don't understand or they don't put much effort in using (not only DX) controls and thus they are dissapointed sometimes.
    Note that I am also a DXSquad member because I belive in the quality of DX controls.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.