Coffeehouse Thread

51 posts

XNA Express Beta Now Available

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

The XNA Express Beta is now available

This is a cross-platform gaming library for Windows and XBox 360.  This beta release targets the development of games for Windows, but the final version (available this holiday season) will allow you to target Windows and XBox 360! 

So get started and let the homebrew revolution begin Smiley 

Get it now and let us know what you built.

Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Damn, you beat me by seconds! Smiley

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

The page says you need Visual C# Express. Does that mean it doesn't work with regular Visual Studio 2005?

• User profile image
    andokai

It says it requires C# Express. Does that mean Visual Studio won't work with it?

Edit: Damn you Tommy Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jeffsand

TommyCarlier wrote:
    The page says you need Visual C# Express. Does that mean it doesn't work with regular Visual Studio 2005?

There is a good FAQ here.

Q: Are there any prerequisites to run  XNA Game Studio Express?
    A:
    Yes, you must download and install Visual C# Express and the latest DirectX runtime updates. If you wish to modify/created audio files, you must download the full August 2006 DirectX SDK in order to use the XACT audio tool.

Q: What is the difference between XNA Game Studio Express and the XNA Framework
    A:
    XNA Game Studio Express is a set of tools based on Visual C# Express 2005. The XNA Framework is included with XNA Game Studio Express and it is the set of managed (.NET) libraries based on the .NET Framework 2.0 that developers use.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

andokai wrote:
    It says it requires C# Express. Does that mean Visual Studio won't work with it?

Edit: Damn you Tommy

Damn is today "Miss by seconds" day?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

But, I was gonna say that! (no, just kidding)

• User profile image
    nishantkumar

Not able to download! [C]

The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page.

• User profile image
    andokai

Smiley To answer mine and Tommy's question it seems it does indeed require Visual C# Express and won't work with any other version of Visual Studio.

• User profile image
    briankel

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, "it works for me." Smiley

I would suggest that you keep trying. Sometimes when we prop downloads it can take some time to filter across all of the different servers. If you're still having problems, though, please let me know and I'll get in touch with the XNA team.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

nishantkumar wrote:
    Not able to download!

The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page.

I believe the download is still propogating as I have encountered that error too.

Refreshing the page usually fixes it.

• User profile image
    Gambit

I downloaded the beta and looked at the code for SpaceWar.  It looks cool. The Beta will probably limit my WoW time for the next few weeks Big Smile

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Can't wait to see some Niner games in the Sandbox.

• User profile image
    jbwebb

Cool, I've been looking forward to this. Downloading now.

What does everyone think the main benefit will be from XGE?
    New games developers? More original ideas? Better development tools?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Neato!Smiley

• User profile image
    andur

Anyone know if it is possible to have 2 versions of VS2005 installed side by side?¿? I'd like to take a look at XNA, but the msi installer won't let me without VS C# Express installed, I mainly just want to look at the documentation and see if its worth using or not.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    jbwebb

Andur, they're saying in the XNA forum that VS2005 will live along side C# Express.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.