Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Media Center + Dish Network + Extender

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jmacdonagh

I'm wondering about the ability to change channels while using a Media Center Extender (my XBox 360 in this case), when the actual Media Center / Dish Network STB is in a different room. I know that the STB is connected via Coaxial to my wall, and then my TV is connected to the STB. The TV always has to be on Channel 3, and the STB is the one which changes channel.

The question is, I'm thinking about hooking the STB up to a Media Center PC in a different room and using my 360 as an extender. I'd watch TV basically through my extender. The question is, can the actual Media Center PC actually change the channel? If not, is there a solution to this (fairly common I would assume) problem?

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

So I've done a little research and it looks like most MCE PCs come with IR Blasters, which basically convert MCE remote commands to STB commands.

So I'm assuming that hitting Channel Up on the Xbox remote while it is extending Media Center will send that command to the actual media center, which will convert it and "blast" it to the STB.

I'll have to do a little more research on this.

• User profile image
    PuneetTaneja

jmacdonagh said:
    So I've done a little research and it looks like most MCE PCs come with IR Blasters, which basically convert MCE remote commands to STB commands.

So I'm assuming that hitting Channel Up on the Xbox remote while it is extending Media Center will send that command to the actual media center, which will convert it and "blast" it to the STB.

I'll have to do a little more research on this.

I need to do exactly the same. How was your experience after hooking up the IR blaster with IR cable?

I have a Linksys MCEx. I think, as your also said, hitting channel up/down on its remote should pass the control to MCE, which then should use the blaster to send IR signal to the STB.

One other question I had was with this kind of setup, what experience does one get with the TV recordings - specifically recording the shows that are out in the future. As I think MCE won't have knowledge of the STB channel guide, how can it be setup to record a program that is listed a few days out on the STB guide?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.