Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Yeah, food prices

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

Seems to me that meat is cheap and veggies, fruit are expensive.

Is this true in your neck of the woods?

Cows eating out of the garden? Kill the cow? What's up?

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I always like the ones who plant apple trees in their yard, then let most of the fruit fall off the tree and rot on the ground.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

That's to attract game for hunters, but the apples are more valuable than the venison it seems, these days...
    Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I've seen this happen in suburban neighborhoods. I don't get it. I mean, the apples just fall off the tree and rot. Either make pie, or give them away or whatever. Some days I want to walk over there with a golf club and practice distance shots.

Fore!

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

At least at the grossery store i have noticed the same thing. vegies and freash fruits are expensive. 
    You would think we would try to make all the healthy foods the cheep foods and more accessable to every one.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040105071229.htm

My wife and I grew a garden this year. just a small one. Between buying the seeds, plants, soyal, manouer and wattering each day, surprisingly it became a very expensive project.

If i am not mistaken i think the US government gives finatial assistansts to farmers just to help ends meet.

Its an interesting subject you have brought up.

• User profile image
    jonorossi

The prices of fruit in Australia are a joke at the moment. Banana's are about $15/kg because of the cyclone in Innisfail last year. But a lot of fruits and vegs are expensive like ULP; I'd be more worried about the price of ULP going up more than the price of fruit however, you are discussing different areas but petrol is expensive everywhere.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

jason818_253.33 wrote:
    At least at the grossery store i have noticed the same thing. vegies and freash fruits are expensive. 
    You would think we would try to make all the healthy foods the cheep foods and more accessable to every one.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040105071229.htm

My wife and I grew a garden this year. just a small one. Between buying the seeds, plants, soyal, manouer and wattering each day, surprisingly it became a very expensive project.

If i am not mistaken i think the US government gives finatial assistansts to farmers just to help ends meet.

Its an interesting subject you have brought up.

Drewnowski wrote:
    The reason healthier diets are beyond the reach of many people is that such diets cost more.

But I mean recently, this past two months here, prices for fresh fruits and vegetables has risen sharply. Very sharply this past month, here, in fact.

* Also, beef is always on sale now, very good prices...

It's more than just the price of transportation isn't it?

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

If you think fuits and veggies are expensive now, just wait till everyone buys E85 cars.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    If you think fuits and veggies are expensive now, just wait till everyone buys E85 cars.

E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline.

So I'm competing with my car for food...  

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

jason818_253.33 wrote:

This of your veg garden as an investment.  First year is always hardest -- it takes less time to prepare in sebsequent years, the financial layout will be reduced as you should already have most of the hardware required, and as you get better at it you're crop will increase.

Seeds are pretty cheap, buying plants is more expensive.  Once you get the hang of growing everything from seed expense will reduce. You'll gradually pick up tricks that make things cheaper and easier. In-soil watering systems (drainpipes with holes at regular intervals) will reduce watering as less will evaporate from the soil surface. Creating your own compost heap will reduce the need for manure. Keeping some seed back from last year's crop will reduce your need to buy new seed every year.

Ther internet is a surprising resource for gardening information, too.

But the important questions are:
      Did you enjoy it?
      Did the food taste better?

Herbie

• User profile image
    dahat

I suspect that part of the reason that the beef is so cheap is because of the ongoing (and quite bad) drought in many places of the upper Midwest.

Here in South Dakota hay and grain prices have skyrocketed to the point that many farmers and ranchers are forced to sell their entire herds as they no longer can afford to keep them and feed them and of course with the shortage of feed it is far easier to slaughter than to move them to a less stricken area.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

dahat wrote:

I suspect that part of the reason that the beef is so cheap is because of the ongoing (and quite bad) drought in many places of the upper Midwest.

Here in South Dakota hay and grain prices have skyrocketed to the point that many farmers and ranchers are forced to sell their entire herds as they no longer can afford to keep them and feed them and of course with the shortage of feed it is far easier to slaughter than to move them to a less stricken area.

Now that makes loads more sense than the price of oil.

• User profile image
    Red5

dahat wrote:

The ranch in WY that I will be hunting at in October is having the same issues.  They have already used up all the available alfalfa and hay on their livestock and it isn't even fall yet.  Maybe they will ask me to take some beef home this year instead of vension?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.