Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Live Writer blog banned from Google search (natural language search, not URL)?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Interesting...

Something fishy here. Of course, search engine owners have control, ultimately, of the results for any given query, but how could it be that a popular blog (lots of inbound links) would be omitted from Google search results given a query of the form "Windows Live Writer"? Of course, the URL textual query pattern of "windowslivewriter" returns the expected results: a link to the Windows Live Writer site on spaces.live.com...

What's up here?

Thoughts?
    C

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Oh, that's disgusting.

Hey, let's blame a rogue server on the farm! Seems pretty flagarant.

Are bids for first-page search results per word coming next?

Internet search is going the way of TV news...

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

I wouldn't read too much into this.

• User profile image
    Charles

Well, one is left with the need to read something into this... It seems rather odd.

Of course, perhaps it is naive to think that businesses built on search would not use tried and true competitive business tactics to gain an edge over competitors for their own products. All businesses do this. It's called Business. Still......

Could you imagine a world where "contextual search" really means search results that benefit the search engine owner in the context of their business plan and not the true relevance/accuracy of the search results?

Google's Big Brother Search Engine Services: Get the results that We want you to see...

Not for me. Search must remain free, as in free and freedom from business subjectivity in search algorithms.

Time for me to boycott Google. I must say I hate the egregious use of AJAX on Windows Live Search, but what the heck, at least the results aren't tainted (and they better stay that way).

C

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

The reason I don't read so much into this is that "Windows", "Live", and "Writer" are all very common words.  In a sense this is just Microsoft marketing karma for using dictionary words to describe our products.

Charles wrote:
    I must say I hate the egregious use of AJAX on Windows Live Search

Me too!

• User profile image
    Rowan

This does look very interesting, but something tells me that a page with over 400 HTML errors and enough code to sink a boat doesn't deserve a high rank anyway.

There has to be a better reason than "Google doesn't want people to find Live Writer".

• User profile image
    Charles

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    The reason I don't read so much into this is that "Windows", "Live", and "Writer" are all very common words.  In a sense this is just Microsoft marketing karma for using dictionary words to describe our products.

Well, wrap the three words in quotes... You still get the wrong result set.
    C

• User profile image
    AndyC

Matthew van Eerde wrote:

Charles wrote: I must say I hate the egregious use of AJAX on Windows Live Search

Me too!

Whilst the "scrollbar" has some issues, I have to say I vastly prefer the WLS results display in general. After using it for a while I find the constant paging in Google to be rather frustrating (although I still use it a lot as the results are generally better!)

• User profile image
    Charles

AndyC wrote:

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    Charles wrote: I must say I hate the egregious use of AJAX on Windows Live Search

Me too!

Whilst the "scrollbar" has some issues, I have to say I vastly prefer the WLS results display in general. After using it for a while I find the constant paging in Google to be rather frustrating (although I still use it a lot as the results are generally better!)

Are the results really that much better? In the light of this post, I'd argue that WLS is more accurate and without possible business-subjectivity-tainted algorithms...

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Charles wrote:
    wrap the three words in quotes... You still get the wrong result set.

The result set looks right to me... we could quibble about ordering, but every page in the result set has the search term...

• User profile image
    LaBomba

I've come across this before...

I use Google as my primary search engine, i noticed a couple weeks back that when i tried finding the MSN/Live Spaces of a Microsoft team on Google it just would not come up!

I had to go to MSN Search to find the team blog I was looking for and it took me all of 6 seconds, first result bam!

It really does seem like Google are leaving Live Spaces out of their results...I don't like this behavior, time to drop Google as my primary search engine?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Remeber what happened when I put the MSN Search box on the Blogger site, they sent me a nastygram.  Seems Googles not too keen on MSN, Microsoft or Windows Live content.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

I smell a Google Park coming on...

ohh Jamie? Big Smile

• User profile image
    Charles

Matthew van Eerde wrote:

Charles wrote: wrap the three words in quotes... You still get the wrong result set.

The result set looks right to me... we could quibble about ordering, but every page in the result set has the search term...

Do a search on windowslivemail. That's the correct result set, based on inbound links...
    C

• User profile image
    JChung2006

It doesn't surprise anybody that Google does this, does it?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

JChung2006 wrote:
     It doesn't surprise anybody that Google does this, does it?

That said, do you use Google as your search engine?

• User profile image
    Charles

Now that Scoble has blogged this and will be heading to Google tomorrow to get an answer (among other things...), we'll get to the bottom of this.

Go, Scoble, go.

C

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Charles wrote:
    Do a search on windowslivemail. That's the correct result set, based on inbound links...

Nah... windowslivemail is a much less common term.  Hardly any of the pages in the "Windows Live Mail" search have windowslivemail in them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.