Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Stop for ice

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

My great Aunt and Uncle, with whom my family traveled with some when I was a boy, used to pronounce from the back seat that they "need to stop for ice".   (It was code for the liquor store).

Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

...and?

• User profile image
    Angus

What is your point?

W3bbo, what does the text under your avatar mean? (What is the meaning of "Baiters" in the sense you use it?)

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Angus wrote:
    W3bbo, what does the text under your avatar mean? (What is the meaning of "Baiters" in the sense you use it?)

read it out loud, it's like having a "Mass Debate".

• User profile image
    dahat

Shame they weren't looking for ice water.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

W3bbo wrote:

Angus wrote:W3bbo, what does the text under your avatar mean? (What is the meaning of "Baiters" in the sense you use it?)

read it out loud, it's like having a "Mass Debate".

I used to go to school with a guy named Brent Bates....He got teased some, "Anything else I can do for you, Master Bates?", in an english butler accent.

• User profile image
    Tensor

I went to school with A. Virgin. Seriously.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Tensor wrote:
    I went to school with A. Virgin. Seriously.

A friend of mine says, but I don't know for sure, that he went to school a long time ago with a guy named Doug Worms. Slightly humorous Smiley

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

JohnAskew wrote:
    My great Aunt and Uncle, with whom my family traveled with some when I was a boy, used to pronounce from the back seat that they "need to stop for ice".   (It was code for the liquor store).

You bring up a really great subject. Ice. I personaly preffer water at room temprature and from clean a container. As long as its sanitary i consider my self fortunate. "Ice" and all that it symbalises is a lugsury that we take for grantade.

Sanitary water suply is a big problem to many and water is one of the first basic needs of survival.

"Of a population of roughly 6.1 billion, more than 1 billion lack access to potable water. The World Health Organization says that at any time, up to half of humanity has one of the six main diseases -- diarrhea, schistosomiasis, or trachoma, or infestation with ascaris, guinea worm, or hookworm -- associated with poor drinking water and inadequate sanitation. About 5 million people die each year from poor drinking water"
    http://whyfiles.org/131fresh_water/2.html i like the maps on this site, im a very visual person.

Its great that your relatives were teaching you about writing code at a young age.
    first you bring up the price of vegies and now your talking about ice. your realy hitting it on the head these days JohnAskew.

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

Angus wrote:
    W3bbo, what does the text under your avatar mean?

ROFL.
    I don't know why. It's childish, but....  ROFL.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

KosherCoder wrote:

ROFL.
    I don't know why. It's childish, but....  ROFL.

What could have been a great thread is turning out to be an unfortunate display of our inmaturaty. 

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

a great thread?
    There is no point in trying to make people feel guilty about having water. It is possible to be motivated to aid the poor without feeling guilty about having things, you know.

To keep up the fun part of this thread, a true story:
    Walking down the Wildwood, NJ boardwalk two summers ago, I actually heard Amanda Hugenkiss paged over the city's speakers. I still can't beleive someone fell for it.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

No one should be made to feel guilty about thier prosparity or their good fortune and of course, a person should be glad they have water. 

Regarding guilt, the world could use a little more tenderness in feeling when faced with the issues at hand.

i didnt meen to imply that people shoudnt have fun and make jokes. I just thought some of the joke material being shared was inmature. sorry.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Things folks born before the First World War say are quite amusing.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

We used to get modem support calls from a Mr. Richard Head.  We thought, at first, it was a joke, but what can you do.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

ScanIAm wrote:

We used to get modem support calls from a Mr. Richard Head.  We thought, at first, it was a joke, but what can you do.

That's also the name of the head Golf pro at Mountain Ranch GC in Fairfield Bay, AR. Guess what he gets called after lessons...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.