Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Removing Vista :p

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ink

May not be exactly the right forum to ask, but seems like most of the M$ gurus hang around these parts... So yeah, I'll get right to the point, a few days ago I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I downloaded the Pre-RC1 build of Vista... Played around with it, now want to remove it... So, how do I go about doing it? - My primary hd has 2 partitions, one running XP SP1, and the other running (or rather ran) Vista. I thought removing it, was gonna be as simple as just formatting the Vista partition, but no, Vista is gone, but at boot it still asks which Windows I want to boot, Vista or the earlier version... So... how? - a quick reply would be most appreciated, since I need this computer for work purposes, and btw, reformatting the whole drive and reinstalling windows isnt an option either Wink So, yeah, help, pretty please with a cherry on top Tongue Out (off_topic) I don't know if I'm just so spoiled by OS X, or what, but Vista seemed so... not very impressive... I mean its much better then xp, yes, you cant argue with that, but it just does't really seem to live up to all the noise Microsoft was/is making about it for the last 3 years (btw, remember WinHEC 2003? - oh how advanced it looked back then)... I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not some M$ hater, I would love to see Microsoft release something amazing, but lately it just seems like the management is just killing the company and is holding everything back, I mean you'd think that some of the world best programmers could make an OS w/o having to go back to the drawing board like 3 times...(off_topic)

• User profile image
    jamie

look on your root for boot.ini - and edit out the vista line ( at least thats how it is in xp)

?

• User profile image
    Ink

Looked into that already, says edit some w/e else .exe file, which already doesnt excist since I wiped that partition already Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sabot

Next time you install any BETA OS run it in a virtualised environment, then it's easy to get rid of it.

However ...

Dual-booting with vista can be a little tricky to remove because of the new bootloader.

Playing with dual-boot systems has killed many people's hard drives.
    I would suggest massive back-ups before you try to remove part of a dual-boot system.

If you mess up, you might be unable to boot to any of your partitions. You do this at your own risk.

Here's the basic steps you need to do:

1. Backup, backup, backup
    2. Reboot and Boot to your XP CD-ROM
    3. Start the Recovery Console
    4. Run Fixboot
    5. Run fixmbr to reset the master boot record
    6. Exit the Recovery Console
    7. Reboot
    8. To remove the extra entry, edit the boot.ini file to remove the "Microsoft Windows Vista" entry.
    9. Format Your Vista Partition

... how hard is that?

Personally I think 'Vista' is a bar between Whistler and Blackcomb ... the story isn't over yet, just a stop on the way.

• User profile image
    Ink

Yeah.... Backing up like 300gb might be a bit of a problem Wink ...but what I noticed after the vista install, is that on the primary partition of the harddrive it left a 'boot' folder w/ some font files, some exe and a few other things... what if I juts remove that or something? think anything is gonna change? - just a problem with that, its read-only and you cant really uncheck it so you can delete it... [next time I'm trying out a new os, I'm just installing it on my Mac, atleast there its as easy as clicking delete afterwards Wink]--btw, blackcomb, didnt they change the name of that lke 2 times already?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ink wrote:
    May not be exactly the right forum to ask, but seems like most of the M$ gurus hang around these parts...

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not some M$ hater...

Ink wrote:
    I would love to see Microsoft release something amazing, but lately it just seems like the management is just killing the company and is holding everything back, I mean you'd think that some of the world best programmers could make an OS w/o having to go back to the drawing board like 3 times...(off_topic)

Uh? 3 times? What do you mean?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ink wrote:
    btw, blackcomb, didnt they change the name of that lke 2 times already?

No.

• User profile image
    Ink

I mean like few times they had to like pretty much start over because w/e they did count really handle the load of future apps and such... or something like that... plus the whole thing w/ WinFS... like they started it, but then threw it out, went back to NTFS... and etc etc... just problems non-stop... Nice comic btw, I like Big Smile

• User profile image
    Ink

What about renaming Blackcomb to Vienna? If I remember correctly it was renamed this last January

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ink wrote:
    I mean like few times they had to like pretty much start over

You mean, like, once (XP -> Win2k3 codebase)?
    Ink wrote:
    because w/e they did count really handle the load of future apps and such... or something like that...

I have no idea what you're talking about Smiley
    Ink wrote:
    plus the whole thing w/ WinFS... like they started it, but then threw it out, went back to NTFS... and etc etc...

They never "went back to NTFS", it was always there.

And WinFS technologies are appearing in other releases, like ADO.NET vNext or C# 3.0/LINQ.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Ink wrote:
    What about renaming Blackcomb to Vienna? If I remember correctly it was renamed this last January

Yes, so thats once, besides, it's a code name, who cares how many times they change it Smiley

There was one reset, around July 2004 when the code base was swapped from XP to Server 2003.

WinFS is not a physical file system; rather, it provides rich data modeling capabilities on top of the NTFS file system. It still uses NTFS to store its data in physical files.

Many features have been dropped, but that how software development works when you let people know all the details of what your working on, or you can just keep people in the dark and spring it on them at the last moment, much like apple does with O$X. 

• User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:
    And WinFS technologies are appearing in other releases, like ADO.NET vNext or C# 3.0/LINQ.

But it isn't WinFS is it? It sounds more like the ravaged remains being shared around the different technology teams.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote: And WinFS technologies are appearing in other releases, like ADO.NET vNext or C# 3.0/LINQ.

But it isn't WinFS is it? It sounds more like the ravaged remains being shared around the different technology teams.

lol @ ravaged remains

• User profile image
    Sabot

Rossj wrote:

PaoloM wrote: And WinFS technologies are appearing in other releases, like ADO.NET vNext or C# 3.0/LINQ.

WinFS wasn't a packaged lump of code all tried together with spagetti.

A lot of WinFS was really about cracking a problem.

Microsoft worked out as it went on, devil in the detail and all that, that WinFS wasn't really going to get them where they wanted to go, but they had learnt a lot, these lesson are going into the new technology ... maybe if the actual code doesn't.

I think it helped that Microsoft shared their thinking with us and I would like to think that it was from our input that helped them change their minds?

• User profile image
    Ink

GO ME! - took me a while but finally found a way to remove vista very easily w/o the whole backup/recovery from disk thing... Just use an app called VistaBootPRO http://vistabootpro.org/ - there just click Remove Vista Boot Manager or w/e the button is called, and in seconds its gone; then just format your Vista drive, and you're done. No problems or anything. Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

Sabot wrote:

WinFS wasn't a packaged lump of code all tried together with spagetti.

A lot of WinFS was really about cracking a problem.

Microsoft worked out as it went on, devil in the detail and all that, that WinFS wasn't really going to get them where they wanted to go, but they had learnt a lot, these lesson are going into the new technology ... maybe if the actual code doesn't.

I think the official excuse was the user experience wasn't it? Something that I believe was demoed over a year ago, at least according to Eagle in one of his lucid moments Smiley, but at least part of that problem was solved.

Has the problem disappeared, or have Microsoft just decided it is too hard a problem to solve?  Dismembering its corpse and giving bits to different teams doesn't really solve that problem - does it?

• User profile image
    Ink

But hey, thats why all the Mac users are so happy, because unlike Microsoft, Apple doesn't say, ok, look people, in 10 years we may start doing this something... we dont have the technology or knowledge to do it right now, but juts keep in mind that its somewhere in the future... So even if Apple starts something and doesnt succeed, no-one but a few dozen people know about it, so theres no critique or anything, but when Microsoft announces like 10 major changes, and 5 years later it turns out that at least 5/10 of those changes wont be possible at all, and of those 5 thats left, 4 are borrowing features from previous versions of Windows... then the whole company gets bombarded with critique and hate mail. As I said, I would love to see Microsoft succeed, I really would, as I company I like them very much, but just doesn't seem like they were doing much within the last 5 years. I mean I still remember back in 2001 when I just got a brand new Dell (1.6 p4/128 ram/16mb ati rage), and when I first booted XP, I was like wow, this is really amazing, this is years ahead of anything else on the market including OS X, congrats Microsoft. But for the last few years since I've been testing out Longhorn/Vista (since 4074) it's been nothing but dissapointments...

• User profile image
    Rossj

Microsoft do plenty, you are extrapolating one or two projects out to the whole company and it doesn't work like that. 

Are you using safari now or is your enter key broken?
    If you are going to post here regularly and use a Mac it may be best to get Camino ..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.